[BOOK SPOILERS] Sam & Gilly

I was really happy to see Sam and Gilly and thought their scene was sweet. I really enjoy John Bradley as Sam. I also liked that they showed his dragon-glass dagger so I'm hoping, guessing, really hoping that this means we will see Sam the Slayer.

Also, will we also get to visit with Coldhands this season? or is that just a useless dream?

Nice touch with the song he sang to her as well.

According to the Synopsis for Second Sons (E8):

Sam and Gilly meet an older gentleman

I think its pretty certain he's in.

That would be a good time to do it, which would lead one to believe Slayer is next week.. I did like the scene probably mostly due to the obsidian and the song was nice.. the final cut of the camera pulling out gave it the sense of tension you'd want - even knowing ahead of time it gave a very distinct feeling that something's out there.

Coldhand's appearance should be pretty climactic as there will likely be a decent amount of Wight's in the scene.

That would be a good time to do it, which would lead one to believe Slayer is next week.. I did like the scene probably mostly due to the obsidian and the song was nice.. the final cut of the camera pulling out gave it the sense of tension you'd want - even knowing ahead of time it gave a very distinct feeling that something's out there.

Yeah, just to show I watch too many movies, my reaction to the later part of that scene could be summed up as "Oh balls, it's THIS camera angle!"

I thought we was going to see sam the slayer right there.

Oh, so did I. I actually was like "fuck yeah, sam the slayer!" out loud, but then it didn't happen. The camera angles also gave the impression that they were being watched, I was waiting for a white walker to bust out and attack Sam right there. Next episode maybe *fingers crossed*

This scene was just lame for me, mostly because Gilly was so spaced out. It's hard watching actors interpret dialogues as if they were talking to thin air, specially when the writing doesn't help much.

I thought it was a sweet scene, and I am excited for Slayer. But Sam seems to have lost some of his season 1/season 2 charm for me.

They have written him as too much of a bumbling crying lazy fool too much this season. Having him the victim of bullying was one thing. But now having him blatantly 'lazy' this season (not standing up unless spoken to by Mormont for eg) has caused viewers to disengage from him.

it might have been sweet, but I didn't like this scene.

He knows they are on the run from this undead horde of everything from squirrels to giants & on the run from the NW that just murdered Craster, Mormont, etc, yet except for the snow they are out having a leisurely sit down by a campfire. There was no urgency, no fear.

The "hey, HERE IS PLOT" hamfist with the dagger was a bit much - they didn't have to have a flashback or anything, but could have done something better with how he found it/the story of him finding it.

I don't mind that this was a quiet happy scene. So much of the books and this show is the characters experiencing something bad or something being explained. It's nice to have a semi-normal human moment thrown in and for Sam to have a bit of happiness considering that he goes through a lot of bad both in the past and in the future. I liked that he was excited about how old the dragon-glass possibly is since we know he loves books and reading and that's the kind of thing he'd be interested in.

it might have been sweet, but I didn't like this scene.

He knows they are on the run from this undead horde of everything from squirrels to giants & on the run from the NW that just murdered Craster, Mormont, etc, yet except for the snow they are out having a leisurely sit down by a campfire. There was no urgency, no fear.

The "hey, HERE IS PLOT" hamfist with the dagger was a bit much - they didn't have to have a flashback or anything, but could have done something better with how he found it/the story of him finding it.

Sooo much this. Zero damn sense of urgency in the entire scenes north of the wall. They're roasting goddam marshmellows and singing campfire songs after craster was killed, others are chasing them, and Sam's life is threatened.

I just dont get it. They dont have time for sweet right now and it has no place in their story.

Yeah, the scene was kinda sweet and nice, although too sweet considering the circumstances, and the dragon-glass dagger stuff seemed ham-handed. I guess they were trying to make Sam appear awkward and desperate to find something to talk about (... oh, hey, I have this dagger, maybe I can say few words about it to cover the uncomfortable silence), but for some reason, it just didn't work properly.

They have written him as too much of a bumbling crying lazy fool too much this season. Having him the victim of bullying was one thing. But now having him blatantly 'lazy' this season (not standing up unless spoken to by Mormont for eg) has caused viewers to disengage from him.

this ^. the whole point of Sam's character in the book, is that he thinks of himself as a useless coward, but actually is smart and has a great deal of moral courage which comes out whenever he is put in a situation where he has to defend people he cares about. In the show its like he actually IS a useless coward.

Archived