[Book Spoilers] A Gendry Development

PipPayne

Well here's another tidbit of food for thought: Because they've aged all of the 'kids' up quite a bit in the show, it makes a lot more sense to have Gendry be the key player rather than Edric because Edric was about the same age as Shireen which would make him far too young to play out the part of a future political player at least in the current generation's storyline. Gendry is probably one of Robert's oldest children and on the show he looks even older (mid twenties?) so he could in fact be a much more believable political key element than Edric.

This is one of the deviations from the book that makes sense/doesn't bother me. The viewers wouldn't have understood about Edric Storm. Davos can still save Gendry from being burned. If he doesn't, now THAT would piss me off, I think it is vital to Davos' character development that he has the balls to stand up to Stannis and save a little boy, knowing there was a very good chance he'd be burned alive for it.

as long as he risks his own ass to save Gendry, the change is ok with me.

i agree. it would not have translated as well onto the screen if it was edric. mostly because there is nothing before this that is important about him to give the viewers a sense of attachment to the character. We've already had plenty of gendry on screen to give the viewers an emotional attachment.

This will only further fuel my dad's belief that Gendry will sit on the IT with Arya at his side.

I am glad to see him have more to do though as I like Gendry and the actor who plays him.

I agree - and also in the last episode a bit of foreshadowing - the conversation between arya and gendry where she asks him not to join the brotherhood and says I can be your family and Gendry replies "I will call you m'lady" which suggests to me they may in future get married

I'm not sure how Gendry is going to rejoin the bwb after seeing this episode. When he starts saying how all he wanted to do was to be one of them, and if he is taking Edric Storms place he is not exactly going to be happy with the bwb who handed him over to them. I did enjoy the scene despite this

My thoughts: 1) Gendry replaces Edric 2) He'll never go back to the BwB, they sold him. 3) there are three possibilities for Gendry: a) Go to the Wall with Stannis (yeah to Jon-Stannis-Gendry scenes) B) With Davos to White Harbor c) My personal prediction: Gendry is going to wind up in the Vale where he is somehow taking over the role of Mya Stone (One of my predictions for tWoW was that Gendry and other surviving members of the BwB would accompany Brienne to the Vale in search of Sansa; if the show already places him there that would confirm my prediction). I am almost 100% sure that they won't send him to Essos, I never thought that Edric would play a large part in the story and I simply don't see how going east could further his and other storylines. One positive note about this confusing change: we'll probably see Hot Pie again a lot sooner than we had anticipated. He'll take Gendry's place at the Inn with the orphans.

Yeah. I don't even know what to make of it to be honest.

It just feels forced. Granted, I don't know the context of it, but Mel always seemed pretty loyal to Stannis, emotionally and religiously. I REALLY don't want another Shadow Baby, but I don't think it'll come to that.

It's just confusing.

See this was one of my chief complaints about how they made Melisandre into a much more sexual figure role for Stannis than in the books. In the books most everything was loosely implied and there was no 'seduction' of any sort nor was the sex a specific part of their relationship like it's being done in the show. It's one of the few changes from books to show that I really disagree with because I think it has diminished both Stannis and Melisandre's characters in different ways. Melisandre had a very strange mystical aura about her in the book, but in the show she seems more like a seductress and less like a powerful priestess. Seducing Gendry for more shadowbinding magic is just more fabricated sex drama that doesn't come anywhere close to the way GRRM wrote really good sex drama already. Why they try to outdo what's already been written is beyond me with this one. It falls short.

See this was one of my chief complaints about how they made Melisandre into a much more sexual figure role for Stannis than in the books. In the books most everything was loosely implied and there was no 'seduction' of any sort nor was the sex a specific part of their relationship like it's being done in the show. It's one of the few changes from books to show that I really disagree with because I think it has diminished both Stannis and Melisandre's characters in different ways. Melisandre had a very strange mystical aura about her in the book, but in the show she seems more like a seductress and less like a powerful priestess. Seducing Gendry for more shadowbinding magic is just more fabricated sex drama that doesn't come anywhere close to the way GRRM wrote really good sex drama already. Why they try to outdo what's already been written is beyond me with this one. It falls short.

Well said. It makes her character more one-dimensional and "generic."

Granted, she is always described as attractive, but I just think it's being overplayed on-screen for no real reason as of yet....

And Gendry being eskimo brothers with his uncle is gonna make for a really awkward Thanksgiving dinner.

Well said. It makes her character more one-dimensional and "generic."

Granted, she is always described as attractive, but I just think it's being overplayed on-screen for no real reason as of yet....

And Gendry being eskimo brothers with his uncle is gonna make for a really awkward Thanksgiving dinner.

Agreed, that would be a really poor change.

On the other hand, I think Gendry taking the place of Edric will work. Gendry's role in the BWB is minor and we also see the darker side of the BWB. They're not Robin Hood and his merry men.

As for the future of Gendry I really think this shows he'll be the one to play a larger role in the future of the book series. Unfortunately I think Shireen is in big trouble so Stannis will need one of Robert's bastards to carry the Baratheon Sigil, even if it's only back to Storms End.

For the people think he won't do it, because Robert's children would trump his own claim, it could easily be written into a last will.

IF he ends up in Essos, do you think he'll end up meeting up with Arya there vs. his storyline in AFFC meeting up and rescuing Brienne? I don't really like this change personally.

I hope he meets up with someone important in Essos, which pretty much makes it Arya or the entourage seeking Dany.

Podrick could save Brienne instead of Gendry. He's good with a sword apparently. That one meeting with Brienne is all Gendry has for 2.5 books. It's not enough, even if they will add a bit more to the Brotherhood with LS leading them.

What? Melisandre and Stannis have sex for non shadowbaby reasons in the books, in the show they only had sex once. Melisandre notes that Davos's twelve year old son "wants her" I think it's pretty clear that Melisandre knows seduction is a weapon of hers. She uses a glamor trick on Jon Snow even making herself look like Ygritte for a moment. If I took more than 30 seconds to think about it I could probably think of other instances, doesn't she mention something to Ser Davos when she is smuggled into Storm's End?

If Edric Storm was the same age as Gendry in the books, would Mel have not tried a shadow baby? I think yes. She admits that leeches will AND won't work, that sacrificing Edric is the "surer way" .... I'd imagine shadow baby falls in bellow "waking stone dragons" but above "leeches"

If you think they're oversexing Melisandre you should go reread the books and see if you still think the same way afterwards.

I can't help but wonder where Gendry will flee to when he's saved by Davos. I know Edric went to Lys, but he was highborn and had knights to go with him and act as his guardians. I can't see the same happening for Gendry.

I think he'll end up going with Stannis to the Wall and joining the Night's Watch.

Gendry is never going to be seen again. People need to get over the idea that he has some important part in the future.

The mere fact that he'll announce to the world about Arya's whereabouts would indicate that he's likely not going to survive his encounter with Melisandre. If he does somehow make it to the wall, Stannis, or w/e, then lemons should be thrown at the writers for their inability to catch this crucial mistake.

What? Melisandre and Stannis have sex for non shadowbaby reasons in the books, in the show they only had sex once.

Exactly. Melisandre in the books is Stannis' sidepiece. She doesn't fuck anything that might have use for her.

Melisandre notes that Davos's twelve year old son "wants her" I think it's pretty clear that Melisandre knows seduction is a weapon of hers. She uses a glamor trick on Jon Snow even making herself look like Ygritte for a moment. If I took more than 30 seconds to think about it I could probably think of other instances, doesn't she mention something to Ser Davos when she is smuggled into Storm's End?

She probably does. That doesn't mean she seduces him. She is always pretty loyal to Stannis, and it's IMO a main reason she can't get it out of her head that Stannis isn't AA. She really likes him, so she's dedicated to making him AA (i.e. glamouring his sword) even when she has nothing to really base it on except her terrible interpretation of her fire readings.

If Edric Storm was the same age as Gendry in the books, would Mel have not tried a shadow baby? I think yes. She admits that leeches will AND won't work, that sacrificing Edric is the "surer way" .... I'd imagine shadow baby falls in bellow "waking stone dragons" but above "leeches"

If you think they're oversexing Melisandre you should go reread the books and see if you still think the same way afterwards.

Why make another shadow baby? What would be the point? The shadow was used to kill Renly and Penrose in the books. Are you suggesting Gendry is going to birth three shadow babies to kill Robb, Balon, and Joffrey? In the books, she wanted to sacrifice Edric to "awake a stone dragon." Literally, awaken a stone dragon. As in, the dragon statues in Dragonstone come to life. Shadow babies have literally nothing to do with Mel's objective regarding Edric in the novel.

IF he ends up in Essos, do you think he'll end up meeting up with Arya there vs. his storyline in AFFC meeting up and rescuing Brienne? I don't really like this change personally.

He could easily end up on the Wall as well... They'll need a blacksmith soon.

So this trailer seems to imply that Gendy and melisandre sleep together. I am really curious how that will play out. Will it be another Shadow baby?http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/76542686.html?page=3

I'm calling trailer Red Herring, like that scene at the Sept of the Seven that people "knew" was a reference to PW this season and ended up being just a tease. This is going to end up being some ritual part of his sacrifice (maybe Mel needs to sleep with him before burning him idk something I'm sure HBO asked to add) before Stannis barges in and stops her. No more shadow babies, it just doesn't make any sense and would completely disregard the moral decision Stannis has to make which is how the showrunners have described his arc since day 1.

Archived