[BOOK SPOILERS] Sam & Gilly

Wasn't the whole point of Sam the Slayer in the books so that the other crows would see him do it and thereby respect him a bit more?

Maybe they'll call him it teasingly when he comes back talking up his exploits?

But yeah, the way he just randomly pulled out the blade... Chekhov's obsidian for sure.

Surprisingly, I find Sam less charming in the show than I do in the books. I root for Book Sam relentlessly, but am sort of apathetic about TV Sam. Not sure what the disconnect is. Regardless, I was very agitated during this scene, expecting it to culminate with Sam the Slayer--hopefully, that's what they're building up to. Loved that they slipped in that far-off camera angle, just to let us know that something's lurking out there, waiting to pounce...

Surprisingly, I find Sam less charming in the show than I do in the books. I root for Book Sam relentlessly, but am sort of apathetic about TV Sam. Not sure what the disconnect is. Regardless, I was very agitated during this scene, expecting it to culminate with Sam the Slayer--hopefully, that's what they're building up to. Loved that they slipped in that far-off camera angle, just to let us know that something's lurking out there, waiting to pounce...

Well if they're going to show it next week I'd rather GRRM be writing that episode and having to wait an extra week for it :)

Wasn't the whole point of Sam the Slayer in the books so that the other crows would see him do it and thereby respect him a bit more?

He might catch up with them before he meets Puddles

Perhaps that one guy who wants to stab him will catch up, looking to murder Sam, but then they're both struck by the White Walker. In the panic, Sam will slay the thing, and whatshisface will run off and join back with the other crows to tell about how Sam saved his life and defeated the undefeatable. Perhaps convenient, but I think plausible.

The other point of this scene was exposition about the Wall, when Sam describes it to Gilly, clearly setting up the Climb fir us viewers.

Also thought Gilly was more assertive (eg, about the singing) than book Gilly. But that's okay. Soon enough her scenes willbasically amount to her sobbing constantly, punctuated by a lay with Sam.

Obviously, but it can be done in a context that fits within the storyline of an escape from an attack from the others and the chaos following the trip through Crasters. Its a missed opportunity and it was boring.

Everyone saying they had hoped / expected this scene to include the attack which earns Sam the nickname "Sam the Slayer" are forgetting one important element: He kills the white walker while with the other men of the Night's Watch, not while alone with Gilly. It's them witnessing his accidental bumbling with the dragonglass and it destroying the white walker that enabled the Night's Watch to have an idea of something that kills them and why the dragonglass arrows and spear heads were distributed amongst the remaining Night's Watch men as protection. Sam has to kill the white walker in the presence of his fellow brothers for it to make any sense at all.

:agree:

OMG THIS.

Sam cannot SLAY anything without his NW brothers, I'm thinking Edd, Grenn, and probably Rast :ack:, to witness it.

They cannot run and be in a panic in every scene. That would be boring, and even less engaging, besides, we wouldn't get any information. All the while counting down the minutes until Sam drops dead of a heart attack.

Instead, we got a sweet scene, with Sam ever trying to impress Gilly, and calm her. We now know he has his own piece of dragonglass, and that it's easily accessible to use as a weapon, which Sam doesn't even think of it as at the moment, because he's Sam. We got a nice description of The Wall as a setup for the rest of this episode, and a sweet lullabye of The Seven.

As self-effacing as Sam is, he's always seeing something positive, and that's why I love his character. I also love Book Sam as equally as I love Show Sam, and find this show to be one of the most perfectly cast projects in the history of pretty much ever.

Gilly gives Sam a fire making lesson, and makes him feel special probably for the first time ever with her "I knew you were highborn" comment.

These boards have become the GoT Troll Complaining Union. It's so depressing. I'm shocked that so many people who openly detest this show still watch it. Life it too short people. Find something that gives you joy, and watch that. Personally, I'm blown away every minute there is anything this amazingly good on TV.

Can't wait for the Sam the Slayer scene and to see Coldhands!

And exactly which black brother would believe Sam, the self proclaimed biggest craven at the wall, that he killed one of the others?

That's what i'm most curious about...

Poor Sam didn't get much love this season from D&D -.-

:agree:

OMG THIS.

Sam cannot SLAY anything without his NW brothers, I'm thinking Edd, Grenn, and probably Rast :ack:, to witness it.

They cannot run and be in a panic in every scene. That would be boring, and even less engaging, besides, we wouldn't get any information. All the while counting down the minutes until Sam drops dead of a heart attack.

Instead, we got a sweet scene, with Sam ever trying to impress Gilly, and calm her. We now know he has his own piece of dragonglass, and that it's easily accessible to use as a weapon, which Sam doesn't even think of it as at the moment, because he's Sam. We got a nice description of The Wall as a setup for the rest of this episode, and a sweet lullabye of The Seven.

As self-effacing as Sam is, he's always seeing something positive, and that's why I love his character. I also love Book Sam as equally as I love Show Sam, and find this show to be one of the most perfectly cast projects in the history of pretty much ever.

Gilly gives Sam a fire making lesson, and makes him feel special probably for the first time ever with her "I knew you were highborn" comment.

These boards have become the GoT Troll Complaining Union. It's so depressing. I'm shocked that so many people who openly detest this show still watch it. Life it too short people. Find something that gives you joy, and watch that. Personally, I'm blown away every minute there is anything this amazingly good on TV.

:cheers:

Thank you!

This show is by far one of the best shows on television right now and will probably be one of the top television programs to grace television and people just pick it apart. Maybe just a bunch of pessimists come and post?

Maybe Sam's positive outlook is what bothers all the pessimist? Maybe that's why I relate to him and like him so much?

Moet,

Thank you for that. Yeah, there's too much negativity here often. Enjoy the show for what it is: the best fantasy TV show ever. Savor this. We won't get anything like this in our lifetimes again, I'm guessing!

So yeah, Sam the Slayer is definitely happening:

Plus Ross Mullan said on Twitter it will either be in episode 7 or 8.

This makes me sad. If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? Sure. Does it change Sam's character for the worse by not doing it in front of the brothers? Yes. Am I upset. Yes.

Archived