(NO SPOILERS) Positive Nitpicking - what you loved about this episode.

shiola

First, I have to mention this. I have a big thing with small actions/facial expressions/mannerisms. Like how when Joffrey's thinking, he rubs his thumb across his middle and index fingers; or how Viserys used to fidget with his hands in a very... Viserys sort of way.

Nikolaj has a ton of them, especially nuances in his voice and the way he delivers lines and such. He rocked the dinner scene because there were two of these small actions that I loved. First, the way he ate the bit of meat off the knife. The way he sort of flicked the knife to punctuate the sentence, matched with his facial expression when he says "Why might that be?" was perfect.

And what I really, really liked even more was when he offers to do a toast to sort of seal the agreement between Roose and himself. When Roose covers the cup, the way Jaime pauses before slightly gesturing with the wine, how he narrows his eyes, and kind of cocks his head PLUS the way he says "You do understand how suspicious that is to ordinary people?"

I just... I could watch Jaime frame by frame and listen to his lines a thousand times over because Nikolaj has this quality to him that I find fascinating and enchanting.

Also, book spoilers.

Robb saying to Edmure, "You're paying for my sins." gave me fucking chills. Because everyone in that room and more will be paying for his sins. I don't want iiiiiit.

Ygritte doing her mocking Jon Snow voice .. always cracks me up and it's something she would do..

And Tormund was much more awesome this episode - it's like I wish he was the lead singer of my favorite metal band.. Got a bit of a "Har" as well.

Also Arya & Anguy's scene was nice - I wasn't thrilled about how the Melisandre scene was worked but I do like that angle of the story it works out well enough.

As most of us are saying, Boy was great this episode. "Do I look like a fucking Umber?!" was delivered so well. In fact, almost all his lines were. His inflection and everything was so all over the place and eccentric, and I like that in a crazy person.

Such an interesting contrast from Roose, who is so calm and collected. It shows you the difference between borderline psychopath(Roose) and just flat out crazy (Ramsay)

In addition to my Jaime rants, I could do Varys rants as well. How his face changed just before he says "The Lysa Arryn of chairs", like when we see him have that thought before saying it, is almost as funny as the line itself. That line had me pausing the show because I found it so funny and it was so out of nowhere. But the best part of the scene for me was everything about how the realm is a lie, just like Aegon's chair. How we tell the lie over and over until we forget it's a lie, that was beautiful. And what topped it off was how Varys rounded on Baelish after he said it. "And what do we have left, once we abandon the lie?" I think it was the first time I remember seeing anger from Varys (even though it was thinly veiled) and in that moment I was afraid of him.

Annnnd finally, HUGE shout out to Blackfish. "My fist is about to compel your teeth." It was such a nonsensical, middle-school sort of threat/retort. It was hilarious and perfect. I'm loving the Blackfish.

Also, as I kind of feel like this thread is my responsibility since I start it every week, I need to do some annoying PSAs--

* Stay on topic-- praise things about the show. Please don't delve into talking about how others complain too much or how they're dragging down your amusement. This thread is to take you out of that and to put you in an environment where we talk about what we love and are happy with the show.

* Please do not refer to Boy by his real name, as it hasn't been revealed on the show yet. I don't care what goes on in other threads or if his name is common knowledge at this point. I don't want it in here and I don't want to risk people finding things out! I just want this to stay a friendly, spoiler-free environment.

Ygritte doing her mocking Jon Snow voice .. always cracks me up and it's something she would do..

Yes! I loved that. Ygritte is so perfect. Playfully sexy but with a deadly edge. Yet when she looks at Jon, you can see that she loves him. Her actress, Rose Leslie, is one of the best, I think. She's really coming into her character.

Lame Lothar! I like that they added that little detail. LOVED THE LITTLE FREY HATS. Haha!

The music these scene, AS EVER, was wonderful.

Sophie Turner is really good at crying! :crying: I don't ''like'' it but it's great acting.

Sam/Gilly scene was lovely.

Tormund had a little ''HAH'' and also a ''HEH'' I have yet to hear a ''HAR'' yet though. ;D

Chaos is a Ladder montage.

And of course, last but not least; THE ROOSE IS LOOSE THE ROOSE IS LOOSE. (Loving Brienne looking awkward in a pink frilly dress and as ever Nikolaj is wonderful)

I loved Lady Oleana trying to bait Tywin into admitting that he "played" with boys when he was younger. :laugh:

Her, acknowledging, without a blink, that Sweet Loras was a sword swallower, but, drawing the line at incest. This, to me, put to rest any crackpot theories that Margaery and Loras were involved with each other.

Loras and Sansa discussing fringed sleeves. :rofl:

Getting a small "Har" from Tormund.

Poor Brienne looking uncomfortable in that hideous dress.

Jaime struggling to cut his meat.

Arya being the only one to see through Melisandre. I almost cried for poor Gendry.

I love any interaction between Cersei and Tyrion.

Sam and Gilly was super sweet. That obsidian arrow head was beautiful.

While I hate what happened to Ros, I really liked Ros, it was so perfect to see exactly what a monster Joffrey is. He's alone with a beautiful woman and he would rather shoot quarrels into her than bed her. Also,

This is the second time that the crossbow makes an appearance so there won't be any questions as to what weapon will be used in Tywins' much deserved demise.

- I forgot to add it but I loved the Bran scene, particularly the Reeds and the way they're playing up their connection/Meera's protectiveness. They're very well casted.

- I'm also coming around to Ygritte/Rose Leslie. I was probably one of the only people that didn't much care for her before but I love it when she mocks Jon and her impression of him was hilarious & adorable.

- Anguy bestguy. I really like this dude. edit: took out something, not a spoiler that i'm aware of but it doesn't hurt to be safe

@Vis

Your post at the top really captures what I love about NCW (well a lot of actors on the show), how much thought and nuance goes into every little movement. He's so good, seriously.

Well I knew the Ros was coming because I was spoiled (avoiding these forums on the weekend of an airing from now on). So when LF said "But your confidant" and the music started I knew it had to be coming because the episode was almost over. I was like YES YES YES. Though I wish he had added in honor as one of the illusions that people cling to, referencing his betrayal of Ned. Still good though.

I like that Varys and LF keep calling each other friends simply because it's clear to both of them that they are the complete opposite. Whole series is about Varys and LF IMO lol

Great great great episode.

Loved:

- Melissandre + Arya + Brotherhood. I really like what they did with Gendry replacing Edric!

- High Valyrian

- Theon and Boy, Gods, i'm looking forward to the rest of this!

- The Frey's looked really weasely, great!

- Lame Lothar's actor actually walked like he has a twisted leg

- The climb

- Jaime cutting the meat

- Jaime being upset that Brienne will not travel with him to KL.

I am genuinely sad that Ros died, but boy she looked hot hanging there!

I also loved this episode. I'm not a frequent poster...more of a lurker here I guess you'd say. I've read the books twice in as many years and will prob read them again sometime in 2014 before the next season of GoT starts...or at least a refresher of books 3 and 4.

Some of my favorite things in this episode...

Definitely Tywin and QoT banter back and forth. I love how that lady won't take shit from any of these buggers in KL. She's one tough broad.

Cersei and Tyrion are awesome together. Tyrion is just awesome period. I can't wait to see more of him.

Jamie and Brianne - their chemistry really is perfect.

I wasn't much of a fan of the Ramsey/Theon storyline in the books. It's prob my least favorite, but I do love how we're seeing the backstory on screen. I think that's what I disliked most about this in the books because I almost forgot about Theon...

...then suddenly he becomes Reek.

I can't wait to see Arya's character develop more and bring on Lady Stoneheart!!

I've told my fiance she's goin to love Arya eventually.

She's not a reader so I find myself pausing to explain a LOT of what's going on.

I truly don't understand how someone can enjoy this show without reading the books. There's so much more to EVERY story than they could ever show on screen, and just knowing about it makes these stories so much better.

Edmure is a goober but Tobias Menzies makes him so weirdly likeable, I never saw that one coming.

IDK, he was obviously being pretty superficial and silly under the circumstances about the marriage/choosing a bride but there's just something about him. I'm probably just biased because Tobias Menzies is adorable.

By survey, all in my household thoroughly enjoy the "show" and "books". We all have divorced ourselves from conflating the two. D & D are genius with their series, every ep. is a refreshing surprise. We gather round the tube, volume up, to drown out the popcorn munching, reveling in fantasy's much too short tv hour.

All in all the show is like a glass of grapefruit juice in the morning. It goes for the throat. Thanks for starting this thread, Vis.

Edmure is a goober but Tobias Menzies makes him so weirdly likeable, I never saw that one coming.

IDK, he was obviously being pretty superficial and silly under the circumstances about the marriage/choosing a bride but there's just something about him. I'm probably just biased because Tobias Menzies is adorable.

I would also like to praise his casting. He really looks like Catelyn's brother, but, most of all, he could PERFECTLY be Lysa's real life brother! The casting department in this show has really set a new standard in cinematography. Relatives REALLY look like relatives. Now, every time I watch a film or another TV show, I'm always like "Nah, that lad does not really like that man's son. And are those supposed to be siblings?". This never happens with GoT. Even Stannis and Robert look alike, while Renly, being different in personality, was cast to look quite different (even if, in the books he looks like Robert). AND WHAT ABOUT OLENNA AND MARGAERY? JESUS. I have no words to describe how much I love this show.

Archived