[BOOK SPOILERS] Roose Bolton Scene

teemo

I really liked how as soon as we see Brienne fork Jaime's meat for him, they cut to McElhatton and we can see that faint smirk on Roose's face.

Like he sees the sentiment, makes note of the exploitable weakness it presents, and files it away for later use. A very Roose thing to do.

And yes, as usual my only complaint about the Roose scene this week is that it wasn't long enough. It never is :)

EDIT: I was slightly disappointed we didn't get a "I will take you at your word, Ser" from Bolton followed by a double-take from Jaime. I've always liked that little bit: Jaime is so taken aback by someone actually giving him the benefit of the doubt for once. They could work it in next week I guess. Fingers crossed :)

Does anyone know why Roose denied the wine when Jaimie wanted to raise glasses for a toast? He said something like, "I don't partake.." and then Jaime remarked on how people would find that weird...Thought it was an odd little thing to fit into an already short scene.

At first i thought he might just be doing it as a precaution incase it's poison, but that didn't make sense because he's the one in charge there, so I'd figure he'd think he's safe..Am I forgetting something from the books?

Does anyone know why Roose denied the wine when Jaimie wanted to raise glasses for a toast? He said something like, "I don't partake.." and then Jaime remarked on how people would find that weird...Thought it was an odd little thing to fit into an already short scene.

At first i thought he might just be doing it as a precaution incase it's poison, but that didn't make sense because he's the one in charge there, so I'd figure he'd think he's safe..Am I forgetting something from the books?

Roose is obsessed with hygiene in the books and as part of that, doesn't drink normal wine. Instead he drinks hippocras, which is a sort of medicinal wine. I thought Roose's refusal, and Jaime's reaction, were nice additions to the otherwise too short scene!

I agree. While the casting in general has been pretty solid, I think McElhatton is one of the best ones. I'm a big fan of his work and really don't think he gets enough credit, since he captures the spirit and vibe of Bolton perfectly.

For anyone who's interested, he's also great at comedy:

If you like Roose in that, then you will love him in this.

That is also a funny video because he looks scarily like Iwan as a younger man!

I guess that we can infer that Roose in the TV show is a teetotaler. He was fond of Hippocras in the books but he never seemed to drink to excess.

I liked the scene very much (is that squirrel fur on Brienne's dress??), but I did miss the Roose "explanation" to Jaime about why his hand was cut off. I guess it wouldn't work now, though, since Locke's motivation was not the same as Vargo's. It's a lot more simplistic (basically, "this was your fault, Jaime, for being so high and mighty about who your daddy is!") rather than a far more complex positioning within the shifting alliances of the players.

If you like those, you'll love these outtakes!

By the way! I have watched it with most of my friends and family, and they all say he has a neutral irish accent, not an english accent on the show. I think though, it might just be a neutral British Isles/ Irish accent. :P

I liked the scene very much (is that squirrel fur on Brienne's dress??), but I did miss the Roose "explanation" to Jaime about why his hand was cut off. I guess it wouldn't work now, though, since Locke's motivation was not the same as Vargo's. It's a lot more simplistic (basically, "this was your fault, Jaime, for being so high and mighty about who your daddy is!") rather than a far more complex positioning within the shifting alliances of the players.

And of course, Jaime might just tell his father "Roose Bolton's men did this. Let's hunt them down all the way to the Dreadfort and beyond"

By the way! I have watched it with most of my friends and family, and they all say he has a neutral irish accent, not an english accent on the show. I think though, it might just be a neutral British Isles/ Irish accent. :P

A neutral British isles/Irish accent. There's no such thing.... Accents are ridiculously diverse here, and that's represented in the show to some extent.

I also think they're going to use next episode to make a better mention of guest right. Jaime and Brienne might be talking and he'll tell her that she should be safe while she's there and that they can't harm her because of this scene. Leading to lockes comment that they'll take good care of her.

Yep, there were quite a few little things this episode. I am just waiting for the Positive Nitpick thread to appear.

I made it, but it hasn't been approved....? I'll try again.

I think he only drinks Hippocrass tea.

Archived