[BOOK SPOILERS] The Wall Climb Opinions and Tormund

teemo

Absolutely STUNNING work on photography, direction of the scene, etc.

Not such a big fan of the writing, some of the lines were quite cheesy, and although I'm not normally the guy to notice this, there were several small things that bothered me (Like a 4 inch spike in the ice stopping their fall, the fact that Tormund and Orell seem to have disappeared for Jon&Ygritte's kiss, the ultra-cheesy "take my hand"...)

I liked the climbing scenes. Even knowing the outcome, it still made me sit up on the edge of my chair!

I am ready for some true Tormund!! I'm glad to have caught a glimpse of it this episode. You guys are making me thing there won't be any Har!s in the show. :crying:

The kiss scene was completely cheesy, but I do understand what the show was trying to do. It was showing Jon is developing true feelings for Ygritte. He was the one who kissed her after he saw how she felt as she was looking at the other side of the wall. It'll make the eventual ending of that relationship a tearjerker.

High point of the episode for me.

Was good to see Jon's story get more attention this episode, feels like it's been a bit neglected this season, overshadowed by Jaimie/Brienne and Dany. Needed something to ramp it up and remind the audience that he's an important character.

Visually stunning scene, although I could have done without the goofy long kiss at the end.

I too am shocked by the ongoing absence of jokes related to Tormund's member. We know the writers aren't shy about discussing/showing private parts. I expected them to be all about the member comments.

Visuals were great throughout it, and generally one of the most impressive TV spectacles in a long while. I especially liked how the under layer of the wall was very shiny, y'know, how ice actually is. It was a bit straining on credulity, bu dammit you have to be impressed if not engaged! That was stellar work around for most. But with the kiss at the end, the one thing I couldn't stand was the crane pulling back. Though it revealed more of the lovely painted land (someone at the art team is really channeling Ted Nadsmith ;) ) it was just unnecessary. I could buy the whole 'grateful for each other and to be alive', but they really sucked all they could out of the scene.

Most of you guys are so anti-romance. If you climbed a mountain with your new love and eventually got to the top and enjoyed a stunning view, wouldn't you be kissing? And what's so bad about "take my hand", what else was he supposed to say?

Yeah, I'm really liking the way Tormund is shaping up, and I thought the shots of the Wall were outstanding! But the Jon/Ygritte storyline is really bugging me, and the sentimentality at the end was just too, too much.

The actor playing Jon is just awful.

I like him as Jon, but have you seen him in silent hill? his attempt at an American accent was painful. I think he does well as Jon just because Jon is a character without a high emotional range anyways.

The actor playing Jon is just awful.

Because he doesn't act out emotions very often? He once described Jon as an emotionally stunted person, so I think he intentionally portrays him as somber, quiet, introverted, often just giving a serious look with an unmoved face. I prefer his style over the style of actors who overact their characters, which for example Alfie Allen sometimes does with Theon when he opens his eyes extra wide or looks overly angry, etc.

I don't really like the way Jon/Ygritte has shaped. Without Jon's internal monologue's, there isn't any real way to convey it, but I liked in the novels the way Jon was really struggling with the idea of leaving the Watch.

It would have been tough to show on-screen, but Jon never really looked like he was "into" Ygritte and being a wildling, whereas in the books, he was. Jon just constantly looks uncomfortable and his interactions are so forced. I don't understand how anyone could possibly believe he has truly turned his cloak.

Most of you guys are so anti-romance. If you climbed a mountain with your new love and eventually got to the top and enjoyed a stunning view, wouldn't you be kissing? And what's so bad about "take my hand", what else was he supposed to say?

Thank you for that ! ;)

Archived