[BOOK SPOILERS] Sam & Gilly

this ^. the whole point of Sam's character in the book, is that he thinks of himself as a useless coward, but actually is smart and has a great deal of moral courage which comes out whenever he is put in a situation where he has to defend people he cares about. In the show its like he actually IS a useless coward.

Why, because he can't march for hours or make a fire? Those are things he is useless at. Relax. We haven't seen Sam the Slayer yet, nor have we had him rig the Lord Commander election, so to speak. He talked Jon into staying and led his brothers. He rescues Gilly from Craster's, he keeps her calm and composed even though they're alone in an incredibly dangerous area. All of these things are mentally brave.

this ^. the whole point of Sam's character in the book, is that he thinks of himself as a useless coward, but actually is smart and has a great deal of moral courage which comes out whenever he is put in a situation where he has to defend people he cares about. In the show its like he actually IS a useless coward.

I agree. The whole not loosing the ravens was a huge blow to Sam's character. Also, how can there BE 'Sam, the Slayer' if no one (but Gilly) is there to watch it? The brothers of the NW saw him and that's how he got the monomer. Gilly is not likely to give it to him, and it wouldn't carry any weight. Sadly, I don't think we will be getting any 'Sam, the Slayer.'

I gave a hopeful fist-pump when they closed in on the dragon glass.

I was cheering - out loud, by myself - Slayer, Slayer, Slayer...

I was doing the same thing the very first episode at the FoTFM but we all know how that ended....

They better give Sam his glorious Slayer moment or i'll be VERY disappointed!

Besides that, it was a really nice scene. I loved the signing part.

Why, because he can't march for hours or make a fire? Those are things he is useless at. Relax. We haven't seen Sam the Slayer yet, nor have we had him rig the Lord Commander election, so to speak. He talked Jon into staying and led his brothers. He rescues Gilly from Craster's, he keeps her calm and composed even though they're alone in an incredibly dangerous area. All of these things are mentally brave.

The viewers won't see it that way unfortunately. All they remember is the disappointment of not seeing a war at the Fist at the start of the season, then seeing Sam being a lazy fool then ZOMG Dragonz!!!! Next minute a Sam scene and they reach down to check their phone for messages.

The viewers won't see it that way unfortunately. All they remember is the disappointment of not seeing a war at the Fist at the start of the season, then seeing Sam being a lazy fool then ZOMG Dragonz!!!! Next minute a Sam scene and they reach down to check their phone for message.

Your opinion of the average viewer being unable to digest information isn't indicative of the quality of character portrayal though. There were many things Sam has done on TV that were bold and courageous. He's still also not done two of his most bold acts.

The other point of this scene was exposition about the Wall, when Sam describes it to Gilly, clearly setting up the Climb fir us viewers.

Also thought Gilly was more assertive (eg, about the singing) than book Gilly. But that's okay. Soon enough her scenes willbasically amount to her sobbing constantly, punctuated by a lay with Sam.

It was a cute scene, but I really don't like the lack of urgency in Sam's storyline.

He's seen white walkers, the mutiny at Crasters, Lord commander Mormont stabbed to death, Jon Snow is missing, they're alone in the woods with murderers and rapists from the NW loose and White Walkers out there, but you really wouldn't know it from the way they're behaving.

I thought that we were going to see the Slayer moment there as well - it actually seems like they cut it in the last minute, is that possible?

And sue me, I liked the scene, as sweet and out of place it might have been. Gilly is sweet. :P

I know. But the issue remains that due to how he was portrayed prior to the Mutiny is etched into viewers minds. Too many unsullied have disengaged from his character.

I disengaged from this character reading the books, glad to see him portrayed such that the tv only people share my reaction.

I know. But the issue remains that due to how he was portrayed prior to the Mutiny is etched into viewers minds. Too many unsullied have disengaged from his character.

Why is the way he's portrayed in the mutiny etched more into people's minds than other things? And to be fair I thought Sam was one of the least interesting PoV's and basically rolled my eyes through most of his chapters. I was so glad when Jon made it back to the wall in aSoS so I didn't have to read Sam's PoV's anymore - and then we get the whole LC plot which thankfully was one of his better ones. Sam on the show is about equally as interesting to me so it's really no surprise to me that most Unsullied would not be engaged. Again, he hasn't really "done anything" yet.

I disengaged from this character reading the books, glad to see him portrayed such that the tv only people share my reaction.

Fair enough.

Honest question. Did you then go and bombard the internet with how much of your time was wasted on the character? TV as a medium has different needs. If people starting turning off too many characters, they turn off. My point is not that Sam has suffered some kind of 'character assassination'. It is that, well, its boring to watch someone you don't care about. I don't want people to think GoT is boring. I want the show to continue.

Fair enough.

Honest question. Did you then go and bombard the internet with how much of your time was wasted on the character? TV as a medium has different needs. If people starting turning off too many characters, they turn off. My point is not that Sam has suffered some kind of 'character assassination'. It is that, well, its boring to watch someone you don't care about. I don't want people to think GoT is boring. I want the show to continue.

I agree, but you can't hit a homerun with every character. Some people appeal differently to others. Sam in general is a bit boring given some of the other cast.

Why is the way he's portrayed in the mutiny etched more into people's minds than other things? And to be fair I thought Sam was one of the least interesting PoV's and basically rolled my eyes through most of his chapters. I was so glad when Jon made it back to the wall in aSoS so I didn't have to read Sam's PoV's anymore - and then we get the whole LC plot which thankfully was one of his better ones. Sam on the show is about equally as interesting to me so it's really no surprise to me that most Unsullied would not be engaged. Again, he hasn't really "done anything" yet.

Quite.

If they can't make him interesting, cut his entire character out of the story.

If they intend leaving him in, they they better stop piddling about and make him useful.... like 6 episodes ago.

I thought the scene was like Sam and Gilly's Excellent Camping Adventure. They were too cheery and relaxed for two people who are being hunted by crazy people and zombies.

Yup..... the zombies were missing. I sure that is what will happen. The imminent attack is what is supposed to spoil Sam's moment. Bad pause/ Bad pause until next episode.

But there were no others in the scene..... just Sams former brothers. We don't know that the Obsidian blade was to work on Wights cause Small paul had armor. Unless there is a wight there also

Everyone saying they had hoped / expected this scene to include the attack which earns Sam the nickname "Sam the Slayer" are forgetting one important element: He kills the white walker while with the other men of the Night's Watch, not while alone with Gilly. It's them witnessing his accidental bumbling with the dragonglass and it destroying the white walker that enabled the Night's Watch to have an idea of something that kills them and why the dragonglass arrows and spear heads were distributed amongst the remaining Night's Watch men as protection. Sam has to kill the white walker in the presence of his fellow brothers for it to make any sense at all.

Archived