[Book Spoilers] Blackfish

Nagisa Furukawa

It bothers me tremendously, but at the same time, this is the realities of making a TV show with too many characters for your average TV audience to keep track of. They can't afford to be subtle with the minor characters.

The Blackfish was always a hard man, but in the show he is just a jerk towards Edmure. In the books there was compassion for Edmure when he missed his shots at Hosters funeral ship, he understood he was grieving for his father. In the show he didnt seem to care at all.

On top of that I dont need to explain what was wrong with this show.

It bothers me tremendously, but at the same time, this is the realities of making a TV show with too many characters for your average TV audience to keep track of. They can't afford to be subtle with the minor characters.

But...why not? The audience of this show is not stupid. I've always found this to be a lame excuse.

But...why not? The audience of this show is not stupid. I've always found this to be a lame excuse.

It is totally lame where the thugging up of the BF is concerned, there is no excuse for it, he doesn't need to threaten his liege lord to be shown as a badass or to show that he lacks respect for Edmure or his decision making. There are many things they could have done to convey exactly the same message without the shove and the threatening to punch his lights out.

It is totally lame where the thugging up of the BF is concerned, there is no excuse for it, he doesn't need to threaten his liege lord to be shown as a badass or to show that he lacks respect for Edmure or his decision making. There are many things they could have done to convey exactly the same message without the shove and the threatening to punch his lights out.

Yes, instead of threatening to punch his lights out he could have sarcastically said something like "Your the lord of Riverrun now and its what a good lord would do - you do want to be a good lord dont you?"

Yes, instead of threatening to punch his lights out he could have sarcastically said something like "Your the lord of Riverrun now and its what a good lord would do - you do want to be a good lord dont you?"

Sure, he could have thrown his plate at the wall if they feel the need to make him extra violent, he could have gone on a mini screaming rant outlining all of Edmure's failings, eye rolled him, whatever, anything but what they had him do, this isn't The Sopranos afterall. The Greatjon lost a finger for backtalking his liege lord. BF gets to make threats of violence and commit actr of violence at will against his liege lord. Just no.

Sure, he could have thrown his plate at the wall if they feel the need to make him extra violent, he could have gone on a mini screaming rant outlining all of Edmure's failings, eye rolled him, whatever, anything but what they had him do, this isn't The Sopranos afterall. The Greatjon lost a finger for backtalking his liege lord. BF gets to make threats of violence and commit actr of violence at will against his liege lord. Just no.

First, the Greatjon lost two fingers for baring steel against his liege lord, not backtalking. Second, I clearly recall Tyrion slapping Joffrey on several occasions, without "legal" repercussions. Still, no one ever complained about the lack of realism of that. And I also clearly recall Joffrey being something more than a liege lord. So, what's up with that? What makes it more believable than the Blackfish being rude his young and trying nephew, who's just recently become his liege lord?

Surely blackfish has to go to the twins and do all the good bits at protecting robb before jumping off the bridge to escape. Would make perfect sense both from a good TV point of view and it wouldn't affect his future plot lines.

I can see how including him in the twins would help give the scene more impact, but his escape would have to be handled carefully: it'd be easy to (accidentally, I hope!) make it look like he was running away and abandoning the others.

I can see how including him in the twins would help give the scene more impact, but his escape would have to be handled carefully: it'd be easy to (accidentally, I hope!) make it look like he was running away and abandoning the others.

I also believe that if Blackfish is at the Twins, he'll escape by jumping off a bridge, setting him up as a great swimmer for later scenes at Riverrun. Though you're right, it'll easily look like as if he was abandoning people and running, but perhaps the right solution is to separate him from Robb, and have him cornered by dozen Freys on the bridge, where there's no other option.

Haven't read the books so I don't have any comparison but I really enjoy this Blackfish character. It seems lately his "thuggish" demeanor is a response to everyone having very loose respect for the King in the North. He is a traditional guy so hearing all these guys disrespect and talk to Robb the way no man would ever talk to a King has worn down his patience. Plus with them losing the war there isn't any time for BS. That's the way I see it. Not coming off as "thuggish" or "disrespectful" at all to me. And I would LOVE to see him fight his way out of the RW after he see's all hope is lost for King Robb, Catelyn and his men. I despise those damn Freys.

The problem is more Edmure than BF, I think. In the books, he's younger. If Cat is 35ish in the books. Lysa is 2 years younger, and I got the impression that Edmure was late twenties or so. In need of BF guidance.

In the show Cat is 50 and Edmure seems like he's 40 years old. Old enough to know better.

But I agree that in the books BF is a unique character, and it's lost on the show.

I also believe that if Blackfish is at the Twins, he'll escape by jumping off a bridge, setting him up as a great swimmer for later scenes at Riverrun.

It just occurred to me that they could also have him getting Talisa out of the Twins - and that Robb gives him that mission. That could streamline a later story element (the details are very hazy for me - isn't Blackfish somehow protecting Robb's possibly-pregnant wife later on?), although it'd leave Edmure's story, um, hanging.

It just occurred to me that they could also have him getting Talisa out of the Twins - and that Robb gives him that mission. That could streamline a later story element (the details are very hazy for me - isn't Blackfish somehow protecting Robb's possibly-pregnant wife later on?), although it'd leave Edmure's story, um, hanging.

Entirely possible, but I believe they'll go the same route they did in the books, Robb doesn't take his wife with him to avoid offending the Freys.

Entirely possible, but I believe they'll go the same route they did in the books, Robb doesn't take his wife with him to avoid offending the Freys.

I don't think so, this picture looks like the RW, and Talisa is present.

ETA:

Well, I guess Edmure would be bedding his wife just like in the books, so there's no time and opportunity to get him out of there. So, his story would continue like in the books.

Archived