[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

Also, does this mean the whole Jeyne Poole story as Arya is cut?

But Mel didn't see Jeyne Poole, she saw Alys Karstark. Or am I wrong? I need to refresh my memory. By the way, this Alys plot sounds to me like they're gonna cut it or change it anyway.

And I'm pretty sure she doesn't know Arya and Jon's sister are the same person.

I thought it was quite a revelation that Melisandre and Thoros both spoke high Valyrian.

The writers are trying to condense many separate threads together in a way that conveys the essence of the overall story. I think they've been pretty successful this season, but are we supposed to glean any clues from what they're doing?

I was surprised that they were using Gendry as a stand in for Edric, since I was sure we'd read about Gendry in future books. I'm also starting to worry that they're condensing Arya's arc too much. I hope they don't cut her journey to Braavos short!

one of my favorite parts about davos is that he smuggles edric out to save him. the line about it, wow. so much respect for the guy. so i hope they keep that if gendry is replacing edric. maybe they'll keep him getting sent to lys too and he will run into arya and be the reason she comes back? i'd say anything is game with all the changes they make haha

But Mel didn't see Jeyne Poole, she saw Alys Karstark. Or am I wrong? I need to refresh my memory. By the way, this Alys plot sounds to me like they're gonna cut it or change it anyway.

And I'm pretty sure she doesn't know Arya and Jon's sister are the same person.

No you're right. It is Alys Karstark on the horse. But I guess if Mel doesn't know Arya is Arya Stark then she could mistake Alys for Jon Snow's sister.

I have just been wondering for a while if they will keep the Jayne Poole stuff. Probably not the right place to post it.

My take from the scene is that D&D knew from GRRM that Gendry was expendable and had no future storyline in the books so they decided to use him in this manner.

I just hope this storyline is resolved quickly, because I want Arya to be kidnapped by the Hound already. The BWB on the show is nothing like it was in the books.

Ok so gendry is going to Dragonstone....if it plays out the way it should....that means Davos has to convince Stannis to not sacrafice Gendry and then ships him off someplace to make sure he doesn't .....Meli goes with Stannis to the wall ....I wonder if they'll do the scence with Selys's uncle

That would make sense if they didn't have to worry about the logistics of running the show. They don't have a storyline for Gendry in the free cities unless they mean to work him into Arya's storyline in Bravos, which would ****. More likely they burn him and let her find out about it so it becomes one more connection with her old life cut.

My take from the scene is that D&D knew from GRRM that Gendry was expendable and had no future storyline in the books so they decided to use him in this manner.

I just hope this storyline is resolved quickly, because I want Arya to be kidnapped by the Hound already. The BWB on the show is nothing like it was in the books.

I imagine Arya is kidnapped soon. She needs to be outside of the Twins soon..

But the thing that annoyed me was Mellisandre saying "Valar Morgulis", that's not her saying. That's the Faceless Men's saying, because they worship death. She does not.

And they used the valar dohaeris response as well. I'm with you. Very disappointing that they are stealing some of the flavor of the house of black and white for the red priests. I guess they could be using it as something more generic to eastern priests to help the audience identify the faceless men as priests but TBH I don't get the feeling they are thinking that far ahead.

Something really intrigued me: Mel's conversation with Arya. Mainly the "We will meet again"

So, I guess?, George really has told Dave, Dan and now Bryan, 'the rest of the story', tho I don't know what to make of it.

I honestly don't think it's an invention, except for the dialog.

Yeah but she was greeting Thoros with it, it wasn't said as part of a thought, it was like a code word of Red Priests.

Maybe they will move the main temple of the Red Priests to Braavos, it's in Braavos that the "response" to those words is important.

This feels really big to me.

When will Mel see her again? Also, does this mean the whole Jeyne Poole story as Arya is cut? Because now Mel knows what Arya looks like?

Mel doesn't always see things perfectly in her flames, she might believe that she's going to see this girl again, but it turns out she meets Alys Karstark AND Jeyne Poole who are both believed to be her.

Or maybe she didn't know who Arya was?! Because why wouldn't she have taken her to Stannis. Stannis holding Arya would be really good for him.

She didn't know who Arya was, her mission was to get Gendry, she obviously didn't know who Arya was or she'd probably have offered a couple bags of gold for her as well.

Yea, Mel never learned Arya's name here, so its not a reference in anyway to Jon Snow's Book 5 arc

Its definitely something in the future of the books.

or not in them at all.

I think it's just a hint that Melisandre thinks she sees this girl in her future but it's just someone that looks like her, I don't put 100% faith in her words about them "meeting again"

That would make sense if they didn't have to worry about the logistics of running the show. They don't have a storyline for Gendry in the free cities unless they mean to work him into Arya's storyline in Bravos, which would ****. More likely they burn him and let her find out about it so it becomes one more connection with her old life cut.

Nah, it's seems pretty clear that Davos is going to rescue Gendry from the flames. Where Gendry goes from there seems pretty up in the air, I don't think he's going to run back to the Brotherhood, they just sold him out after he offered to help them.

I imagine Arya is kidnapped soon. She needs to be outside of the Twins soon..

A clip from next week's episode shows:

Arya running through the woods in darkness and being grabbed by The Hound(can't confirm it's the Hound but it's pretty dang likely), my guess is it will be at the end of the episode to give unsullied a OMFG moment...

They're really setting up the importance of religion, and it gives us clues to what we'll see in the actual book series moving on too. Arya is completely opposed to this religion of light, because she is with the god of Death, darkness, and the Great Other.

mark my words.

I agree.... a division is clearly starting to form... in the preview for next week Arya says she serves the god of Death.

Nice variation of the Braavos music playing after the scene with Arya and Mel.

"We will meet again," - Possible book 6/7 foreshadowing?

I also wonder if Melisandre's new knowledge of and fascination with Thoros' resurrections may be significant.

The line of Arya being a girl and not understanding why Melisandre is a welcome view, was the best of the scene :D

Other things were just... not right. In how they were done now (how Arya let her friend be taken away against his will with no good fight, how she did not take Mellisandre's hand off for handling her as she did, how the BwB suddenly lost their cool) and in where it seems to be headed.

Yeah, I'd like to see Gendry being knighted by Stannis himself and becoming one his most loyal men. He could replace Ser Justin Massey. It'd be a very major change I'd really enjoy.

And Justin Massey is going to Braavos, yeah I like that

I think the most unintentionally bad part of this, is that it sort of gives away Jon Snow's resurrection.. That is the biggest giveaway from this scene.

We're never told that Melisandre knows how to revive people from the dead, but now we are given a massive spoiler that she indeed is probably going to use the exact same 'magic' Thoros uses on Beric to bring back Jon Snow. Potentially creating a large plothole from the book and the show in how they handle Jon Snow's death.

I thought the whole thing was a ridiculous mess.

Edit- To me, it feels like so much of the show is going well in any given episode, and then they just poop all over it with some random scene that makes absolutely NO sense.

Archived