(NO SPOILERS) Positive Nitpicking - what you loved about this episode.

shiola

I would also like to praise his casting. He really looks like Catelyn's brother, but, most of all, he could PERFECTLY be Lysa's real life brother! The casting department in this show has really set a new standard in cinematography. Relatives REALLY look like relatives. Now, every time I watch a film or another TV show, I'm always like "Nah, that lad does not really like that man's son. And are those supposed to be siblings?". This never happens with GoT. Even Stannis and Robert look alike, while Renly, being different in personality, was cast to look quite different (even if, in the books he looks like Robert). AND WHAT ABOUT OLENNA AND MARGAERY? JESUS. I have no words to describe how much I love this show.

I love this post!

Relatives DO look like each other, definitely.

Everything Roose Bolton because of course, (tv show) Roose.

I loved Thoros and Melisandre speaking in Valyrian. They sounded so natural having an actual conversation! Besides Melisandre is great with rolled R's :)

Melisandre looking into Arya's eyes and, at least as I interpreted it, seeing the eyes of those she's going to kill one day.

The Freys!!! Perfect!

Oh and Thoros name dropping R'Hllor. Finally. It's taken a season and a half to actually say the name. What the heck?

It's better this way. "R'hllor" sounds like gibberish. If even the readers often spell it wrong, imagine the abominations we'd see when non-readers tried to spell it. "Lord of Light" makes things a lot easier.

It's better this way. "R'hllor" sounds like gibberish. If even the readers often spell it wrong, imagine the abominations we'd see when non-readers tried to spell it. "Lord of Light" makes things a lot easier.

I suspect they also do it because people associate Christian word choice and cadence with religious fervor and this wording evokes that image. It makes it clearer to them that they're talking about a god than a person (they're terrible with names...)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but I really think it should be acknowledged that john Bradley is wonderful as Sam tarly. There are alot of blatantly wonderful actors on the show and I know he doesn't get a large amount of screentime but when he does I just think "perfect samwell tarly"!

I liked Robb in his interactions with both the Frey's (Black Walder and Lame Lothar?) and particularly his response to Edmure after he consented to marry Roslin. It was Eddard-ish in manner. Probably the first time I've truly liked Robb all season, which I find very sad.

Ageed, Robb was very good this episode. Much more likeable in general than he has been in a while.

The Freys looked perfect, basically how I imagined 90% of the Freys from the book. Lame Lothar's limp was a nice touch, and I loved their goofy little hats.

As mentioned last page, this show has exceptional casting, especially for the families.

Iwan Rheon and Michael McElhatton even have a distinct resemblance as well.

Ageed, Robb was very good this episode. Much more likeable in general than he has been in a while.

The Freys looked perfect, basically how I imagined 90% of the Freys from the book. Lame Lothar's limp was a nice touch, and I loved their goofy little hats.

As mentioned last page, this show has exceptional casting, especially for the families.

Iwan Rheon and Michael McElhatton even have a distinct resemblance as well.

It's the eyes, man. Those eyes are creepy as hell. And agreed on the Freys. Also liked how Black Walder was hostile while Lothar seemed a lot more amiable, as they were in the books.

I don't know what people have to bitch about in regards to the Robb scene this week. It was very similar to the books, and both Edmure and Robb came off as far more likable than they have all season. Loved that Robb seemed genuinely guilty over breaking his vows.

Did anybody else love the caps the Freys wore? I thought it just completed their whole weasel-ly look.

- I liked the fact that they included Sam and Gilly's scene at the start - for some reason I thought they wouldn't - but I'm glad they did :)

- I liked how there was more of Jon and the wildlings - but I think it might be too little too late.... though - this is the posistive thread so i'll stay optimistic and say that I hope there is more of this and that we start to get a feel for the wildlings.

- I always love Maisie - she's a great actor.

- I liked the dinner scene with Jaime, Breinne and Roose - there was good chemistry going there. (Though I did think it was a bit short).

- I thought the Freys looked the part

- Theon and Boy - good acting - slightly amusing in a weird way - though possibly a bit long.

I loved the Freys' hats. They were just perfect for them.

I enjoyed the Roose/Jaime/Brienne scene. Jaime staying Brienne's hand was a lovely touch (something for the shippers but also furthered his character development), I laughed at Roose's line about Jaime overplaying his... position, and I liked the self deprecating humour when Jaime said he was failing at dinner.

I really liked the scene with Gilly and Sam. I think Sam is an underrated character in-universe as well as amongst fans but I adore the character and love the portrayal of him in the show, although I would like to see more of the bravery we know he's capable of in the books.

Erm, so many random things I loved.

- The unintentional hilarity of Sam's song. REALLY Sam, you rescue a girl who's lived in an incest colony her whole life...and sing about the Father? I'm horrible, but whatever, it made me snort. ANY other song Sam, seriously!

- A Theon and his Boy ... sooo many little moments...too many to name, but a few of my favs:

• Boy's wide-eyed smile when he says "Sorry!"
  • Boy getting pissed when Theon thinks he's a Karstark. He just improvised on the spot, pretending to be a Karstark angered about his brother's death. Dude's an act-ooor.
  • Theon's sadly silly "It was just a guess."
  • Boy's peevish looks, like he's faintly hearing rap music somewhere.
  • "Terrrible guess!"
  • Theon specifically saying "Robb," not "the Starks." :bawl:
  • The completely random tone switch with "Daddy was mean to you?"
  • The whole meta-ness of the scene. Boy is the ultimate meta troll. "You forgot to ask, am I a liar?"

- Olenna taunting Tywin about his youth. Goodness, I don't get why people say it's a dumb thing for her to say. I thought it was clear she wasn't seriously asking, she was trying to piss him off.

- The subtle feeling (more meta than in-universe) that Littlefinger was punishing Sansa for friendzoning him -- the ship was kind of like "snooze you lose!"

- Sansa and Loras were cuuuute. It gave me the sense that, if Sansa did marry him, she'd be aghast at his orientation, but they'd still have fun shopping together. Highgarden would have the best fashion in Westeros!

- The Frey cap/bib combo. I keeled I was laughing so hard. They look so stoatish.

- Edmure trying to be canny -- "I'll refuse so they'll come back and let me choose the bride." Cat's Big Sister Death Glare.

- Jaime's "you shall not best me, dinner!" attitude with his fork.

- Roose. Just Roose, head of House Trollton. "Position" indeed.

such a great episode!

ok so Sam and Gilly - GREAT! the song was exactly the way I imagined it.

Meera and Osha locking horns, gave me some giggles, with Bran being the mature one :D

Ygritte and Jon getting closer, I love the changes they have made to her, they have a great back and forth, very funny.

the fact that Jon simply got more air time was fantastic!!

Tormund seems to be lightening up!

the Arya and Melisandre scene was great, I was expecting to not enjoy it but I LOVED IT. and the words they had gave me some hope for future things.. with out giving much away :)

Boy and Theon was very good! I loved that he actually made him beg to take the finger, sticking to the books quite nicely there

the meeting with the Freys was good too, actually sticking to the right characters for the freys was brill. and Edmures dullness was rather funny also.

the dinner with Roose, Jaime and Brienne was fantastic, just fantastic.

the actual climbing of the wall was awesome! I loved the extra drama they have added in, it tightens J&Ys bond, gives us a nice loath for Orell and brings a bit more action to the whole encounter. also Ygrittes face when the ice breaks! priceless! a very "AWH SH*T!" moment.

Tyrion and Cercei sulking about their marrages to be.. quite funny

all in all ive gotta give it a 10/10

OK, this was easily my favourite episode of the series so far. There was just so many awesome scenes it's hard to know where to start.

I thought they did a great job of the climb up the wall. At last the wildlings are being given a bit of character and I am warming to Ygritte a lot more than I did in the books (doesn't hurt that she's a hot redhead, I guess). Jon is getting more of the screentime his character so desperately needs.

The Jaime/Brienne/Roose dinner was brilliant from start to finish, although I agree with most that it was way too short. With the great chemistry those actors have, they could have had a whole episode of it and no one would have complained. I particularly liked the "fail at dinner" line and Brienne's helping him to cut up his meat without saying a word. I am so looking forward to their scenes in the next episode.

It was good to see Littlefinger show he isn't quite as inept at the game as previous episodes made him out to be. My friend who's a non-reader was very dismissive of him as a threat until his scene this week. I have always been a fan of him and Varys; every scene with the two of them in it is a scene worth watching.

I have to agree that the casting for this whole show has been absolutely spot on. I love "Boy" and Theon, Jaime and Brienne, Ygritte, Tywin, Jorah (I'm a big fan of Dance and Glen). I'd say the only one they have got really wrong is having Ciaran Hinds as Mance.

Most importantly, is it just me or is Sansa looking absolutely gorgeous this series?

this really was such a great episode! I cant believe so many people didn't think so. its review wasn't what I expected at all, but guess you cant please everyone. IMO this episode was so good its hard to pick which scene was my favourite. maybe when some of the ice of the wall fall apart, that really was great!

also I know it sounds bad but I was also happy to see what the decided to do with Ros, it was sad for her but I kinda wanted her gone, maybe not in such a brutal way but still was very well presented and gives another twist to the story for viewers who didn't know there really was no big future for her

First, I have to mention this. I have a big thing with small actions/facial expressions/mannerisms. Like how when Joffrey's thinking, he rubs his thumb across his middle and index fingers; or how Viserys used to fidget with his hands in a very... Viserys sort of way.

Nikolaj has a ton of them, especially nuances in his voice and the way he delivers lines and such. He rocked the dinner scene because there were two of these small actions that I loved. First, the way he ate the bit of meat off the knife. The way he sort of flicked the knife to punctuate the sentence, matched with his facial expression when he says "Why might that be?" was perfect.

And what I really, really liked even more was when he offers to do a toast to sort of seal the agreement between Roose and himself. When Roose covers the cup, the way Jaime pauses before slightly gesturing with the wine, how he narrows his eyes, and kind of cocks his head PLUS the way he says "You do understand how suspicious that is to ordinary people?"

I just... I could watch Jaime frame by frame and listen to his lines a thousand times over because Nikolaj has this quality to him that I find fascinating and enchanting.

I agree with this so much. I think I have the same thing :drunk:

Did you notice Cersei has it, too? When she is nervous or feels uncomfortable, she starts playing with her rings and her hands. It happened in the episode when she confronts Tywin and I noticed again in this episode when Tyrion asks her if he sent Moore to kill him. She doesn't answer him and instead starts playing with her hands, rings, and like a red cloth (or something I don't know what it was).

Also, I love the sets and the details. For example, Sansa's chamber. There is like a column next to the door that has golden flowers. It's so beautiful. I loved all the objects in the room where Tyrion and Cersei were talking. Specially, this thing that I have no idea what is for, but looks like a little boat with the shape of a sawn, a mini chest, a swirly crystal glass, a quill, an a candle. I just couldn't keep my eyes off from them. I think I wasn't even paying attention to what they were saying hehe. Oh, I love the medieval setting.

The gardens are spectacular. I loved the fountain in the Sansa/Loras scene (didn't like the scene so much) but the background was just amazing.

edit: spelling.

I really have to say how I look forward to these threads every week. There's so much fanboy hate everywhere else that I sometimes just want to rip my hair out, it's nice to just chat about the little moments you loved with others who actually loved them too. Now on to the things I loved, I suppose.

The Wildlings are getting much better with more screentime (which I expect will increase even more now they're filming in Belfast instead of Iceland). The three main Wildling characters perfectly embody the varying sides/loyalties sides of Free-Folk culture.

- Tormund represents that fierce commander, you don't want to get on my bad side, kind of Wildling.

- Ygritte is playful, just as fierce as Tormund, but also far more trusting.

- And Orell is that super-creepy untrustworthy Wildling, kind of like the Weeper. I just love Mackenzie Crook as a Wildling too, great casting.

Ygritte knowing where Jon's loyalties lie is a direct result of the two spending more time together in Season 2. Let's face it, it was pretty obvious how much of a Crow Jon was in their Icelandic Adventures last year, she'd be a fool not to realise it.

On top of this, it adds so much to the scene where Jon eventually betrays her. I'm dying to know how Queenscrown will unfold. It seems as though both Summer and Shaggydog will be there to save him, and there's only about 8-12 Wildlings left after the climb (how many fell? It looked like two groups of four). It will make sense that Tormund forgoes the raid at Castle Black, and returns to Mance defeated.

Roose is becoming strangely likeable. It's kind of remarkable, seeing as how I never particularly liked him in the books. He always seemed like a really dry personality, and the actor has turned that on it's head and made it inexplicably charming. His nonchalance is extremely charismatic, "I don't partake." I look forward to seeing much more of him down the line.

That way Edmure looked up when the Frey's said, "Not what, who." It was almost the exact same reaction Tyrion gave when he was told he would marry Sansa. Really nice detail and comparison between both characters, seeing as they're both the black sheep of their family. Tobias Menzies is really outstanding in the role.

I have so much more I want to say, I should try to hold my gushing love until next week though.

Archived