[Book Spoilers] Blackfish

Nagisa Furukawa

Agreed that it's a different Blackfish but somehow it makes me like Edmure more than I did in the books though.

This. In the books I saw Edmure as a little older, getting somewhat round but I think I misjudged him. He isn't the brightest fellow, but he tries worth a damn.

Off-topic

He got part of his ear bitten off during a fight in Newcastle.

Say what? How did that happen?

On Topic:

It does seem like the Blackfish is filling in for the greatjon this season.

I can understand them not wanting to introduce him in the Vale since nobody would remember him but I really wish they hadn't held off on Riverrun for so long. There just wasn't enough time to develop both the Blackfish and Edmure. I don't believe either of them are mentioned in the show till this season.

come on the book tullys are a bit screwd up

cat is the most stupid and she botched everything she tried

in fact she probably started the whole war by herself when she arrested Tyrion based on some information given by LF

should i continue with her sister Lysa?

now Holster was a bit prudent but not over the top

poor edmure is probably as stupid and insecure as any other Tully i know

and his mistake is not major in my opinion as Robb and his host try to make it look he wasnt informed of their plans but he screwd them up

if he was a real man he should have send them away with a boot up their ... but no Cat is not blamed for sending away their most prized hostage and Robb for screwing around and marrying some girl met on the battlefield and by this losing suport of the Freys and the Karstarks

no the fact that edmuse who was kept blind from a very contrived and elusive plan made by the masters of warplaning like ROBB and the Blackfish (in the books Blackfish is with Robb not like in the show in Riverrun waiting for his brother to die, so if he knew the plan he could share it with Edmure)

in fact the Blackfish states in the book he cant be the one who can give marriage advices but they still black(fish)mailing poor Edmure

This a thug at the moment. WHAT THE FUCK? The blackfish is ace, so why are we getting a dumb thug? The actor's good too, but christ.

Yeah, why not a clever verbal cut instead of a threat to punch him? It's idiotic. The BF was a badass, but come on.

I think they're making the Blackfish so over the top because, in a few episodes, he'll be the last player still on the Stark's side. They have't introduced Manderly or Reed yet. Martin really over does the beat down of the Starks. There are a ton of viewers on Team Stark and they risk the chance of losing them if the Starks have no hope. At least with the Blackfish still alive, you have a sense that maybe the Starks can somehow recover. Going forward, the show faces 2 huge challenges: The Stark situation and Dany. We all kept reading. They have to give the viewers enough hope to keep watching.

I try not to criticize too much so I'll just say I prefer book Blackfish. He's neither here nor there on the show.

I'm actually starting to really like Edmure a lot though. I think I feel bad for him, he's kind of like the underdog or something. I hope they find an opportunity to show how as a Lord he really cares for his people as opposed to most of the other Lords in Westeros.

come on the book tullys are a bit screwd up

cat is the most stupid and she botched everything she tried

Catelyn shows more brains then almost the entire Stark clan combined, especially when one looks at the older Stark clan.

I agree, I genuinely wanted to slap the shit out of everyone in that room who wasn't Edmure. Both Blackfish and Robb are berating Edmure on such flimsy grounds that the scene should have ended with him losing his temper and throwing that fact in their faces.

Very true - Edmure is lord of Riverrun, he deserves not to be treated in such a manner in his own castle!

Really? Damn, he did surly tough guy well.

It's just pure speculation on my part, could be HBO black lists some actors who probably don't break their contracts but exercise a contract option.

Conan Stevens , long ago, said after he finished The Hobbit, he would like back as the Mountain.

Now he has not mentioned it for many months , as if he knows something and rather not talk about it.

I can't tell about Clive Mantle , he did free up, but maybe opted not to come back.

Odd he was involved in a fight that put him the hospital this year, having his ear put back on, the media refereed to him as a Game of Thrones Star , as if he was still on the show.

He is now in another TV series.

I don't know if anyone has ever asked him about GOT and what happened?

I'm just gonna post what I posted in the nitpick thread.

Okay, I hate nitpicking threads. Hate them. I always think, why cant people just be freaking happy?

This episode has turned me to the darkside.

This episode, all I could think of, was why why why why the fuck is this show making me dislike the Blackfish?

I love him in the books, but in the show, he's just a prick.

He belittles Edmure in their first scene in the show, I realise he's emotional because Hoster is his brother, but he was Edmure's father, and Edmure is, you know, his nephew and all.

And now we have this weeks scene, where for some reason, Brynden Tully is acting like its Edmure's fault Robb broke his vows, like its perfectly reasonable that because Edmure screwed up a chance of killing Gregor Clegane, a landed fucking Knight, not even a Lord, its acceptable to cajole him into being stuck with one of Walder Frey's daughters.

People keep saying the Blackfish is badass, usually citing his punching of Karstark as an example. Karstark was chained. Samwell Tarly could have punched him and had no repercussions.

The show has made the Blackfish a douche.

End Rant.

Edit: I apologise for my slight incoherence. I was angry.

I don't have my books with me, but doesn't he do pretty much the same thing in the books (apart from the fist in teeth comment)? I don't have my books with me, but if I recall correctly, he 'compels' Edmure by saying something about how he needed to make amends for allowing the Lannisters to pass through to King's Landing.

ShowFish is a bit more hardened than BookFish, maybe. I can agree with that.

He does point out the Battle of the Fords, but he also makes it clear that he'd be a complete hypocrite if he did make him, “I am the last man in the Seven Kingdoms to tell anyone who they must wed, Nephew. Nonetheless, you did say something of making amends for your Battle of the Fords.”

That quote says it all about the difference between the show's and books' Blackfish. They removed one of his most intriguing traits and changed him from an intelligent, clever man at Robb's side to Robb's bulldog, Vinnie Jones (okay, maybe that's a LITTLE far, but as others have said, "thug" is the perfect word for Show Blackfish).

Archived