[BOOK SPOILERS] Meera vs. Osha

teemo

I didn't mind the banter too much, but when Jojen awoke and I was like o look I see Jon Snow amongst enemies, it just seemed kind of useless. Couldn't they have him say something that would get Osha and Rickon out of the way, and then Bran, Jojen, Hodor and Meera could continue their adventure.

You have completely missed the point. Jojen saying Jon is on the wrong side of the wall surrounded by enemies changes their game plan does it not? They were headed to the Wall to Castle Black and Jon Snow. Now what do they do? Side note question, did Bran learn that his uncle Benjen has been missing for quite a long time?

When are they going to actually get rid of Osha, when they finally reach the wall and she's all like lol im not going back beyond the wall even though I walked all the way to the wall knowing I would have to go beyond it but I'm not going beyond it?

When they set out towards the Wall they were not intending to go past it, they still might not be intending to go past it. Jojen seems to know that they're going to go North of the Wall but Bran and company might not see it yet.

I would expect Osha to refuse to go beyond the Wall because of the White Walkers, she has quite a bit of loyalty to Bran and Rickon but everyone has a line they won't cross, that line for Osha is the wall.

I thought it was a very important scene for three reasons:

1) Meera exists as a character - she is maternal to Jojen and eventually she becomes a protector of Bran

2) Osha splits with Rickon and Shaggy Dog from the others to go to Skagos, this is explaining that.

3) Jojen is sickly and this might explain why Howland Reed hasn't been able to leave the Crag (he might be a greenseer also)

4) Jojen's dream is potentially predicting either a.) the attack on the Wall or b.) events in TWoW.

I thought it was a very important scene for three reasons:

1) Meera exists as a character - she is maternal to Jojen and eventually she becomes a protector of Bran

2) Osha splits with Rickon and Shaggy Dog from the others to go to Skagos, this is explaining that.

3) Jojen is sickly and this might explain why Howland Reed hasn't been able to leave the Crag (he might be a greenseer also)

4) Jojen's dream is potentially predicting either a.) the attack on the Wall or b.) events in TWoW.

3. Jojen Reed is not a greenseer, Howland Reed is not a greenseer. Jojen Reed has "green sight", "the sight" or"green dreams". Howland Reed does not have his sons gift, unless you believe that Jojen and Meera Reed have a reason to lie to their prince.

3. Jojen Reed is not a greenseer, Howland Reed is not a greenseer. Jojen Reed has "green sight", "the sight" or"green dreams". Howland Reed does not have his sons gift, unless you believe that Jojen and Meera Reed have a reason to lie to their prince.

My bad, Jojen and Howland aren't greenseers.

I'm not ruling out that Howland might have green sight, however... I think it's a perfect explanation for why he has never showed up in the real asoiaf world. I don't know why Jojen and Meera would keep it from Bran, but it's plausible.

Does anyone know if Jojen has seizures in the books as well? I don't remember it, but perhaps it's an oversight on my part.

Nope, he does get "extremely weak" when they journey North of the Wall though, the sight "taking it's toll on him" seems to be a good explanation for what we'll see as they head North.

Mindless catfight scene, pure filler I guess. I thought it'd be an indication that Osha would leave with Rickon to Skagos...And that'd be another storyline to add to the show, along ALL the other storylines floating around.

Bran doesn't do much this book though. They can't fill us only with stories about what happened years ago with the KOTLT or COTF and whatnot.

Honestly, they have so little to work with when it comes to Bran this season. Just rereading his chapters in SoS is painful. There is definitely a lot of wonderful stuff coming up with him, but I can see why they would have petty little Osha vs Meera fights in the show. They have to remind people about Bran every now and then, but how to do it? Most of his chapters are dreams or introspective narratives.

despite being a major character, Bran has 4 chapters in ASOS and 3 in ADWD, so either they use him once every 5 episodes or they invent story around him. i guess they are choosing the second option.

I'm not ruling out that Howland might have green sight, however... I think it's a perfect explanation for why he has never showed up in the real asoiaf world. I don't know why Jojen and Meera would keep it from Bran, but it's plausible.

so the perfect explanation makes the Reeds hide the fact that Howland has greensight for absolutely no good reason other than to explain why he only left Greywater Watch for basically one or two times his entire life?

It also makes the Reeds liars during their Knight of the Laughing Tree story, which BTW is not mentioned by any other POV character when they recall the events of the Harrenhall tournament, not even Ned Stark.

The Reeds have also said that cragmen keep to themselves. Why is that not a good enough excuse for Howland to only leave Greywater Watch twice?

After reading these replies it does seem to make sense as a way to remind the viewer of Bran's story line and show why they eventually split up. Although, splitting them up in the first place for safety reasons makes total sense too, and it actually happened in the book. Why not have them go their separate ways and use a scene with Bran, Meera, and Jojen to have some of those stories told? You know, the ones that give depth to the world by acknowledging historical events?

The Knight of the Laughing Tree story would just confuse non-book readers I think. It doesn't really fit into the plot yet. There really hasn't been much development of the whole year of the false spring on the TV show yet so I guess they're saving it.

What they could show is Jojen teaching Bran to control Summer. That would be more interesting and move Bran's arc along. We haven't really seen him properly warging have we? Just gotten some three-eyed crow dreams.

You have completely missed the point. Jojen saying Jon is on the wrong side of the wall surrounded by enemies changes their game plan does it not? They were headed to the Wall to Castle Black and Jon Snow. Now what do they do? Side note question, did Bran learn that his uncle Benjen has been missing for quite a long time?

When they set out towards the Wall they were not intending to go past it, they still might not be intending to go past it. Jojen seems to know that they're going to go North of the Wall but Bran and company might not see it yet.

I would expect Osha to refuse to go beyond the Wall because of the White Walkers, she has quite a bit of loyalty to Bran and Rickon but everyone has a line they won't cross, that line for Osha is the wall.

Have they even said in the show they are going to the Wall? Seems to me they are just walking about. Bran in the books really just spend 3 books walking (or being carried) while he listens to stories, hones his warging abilities and develops a crush on Meera. Bran's chapters are not my favourite in the series. I'm guessing that this season ends with Bran and Sam exchanging routes at the Nightfort? That means 2 seasons of travel to Bloodraven zzzz.

Just send the wildling wench off with Rickon already, who seems to have disappeared with the direwolves forever.

I have a theory that Ramsay indeed does mount a hunt for the Stark boys, who narrowly escape. Bran and Rickon then part ways to make it harder for them to be tracked down. Ramsay's line could just be a throwaway line, but I don't know...it has potential. The fact of the matter is that Rickon should not cross the Wall with Bran, so let's hope they part ways before the end of the season.

This season is just highlighting just how little Bran actually does in the books. Even the Knight of the Laughing Tree, while a fun and interesting story, is basically filler. I agree with Pinkie, would love to see them being hunted by Bolton men, would spice things up a bit.

This season is just highlighting just how little Bran actually does in the books. Even the Knight of the Laughing Tree, while a fun and interesting story, is basically filler. I agree with Pinkie, would love to see them being hunted by Bolton men, would spice things up a bit.

Judging from the

for next week, I might be right. Look at the shot of the riders at 0:28. The only other place I can think of with such riders is Dragonstone. It looks too mountainous for the Riverlands, and it looks very similar to the terrain where the Queenscrown scenes were shot in. The men are also dressed similar to Theon's captors.

I think this could work. As long as Ramsay's identity is still under wraps, this might work. The Boltons would obviously want the Stark heirs dead, so it's plausible. The only problem is that this might not work geographically speaking, but that's a minor complaint, I guess.

EDIT: Just rewatched the Ramsay/Theon scene and Ramsay says, "The Stark boys...if they're still alive, wouldn't that be a hunt to remember? You failed, but I'm a better hunter than you." I'm fairly sure that this will happen, so hopefully we won't have to see any more Meera vs Osha.

Archived