(NO SPOILERS) Positive Nitpicking - what you loved about this episode.

shiola

I really liked this episode. I don't understand all the criticism. I see people saying worst episode, I liked it better than most of season two. With the exception of "What is dead may never die" and "Blackwater". I really liked the Littlefinger voice over, very powerful scene. I liked Olenna vs Tywin. And I disagree that the final scene on top of the wall was cheesy. Visually it was a very good scene. And I didn't mind the kiss, to me it didn't come of cheesy like a lot are saying. In a very grim dark show it is not bad every once in a while to get a happy moment. They are few and far between in that world.

To be honest, I enjoyed nearly everything in this episode.

I was nearly in tears laughing at the "Boy" and Theon scene. I know I probably shouldn't admit it that but I just found Rheon's portrayal perfect. I feel the same way about Gleeson's Joffrey. It's just so outright evil that it's amusing to me. Really enjoying that storyline. I loved, loved, loved Roose Bolton's scene with Jaime and Brienne.

I loved all the bits with Ygritte and Jon. Including the ending. It reminded me completely of the ending of The Two Towers were Gandalf says "the battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle for Middle Earth...is about to begin".

Loved Olenna and Tywin and the scenes with Tyrion (which is a nice change from most of this season where his scenes have been boring).

And I didn't mind the kiss, to me it didn't come of cheesy like a lot are saying. In a very grim dark show it is not bad every once in a while to get a happy moment. They are few and far between in that world.

Aww, I'm a softy romantic at heart and I liked it, too. Especially because I liked the relationship in the books. Ygritte and Jon have a relationship of equals. They look out for each other, they've each saved the other's life, and they have mutual respect for one another. It's heart warming in a world so full of death and destruction.

Aww, I'm a softy romantic at heart and I liked it, too. Especially because I liked the relationship in the books. Ygritte and Jon have a relationship of equals. They look out for each other, they've each saved the other's life, and they have mutual respect for one another. It's heart warming in a world so full of death and destruction.

I think I'm starting to like the show Ygritte/Jon romance perhaps more than in the books, because the actors have good chemistry and the banter before the climbing was actually quite funny and smooth. And the climbing part was also very well done - it was scary, I couldn't breathe easily until they were safely on the top of the Wall. Kit Harington has been mostly lukewarm in his portrayal of Jon Snow (of course it's a difficult role to play, because Jon is such an introvert), but I thought he was pretty good in this episode. I didn't mind the cheesy ending either. Most of the time I feel like all the romanticism from the books has been stripped away, so a moment of happiness was welcome.

Or mayhaps their scenes were so pleasant this time because of the nearness of the Wall. I still remember how cool it was to see the Wall for the first time, it compeletely took my breath away. I'm the Wall fan. :thumbsup:

It's a sad state of affairs when the nitpick without repercussions thread is 13 pages, but this one is only one. It genuinely makes me wonder what the point of having a Game of Thrones section on this forum is. It's starting to get really depressing, I think I'm stay away from these forums from now on

It's the nature of the beast. Amateur critics assume a critique is just pointing out flaws rather than giving a balanced assessment of a work of art. You should also remember that dissatisfied people are more apt to jump to their keyboards, the overwhelming majority (and we're talking millions of people here) aren't so moved. You see it most walks of life, think about radio talk shows about sport, very few people call in to sing the praises of their team. Usually they only call to demand that the coach is fired or Player X is sold.

What I do find odd is the number of people on these forums who claim to be genuinely angry about the show. You know, just don't watch it. There's some people (like the owners of this site) that have to watch the show even if they dislike it because it's part of how they make their living but for those for whom it is just a pop culture diversion I don't understand why they don't just stop watching. Why would you deliberately set out to make yourself annoyed?

I also think that by this point criticism has to move beyond "this is not what itwas like in the books". That point has been made over and over and if you're going to repeat it then something more has to be added. To be honest, there's plenty in the show to criticise that doesn't rest on the "wasn't in the book" trope and it's more interesting to read people's thoughts on these. For example, many have criticised the show's handling of Catelyn as her character is not as she was in the book. But the more interesting critiques have focussed on how poorly the show handles female characters more generally and how Catelyn is a good example of this.

But hey, at least the "wasn't in the books" nitpicking is contained to a single thread and taking my own advice, I just don't read it.

I think I'm starting to like the show Ygritte/Jon romance perhaps more than in the books, because the actors have good chemistry and the banter before the climbing was actually quite funny and smooth. And the climbing part was also very well done - it was scary, I couldn't breathe easily until they were safely on the top of the Wall. Kit Harington has been mostly lukewarm in his portrayal of Jon Snow (of course it's a difficult role to play, because Jon is such an introvert), but I thought he was pretty good in this episode. I didn't mind the cheesy ending either. Most of the time I feel like all the romanticism from the books has been stripped away, so a moment of happiness was welcome.

Or mayhaps their scenes were so pleasant this time because of the nearness of the Wall. I still remember how cool it was to see the Wall for the first time, it compeletely took my breath away. I'm the Wall fan. :thumbsup:

Me too! I took screenshots of my three favourites "Wall" moments and use them interchangeably as my computer's background.

http://s18.postimg.org/w1uh4gl6w/On_top_of_the_wall.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/ntr5lst3e/The_Wall_2.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/qu802c4ei/The_Wall.jpg

I could look at those all day, to be honest.

I really liked this episode. I don't understand all the criticism. I see people saying worst episode, I liked it better than most of season two.

Overall I liked this episode too. I read some reviews first before I saw it, and I thought that it is going to be bad, but I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely prefer S3 over S2.

Me too! I took screenshots of my three favourites "Wall" moments and use them interchangeably as my computer's background.

http://s18.postimg.o...of_the_wall.jpg

http://s23.postimg.o.../The_Wall_2.jpg

http://s23.postimg.o...ei/The_Wall.jpg

I could look at those all day, to be honest.

Hehe, you have a good taste! I've also used Wall pictures as my computer's backround, though not at this moment. Perhaps I should fix that... now we have some new fancy Wall shots, after all!

i also enjoyed Loras talking with Sansa by the pool.

I enjoyed that scene too - I thought it was really sad, two kind of dim but decent kids that probably could have found a way to make this work, but alas they're in a horrible position in a much larger game. I'm bemused by comments that the actors looked wooden and unnatural - wasn't that the whole point?

I liked the fact that Sam couldn't particularly sing. No disaster as a singer, but not great. Too often TV shows have the reluctant singer turn out to be fantastic.

Amused by the hornblowing during the episode, loved it when people here pointed out the echo of Season 2.

Also happy about this thread. The big discussion thread is mostly OK, but the "Rate the Episode" thread has me second-guessing myself and wondering why I'm foolish enough to enjoy something so obviously terrible.

The "Boy" is magnificent, with his giddy sadism. Not as ugly or fleshy as I imagined, but that's par for course with actors they've cast so far.

Really, the family Bolton should be providing us some truly magnificent scenes once the DwD material rolls around.

- Loved the wildlings/especially Tormund this episode. FInally starting to come around to them.

- Iwan Rheon knocked it out of the park as "Boy". Thought both the principle actors did a great job there but "Boy" owned the hell out of that scene.

- Jaime and Brienne being so in-sync during the dinner was great. They continue to have the best chemistry. Also Rooosssee

- Sansa and Shae's friendship continues to be sweet.

- Really liked the Sam and Gilly scene too. Very adorable.

- Loved the hell out of everything involving Melisandre, Arya, and Thoros.

- The Freys were great, it's been mentioned but they just look so ferret-y and Frey-like. Edmure cracked me up during their negotiations, so oblivious.

I was happy to see Tormund slightly be Tormund.

I totally fell for the cheesy kiss at the top of the wall.

I think mostly because I know Ygritte will die and that was one of the more emotional moments in the book for me personally.

I enjoyed Sam & Gilly.

Brienne's pink dress.

QoT vs. Tywin!!!

Gendry - I think it's the facial hair - he just gets hotter. It is legal for me to say that, right? He is 18??

:agree:

I don't understand criticizing it either. You don't get too many love stories in these books or on this show, so imo you should indulge and enjoy the rare ones you do get and it doesn't get any better than Jon & Ygritte. I love those two together and I love how the actors captured that feeling and the bond those two have formed.

:agree:

I don't understand criticizing it either. You don't get too many love stories in these books or on this show, so imo you should indulge and enjoy the rare ones you do get and it doesn't get any better than Jon & Ygritte. I love those two together and I love how the actors captured that feeling and the bond those two have formed.

Agreed with the both of you, plus after so much pain and misery for the other characters it was a really, really nice note to end the episode on.

Softies and sentimentalists of westeros.org unite. :cheers:

I like the linking connections they make between events in an episode and back to previous episodes.

Ramsay blowing the horn is the classic - bringing back the memories of the hornblower at Winterfell

The other one was Arya "Head, breast, balls. I got him where I wanted" then connecting that to the Jofffry/Ros shock.

The other one was Arya "Head, breast, balls. I got him where I wanted" then connecting that to the Jofffry/Ros shock.

Head, TITS, balls.

I thought this episode was great with lots of inside stuff to the fans. The death of ros was kind of shocking because a.) it happened off screen and b.)i was hoping that LF had made the same mistake Cersei made and grabbed the wrong whore.

Ramsays comment about that stark boys being alive and "that would be a hunt to remember" was chilling, showing just how insane that dude is, as well as foreshadowing his enjoyment of letting people go and hunting them down

Archived