[Book Spoilers] Melisandre Meets Arya

When I heard her saying it, I didn't take it as a specific 3. I thought she was saying she is seeing eyes staring back of all colors, meaning she is going to be killing a lot of people. She is going to be a killer, she already is a killer.

When I heard her saying it, I didn't take it as a specific 3. I thought she was saying she is seeing eyes staring back of all colors, meaning she is going to be killing a lot of people. She is going to be a killer, she already is a killer.

This is how I took it too, I'm kind of surprised so many people are taking it as a reference to a specific three. Then again, I guess it's just fun to spitball.

But that would kill the valonqar prophecy, although I don't want the valonqar prophecy to come true. I don't want any of the prophecies to come true, actually. Prophecies should have never been introduced in this saga IMHO. They reduce the amount of possible outcomes to the future of a character. It's one of the reasons I hate Dany's chapters in the books.

this for sure....

But that would kill the valonqar prophecy, although I don't want the valonqar prophecy to come true. I don't want any of the prophecies to come true, actually. Prophecies should have never been introduced in this saga IMHO. They reduce the amount of possible outcomes to the future of a character. It's one of the reasons I hate Dany's chapters in the books.

"Prophecy Is a treacherous bitch".

That's what makes it fun.

It's interpretation that make it so enjoyable!

You crazy.

That's why I like them the best actually.

"Prophecy Is a treacherous bitch".

That's what makes it fun.

It's interpretation that make it so enjoyable!

You crazy.

This is true. the fact that so many prophecies are hacked apart and given different interpretations shows how effective prophecy has been for this series. It'd be different if the prophecy was a clear as day instead of mud.

Could also refer to the different colours eyes Arya will be putting on as a FM

And this.

I wonder how prophetic Mel's parting words were, though. What I took from it was an attempt of the writers to tie this moment with the fake Arya's upcoming arc, but who knows. Bryan Cogman did spend some time getting spoiled by Martin recently, and he's in charge of Mel this season.

I loved that Arya went up and jerked Mel around by the shoulder! But then, Mel's rejoinder was a bit scary. I took it to be a foreshadowing of Arya's FM life. Then the eyes going dark??? I thought death, but a poster on another thread said she though it might refer to Arya's going blind.

I loved that Arya went up and jerked Mel around by the shoulder! But then, Mel's rejoinder was a bit scary. I took it to be a foreshadowing of Arya's FM life. Then the eyes going dark??? I thought death, but a poster on another thread said she though it might refer to Arya's going blind.

But Arya only goes blind for a couple of months at the most not forever.

I took it as foreshadowing either A) Arya killing lots of people B.) Arya wearing many faces (it looks like once you "use" a face it disappears/becomes useless) C) that Arya will die or D) all of the above.

Well at best an accidental killer, so far.

That is why the eye color prophecy is weak.... it can't really be linked to any future event.

It does not have to limit the character. The first I had seen it used is in the Dune Chronicles. Prophecies are a double edged sword. Some are true and some are false. In Dune, some were known to be false but they happened to come true. Part of the theme when introducing prophecy is being able to escape the fate of the oracle so at some point the character might recognize he or she is on that path and might take the steps to embrace the prophecy or do something to escape its doom

Cersei's obsession with valonqar prophecy and evil scheming to avoid it and might be making it a reality. Classic Macbeth

That's how I took it as well--the eyes are eyes of people she will kill in future--pretty sure any deeper interpretations are wrong. But, remember, Show Arya does not have the same killing resume as Book Arya at this point in time.

In next weeks snippets Arya says the only Gods she worships is death and I got as giddy as a schoolgirl

Makes it sound like her time with the FM , in the books it's not clear that the FM actually have a god.

The Many Faced God seems more a philosophical concept to them.

They do not have services or even preach some kind of gospel.

Wiki says they have 'priests' but I don't remember that explicitly from the books.

Seem more like consultants, will give you an assisted suicide , after consultation, I guess.

GRRM paints them as a weird cult , not really a band of assassins , which it seems everybody thinks of them as.

'Eyes you will shut one day' sounds pretty straightforward to me. Eyes from people she's going to kill. Who exactly? Impossible to know. However, if it was FM and Arya using different identities I'd expected Melisandre to speak directly about faces. It wouldn't have given much away because only book readers know what's going to happen regarding her and the FM.

ETA: besides, we saw her shooting those arrows and naming the people on her list...

Archived