[No Spoilers] The Ros Appreciation thread

Raion Laion

I thought it was a very effective death in that it was unexpected and shocking, and very sad.

Countdown to someone who comes in here and says "I appreciate that Ros is dead, nyuck nyuck"

I agree, I didn't mind using her for the plots, now they'll bring in Dontos as a way to repay his debt to Sansa for getting his life spared.

Roz just confirmed both Vary's and Baelish have spies watching the other.

I've liked Ros from episode one and never understood all of the fanboi hate. She did not deserve to die at the hands of a little coward piss ant like Joffrey. I want Littlefinger to die a slow an agonizing death.

Maybe Sansa will learn a crossbow.

Ros's death does not have to be in vain!

Joffrey’s murder of her should be motivated by the fact that she was believed to be Tyrion’s whore. It would be his way to impress Tywin (“The next whore I find in your bed, I’ll hang”). Coupled with the fact that Cersei lead Tyrion to believe that Joffrey put out the Blackwater hit,

it’ll give Cersei ample reason to believe Tyrion poisoned Joff. And LF mentioned the Tyrion/Ros mistake a few episodes ago, so he’d know exactly how to get Joff to pull the trigger — Littlefinger style manipulation clear as day, as it puts the suspicion of Joff's poisoning off of him and onto Tyrion.

IF this is to be how the storyline unfolds, I think it is a brilliant change to the narrative, but alas...

D&D won't realize the opportunity they have and they'll make Esmé's horrific departure all for naught.

While I wasn't a Ros fan, I felt like her PoV filled in some gaps that book readers got from PoV thoughts. Terrible to see her go out the way she did.

Makes me wonder if cast come to this site (being one of the most popular) to see what fans are saying about their performances.

Ros's death does not have to be in vain!

Joffrey’s murder of her should be motivated by the fact that she was believed to be Tyrion’s whore. It would be his way to impress Tywin (“The next whore I find in your bed, I’ll hang”). Coupled with the fact that Cersei lead Tyrion to believe that Joffrey put out the Blackwater hit,

it’ll give Cersei ample reason to believe Tyrion poisoned Joff. And LF mentioned the Tyrion/Ros mistake a few episodes ago, so he’d know exactly how to get Joff to pull the trigger — Littlefinger style manipulation clear as day, as it puts the suspicion of Joff's poisoning off of him and onto Tyrion.

IF this is to be how the storyline unfolds, I think it is a brilliant change to the narrative, but alas...

D&D won't realize the opportunity they have and they'll make Esmé's horrific departure all for naught.

:agree:

except D&D might know precisely what they are doing

showing her ex post facto may or may not be as strong as it needs to be

Having spent an unusually high percentage of my meager post count defending Ros on these boards, I am sad to see her go. That final image of her was haunting however... I was actually so shocked that I totally lost track of Littlefinger's monologue. Then I rewound...and I missed it again. It took me a few tries before I could get the monologue to sink in and not be blotted out by that image.

:cheers: Cheers to Esme Bianco...she did a fabulous job and I hope she finds a great job real soon...hopefully in something I watch. :)

as a reader her death was the first time I have really been shocked by the TV show. I think it was a good way to keep people on their feet, specially with the way some things have been different from the book. maybe characters who live in the book but don't do anything will now be fair game?

Actually I agree now. Pycelle's scene showed who he really was.

But in the infamous littlefinger scene... "play with her ass... do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?... I can't beat them, so I'm going to fuck them." That scene was not executed as good as it could've been.

I never thought that was a bad scene because of the sexual content; given the context, that stuff seemed perfectly appropriate to me. What made it one of the program's weakest scenes, IMO, was LF's blatant speechmaking -he essentially "cut a promo" to the viewing audience.

The show by and large has done a good job avoiding this. But usually when they make this mistake it involves Littlefinger.It's as though D&D(and the rest of the writers really want to trust the viewership to get things through subtext, but periodically they get cold feet and have LF make a speech to announce his intentions. Curious.

On the subject of this thread, I liked the character well enough, and think Esme acquitted herself well. I will admit I enjoyed both her acting AND her nudity.

So much for my crackpot theory that Ros was going to be used as a "Jeyne Poole" substitute for a certain one of Littlefinger's schemes.

(And if you haven't read the books, don't spoiler yourself by looking up that one, please.)

I liked the character Ros, but I recognize that she had a few purposes:

- As a compilation of sorts, for all the various high-end whores in King's Landing that are in the story.

- As a way of highlighting the evil ruthlessness of Littlefinger, and to some degree the unusual compassion of Varys. Then there's the extra sadism of Joffrey, they need to show too - in the books Joffrey was worse in a lot of ways (more Sansa tormenting, more random killing of commoners because he enjoys it, etc.). So basically Ros acts as the one who walks through this minefield of intrigue (until she hits a mine and dies).

- Of course, there's also the issue of Littlefinger's plans & personality. In Season 1, he gave a sort of speech to her which revealed something about himself, his desires. Ros maybe just knew that and put 2+2 together with regard to Sansa. Her mistake I guess was trying to protect Sansa from him. (I guess redheads from the North stick together?)

Overall, I feel bad for Ros to die that way.

I never thought that was a bad scene because of the sexual content; given the context, that stuff seemed perfectly appropriate to me. What made it one of the program's weakest scenes, IMO, was LF's blatant speechmaking -he essentially "cut a promo" to the viewing audience.

The show by and large has done a good job avoiding this. But usually when they make this mistake it involves Littlefinger.It's as though D&D(and the rest of the writers really want to trust the viewership to get things through subtext, but periodically they get cold feet and have LF make a speech to announce his intentions. Curious.

Perhaps he is the favorite character of D&D and they use him to basically place themselves in the show in a sense to address the viewers. Adds to my parallel about Ros being D&D's "bad investment."

And LF chaos speech I think was total promo making. Not sure if he says the same thing in the books, but if not then that's totally it.

I didn't have strong feelings about Ros either way. she was just another bit character, to me. Ros being invented for the show was neither here nor there, as far as I'm concerned. She actress did her part, sometimes well, sometimes not. In that way she was much better than a couple of main actors in the show that I thought were consistently awful. Ros being what Ros was, a bit role, I really didn't care whether she lived or died.

Having said that, I have to congratulate the show on making as much of her in death as possible. It was a shocking and powerful moment, that certainly served to leave its mark on me as a viewer. It gave an otherwise mediocre episode a punch it desperately needed, and it made that crossbow indelible in the memory of viewers. Next time that crossbow is used, they will be in no doubt as to whom it once belonged, and how it got into Tywin's room.

RIP, Ros.

How was sexual violence "glamourized?" It was portrayed as horrible, committed by a despicable character, the actual violence was not shown, and even the final scene was only on the screen for a few seconds.

What you're really objecting to is having sexual violence portrayed period, which is a ridiculous limitation to place on fiction. What, are we supposed to pretend it doesn't exist?

No, it's not OK to glamorise sexual violence. Thankfully, the sexual violence wasn't glamorised, so no issues there.

Exactly. Hiding from an issue does not make it any less extant.

Well, to quote the actress herself. "I've seen stills and it looks absolutely beautiful, like a painting" http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/episodes/3/26-the-climb/interview/esme-bianco.html

It was made to look beautiful. That's what i call glamourisation. In fact, she was beaten and shot multiple times, she probably cried and begged for mercy or death, in a little see-through dress. It wasn't beautiful, it wasn't sexy, and it was silenced.

I'm not against sexual violence being portrayed , but if a show chooses to do so, it should own up to it and show its ugly side too, not only a pretty shot of a dead girl.

Well, to quote the actress herself. "I've seen stills and it looks absolutely beautiful, like a painting" http://www.hbo.com/g...sme-bianco.html

It was made to look beautiful. That's what i call glamourisation.

She's beautiful, and there's not much that can be done about that. She also said that every scene she was in looked like that, and that she was glad they didn't actually show the torture. But otherwise, it's in the eye of the beholder. The scene was shown quickly. The reaction of the people with whom I was watching the show was identical -- gasps all around. No "that was a turn-on", or "she looked so hot", or "that looked really intriguing". Nothing of the sort. It was shock/horror. So what was your reaction to that scene, and why do you assume the rest of us aren't as understanding?

In fact, she was beaten and shot multiple times, she probably cried and begged for mercy or death, in a little see-through dress.

If they had shown the scene as you describe it, I'd agree. But you're forced to say "probably" precisely because they did not show that. We didn't see her cry, or beg for mercy, as her heaving bosom strained at the thin material....You're essentially treating this as if they'd actually shown the slow killing itself, which would have been horrible. But they didn't.

The books presented Joffrey as a sexual sadist, which is part of the reason that everyone (including the guy who wrote him that way) was happy to see him die. And that's the kind of thing sexual sadists do. Thankfully, they did not go for cheap thrills and actually show her being tortured (as do so many other shows), but just the sad result.

It wasn't beautiful, it wasn't sexy, and it was silenced. I'm not against sexual violence being portrayed , but if a show chooses to do so, it should own up to it and show its ugly side too, not only a pretty shot of a dead girl.

You're contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you say "it wasn't beautiful, it wasn't sexy". On the other hand, you accuse them of showing only a pretty shot of a dead girl. I think what's really going on is that you're essentially placing yourself above other viewers, as if they all are getting some gratuitious thrill from the scene, but you're not. Isn't that rather presumptuous on your part? If you recognized that it wasn't beautiful or sexy, but instead showed something horrible, then why do you assume the rest of us saw it any differently?

As to "owning up and show its ugly side"...I really have no idea what you're talking about. They showed a poor dead woman pierced and bloodied from quarrels shot by a sadist. That is the ugly side. Would you have preferred them to drag it out and show extended, gratuitous shots of her in a see-through outfit? That would be pandering to the sicko crowd. Instead, the almost universal reaciton is one of horror, and a renewed appreciation for what a truly sick individual Joffrey is.

I was just starting to get interested in her once she became a spy for Varys but I do see how her death could lead to future events and clarity to actions taken by others. First Tyrion is still concerned for his own safety with Joff but was told by Cersie that he need not fear now that Dad was there. This could be a message to Tyrion that he hasn't been forgotten and isn't as safe after all. Did he know of Grandpa's plans for Tyrion's marriage, making Ros was the toy to be disgarded now? After all, as far as anyone knows at this point, Ros was Tyrions misstress, not Shea.

Littlefinger, in using Ros for Joff's sport is of corse sending a message to Varys that he isn't as smart as he thinks he is and in a way, not safe. Wonder if Littlefinger knows about the man in the box, if he did he might think twice about that.

Certainly when the Tyrells hear of this, their feelings of having control of Joff might change. Enough to kill him now, after the wedding or later still? Or are they really the ones who do kill Joff, or someone else?

Archived