Shae and Tyrion's relationship

Quote from another thread that sums up my question.

In the show it seems likely that this wedding will be the wedge that separates Shae from Tyrion. At least it seems that way, we'll have to see Shae's reaction next episode I suppose but given that earlier scene between the two of them I can't imagine her taking it as well as she does in the books.

This brings up something interesting I hadn't considered when reading the books. Was Shae always going to turn on Tyrion, or did she mentally check/succumb to jealousy out once he got married?

My initial read through the books, I never thought Shae really loved Tyrion and was counting the days until she inevitably turned on him. Her abandoning him at the same time as Bronn reinforced this, in my view. They were both only sticking with him for his money, and when they got better offers they hung him out to dry. The way the show is going, however, means I'm not so sure about this.

If I recall correctly, there was a conversation this season between Shae and Tyrion regarding Sansa's desirability that did not happen in the books. The upshot of that was Shae being very upset over perceived feelings of fondness Tyrion has for Sansa. The way the Tyrion/Sansa wedding is playing out in the show, it seems that there is going to be more in that vein coming up.

So what do we think? Did Shae have an actual arc, or was Tyrion's mistake about her just another illustration of his problems with women/trust in general?

(Posting this here, since I'm not sure how much of this discussion would be appropriate for the section dedicated to the show.)

IRRC, in the book series, when Tyrion tells Shae about the engagement, she replies something like:

"It's no big deal, you'll put a baby in her belly and come back to me."

Tyrion is then distraught over her lack of jealousy.

Hmm. That's a tough one, in truth.

For me, the Shae in the show and the Shae from the book are quite different. In the book, the reader assumes that Shae has feelings for Tyrion etc. because she never has a POV. Later, when she begins to sleep with Tywin and betray Tyrion, quite a few fans wanted to believe that she had once loved him. But we never really know, do we?

The Shae that we meet in the show is rather different. She has a softer side, which is seen when she voices her concerns for Sansa. She seems to really care for Tyrion, and we know that she cares for him this time. So later, when she betrays him, I think it will come as much more of a shock to TV audiences.

My point is: IMO the Shae in the books never really loved Tyrion. I believe that she cared for him in a way at some point, but not for long

In the TV series, she really did love him. Although I see that slipping now.

Edit: Typo.

She was never jealous of Tyrion getting married, Shae never shied away from the fact that she was a whore. When Tyrion told her of the marriage she said fine you will get Sansa with child, but you will be in my bed later. Her intentions was not to turn on Tyrion, but once Tywin got hands on her she had to survive. Considering that Cersei and Tywin had Alayaya stripped naked and beaten one can't blame her for her actions. Tyrion's mistake was thinking a busniess proposition with Shae obligated her to love him unconditionally. She was good at what she did, it's not her fault Tyrion fell in love.

Her intentions was not to turn on Tyrion, but once Tywin got hands on her she had to survive.

:agree:

Shae is first and foremost a survivor, much like Bronn. I believe she did care for Tyrion, if not down right in love, but when it came to her safety and Tyrion's, she chose herself. That's a very humane thing to do. Tyrion would've done the same if family or true love was not in the equation.

Said it before, but Shae was a young naive girl. She thought she could marry Tyrion and live as his wife. Oberyn turning up with his paramour made things much worse. Everything that Tyrion did to protect her, she saw as him doing it to spite her.

I would say Shae probably had more real affection for Tyrion than he did for her. He is overly keen to replace her with Sansa.

To be honest, I never felt Shae loved Tyrion at all.

She was just acting how she was supposed to act to please him and get some privileges from it. And he didn't love her too. His true love was Tysha and Shae was just someone who kinda reminded him of her.

Don't even get me started on tv series Shae. The whole jealousy scene made me roll my eyes.

Shae is first and foremost a survivor, much like Bronn. I believe she did care for Tyrion, if not down right in love, but when it came to her safety and Tyrion's, she chose herself. That's a very humane thing to do. Tyrion would've done the same if family or true love was not in the equation.

It's not even slightly humane, it is disgustingly selfish. Her cover wasn't actually blown, Cersei just thought she was a bedmaid. From the trial scene it is pretty clear she came forward to condemn him to death and humiliate him for personal gain. It isn't really the same as what Bronn did, Bronn simply points out there is no real benefit to him taking part in a trial by battle against the Mountain and says he hopes to hear of Tyrion's survival.

To be honest, I never felt Shae loved Tyrion at all.

She was just acting how she was supposed to act to please him and get some privileges from it. And he didn't love her too. His true love was Tysha and Shae was just someone who kinda reminded him of her.

Don't even get me started on tv series Shae. The whole jealousy scene made me roll my eyes.

Loved is too strong a word, but she cared for him and had plans or being Lady Lannister. If she was only acting why did her behaviour to him change drastically over his apparent slights? There is no reason for her to be cold towards Tyrion, because that way she gains nothing. If she was loving to the end until the moment she betrayed him then that would suggest it was always just an act.

All we know about Shae is from Tyrion and a bit from Sansa's POVs. The way I see it, we'll have to wait until we meet her relative or someone who knew her before, maybe in Arya or Dany's POV. We don't even know where she's really from, personal history, etc, so we have very little at hand to truly judge her character.

Maybe we'll never know.

Edited typo.

Not the same thing at all. Shae did everything possible to get him the death penalty and worse still to humiliate him. There was too much anger in her testimony for it just to be a matter of survival. Bronn on the other hand came to see him when he did not have to and told him the reasons clearly. Would you expect a friendly work colleague to die for you? Bronn probably saw his chances of beating the Mountain at best 50/50 and maybe lower. Very reasonable for him to back out.

Loved is too strong a word, but she cared for him and had plans or being Lady Lannister. If she was only acting why did her behaviour to him change drastically over his apparent slights? There is no reason for her to be cold towards Tyrion, because that way she gains nothing. If she was loving to the end until the moment she betrayed him then that would suggest it was always just an act.

I just go from what I've seen.

What GRRM gave us is someone who is greedy and only that. Tyrion woke up for the reality of it and killed her.

If it went beyond that, GRRM would have given us insight of that.

I just go from what I've seen.

What GRRM gave us is someone who is greedy and only that. Tyrion woke up for the reality of it and killed her.

If it went beyond that, GRRM would have given us insight of that.

Here is an example of Shae reacting angrily and coldly to Tyrion refusing to let her do something.

Tyrion was soon ready again. This time he lasted much longer. When he finished Shae crawled back up him and curled up naked under his arm. "You'll let me come, won't you?"

"Shae," he groaned, "it is not safe."

For a time she said nothing at all. Tyrion tried to speak of other things, but he met a wall of sullen courtesy as icy and unyielding as the Wall he'd once walked in the north. Gods be good, he thought wearily as he watched the candle burn down and begin to gutter, how could I let this happen again, after Tysha?

No, she didn't. She wasn't the sharpest tool in the drawer but she was smart enough to realise high lords don't marry prostitutes.

No I don't think she was. She saw Oberyn and saw his treatment of his paramour. She even talks about marrying Tyrion if I am not mistaken. Also one of her demands to Cersei is to marry a knight. I would say Shae was not to dissimilar to a young girl, who wants to marry a footballer.

What do you think they would do if they got their hands on the Hand's lady?"

"The Hand's whore, you mean?" She looked at him with those big bold eyes of hers. "Though I would be your lady, m'lord. I'd dress in all the beautiful things you gave me, in satin and samite and cloth-of-gold, and I'd wear your jewels and hold your hand and sit by you at feasts. I could give you sons, I know I could . . . and I vow I'd never shame you."

No I don't think she was. She saw Oberyn and saw his treatment of his paramour. She even talks about marrying Tyrion if I am not mistaken. Also one of her demands to Cersei is to marry a knight. I would say Shae was not to dissimilar to a young girl, who wants to marry a footballer.

Dorne is okay with mistresses, not Lannisters lol

Tywin would never allow Tyrion to take a whore as a wife (as we know it). Tyrion would never try to pull that one. Ever.

Tyrion is a Lannister, not a knight.

Dorne is okay with mistresses, not Lannisters lol

Tywin would never allow Tyrion to take a whore as a wife (as we know it). Tyrion would never try to pull that one. Ever.

Tyrion is a Lannister, not a knight.

I know that is the case, but that is not what Shae is thinking. Look as the conversation goes on. She does not understand why Tyrion does make her his Lady.

"A sweet dream, Shae. Now put it aside, I beg you. It can never be."

"Because of the queen? I'm not afraid of her either."

"I am."

She actually never gives in to this point and Tyrion changes the subject. From her point of view it seems Tyrion is refusing to make her a Lady, because he is ashamed of her.

shae liked tyrion the same way ygritte liked jon so much they treated them better than past men. I do think tv show shae has more love for him than the book one, but she still is a survivor hell the talk with ros alone showed that. But i do like TV show shae more than book one and i will be sad to her go

Archived