[Book Spoilers] Blackfish

Nagisa Furukawa

EDMURE: The laws of gods and men are very clear: no man can compel another man to marriage.

BLACKFISH: The laws of my fist are about to compel your teeth!

After the initial "ugh" at just how poor of a line that was, I suddenly realized it was coming from THE BLACKFISH! The man infamous for not letting another man (Hoster Tully) compel another man! It's about the most un-Blackfish thing he could've said, honestly.

Thinking back as to how he's been handled this season, actually, I really don't like how much of an absolute violent hothead they've made him. I was able to take him being sterner with Edmure during the funeral scene; I accepted him yelling at Edmure about how he addresses "his king," when he's addressing "his lord" in a worse fashion. But to take one of the most interesting traits about the Blackfish and to completely remove it (elsewise, wouldn't Edmure had pointed out the insane hypocrisy?) for yet another "Edmure, you suck!" moment, I'm officially pissed at how they're treating Brynden Tully.

*Edmure

But yes, I do completely agree with you. The Blackfish and Mance have been, to me anyway, a particularly big let down. (I must note Mance has never realy been a favourite for me in the novels so I cant complain too much) With that note however I must say I loved Kraznys, Ramsay, Roose, Locke and even enjoy the changes to Meere and Jojen.

EDWIN: The laws of gods and men are very clear: no man can compel another man to marriage.

BLACKFISH: The laws of my fist are about to compel your teeth!

After the initial "ugh" at just how poor of a line that was, I suddenly realized it was coming from THE BLACKFISH! The man infamous for not letting another man (Hoster Tully) compel another man! It's about the most un-Blackfish thing he could've said, honestly.

Thinking back as to how he's been handled this season, actually, I really don't like how much of an absolute violent hothead they've made him. I was able to take him being sterner with Edwin during the funeral scene; I accepted him yelling at Edwin about how he addresses "his king," when he's addressing "his lord" in a worse fashion. But to take one of the most interesting traits about the Blackfish and to completely remove it (elsewise, wouldn't Edwin had pointed out the insane hypocrisy?) for yet another "Edwin, you suck!" moment, I'm officially pissed at how they're treating Brynden Tully.

Who's Edwin?

I think they really missed a big opportunity by not introducing him earlier. It's a shame too because it would have given Robb an able supporter and would have given them more time to spend on the Blackfish's character.

Yes, Edmure is definitely getting a lot of sympathy points, even though I feel he's not as sympathetic as his book counterpart either. I disliked the show Blackfish from the very first moment he appeared, but since he was quite nice in the scene with Catelyn, I hoped that his behaviour at the funeral was just one blunder from the writers.... I really should have known better (IIRC Catelyn had the same treatment).

The actor seems all right though, it's a shame his character has been turned into an unsympathetic roughneck.

Ran put it best when he describes Brynden as "thuggish" in the review, which is apparently due to the writers merging him with the Greatjon. I still think he was unfair to Edmure in the novels, but it was never close to this bad. Threatening to punch the Lord of Riverrun in his own castle??? :bang:

The folks at A Podcast of Ice and Fire are calling him Thugfish which is brilliant. I'm not overly bothered by his portrayal but I would have liked more scenes between him and Catelyn to show that his disdain is reserved for Edmure rather than being his general demeanour.

Not only is the Blackfish a jerk, he's also an idiot so far. You got to wonder why Edmure doesn't just arrest him or punish him in some other way. He's the Lord after all, it's beyond dumb of the Blackfish to treat him that way. And in the show he's not Robb's right hand in military matters, so this doesn't protect him...

I don't have my books with me, but doesn't he do pretty much the same thing in the books (apart from the fist in teeth comment)? I don't have my books with me, but if I recall correctly, he 'compels' Edmure by saying something about how he needed to make amends for allowing the Lannisters to pass through to King's Landing.

ShowFish is a bit more hardened than BookFish, maybe. I can agree with that.

I'm disliking TV Robb more and more with each episode.

Robb ticked Edmure off for his error yet it was he (Robb) who screwed up in the first place by sticking his dick in a woman from Volantis and offended Walder Frey.

Blackfish is meant to be a bad ass but I dont like his treatment of his Lord Edmure.

Robb, Cat and Blackfish are treating Edmure like a naughty schoolboy!

Riverrun looks beautiful - Winterfell is a shithole in comparison.

I think it odd that they hired such fine actors as Ciaran Hinds and Clive Russell , then give them so little screen time.

Mance has had zero development.

The Blackfish , well..., they seem to have given him no dimension, another strained underdevelopment by Dave and Dan.

Like D&D concentrate on a certain parts of the narrative and don't have time for the rest.

I'm disliking TV Robb more and more with each episode.

Robb ticked Edmure off for his error yet it was he (Robb) who screwed up in the first place by sticking his dick in a woman from Volantis and offended Walder Frey.

Blackfish is meant to be a bad ass but I dont like his treatment of his Lord Edmure.

Robb, Cat and Blackfish are treating Edmure like a naughty schoolboy!

Riverrun looks beautiful - Winterfell is a shithole in comparison.

I'm pretty sure in the book Robb even says something to the effect of 'I won't compel you, not in a matter like this' before he talks about how their cause is lost if they don't reforge the Frey alliance. He recognizes how massively hypocritical it is that he is demanding his uncle marry some random Frey girl even though Robb himself wasn't willing to do it.

And yet Book Robb even had a semi-honorable reason for backing out of that marriage (dishonoring a girl) rather than Show Robb's overt appeal to having fallen in love with a random chick from Volantis.

I agree, I genuinely wanted to slap the shit out of everyone in that room who wasn't Edmure. Both Blackfish and Robb are berating Edmure on such flimsy grounds that the scene should have ended with him losing his temper and throwing that fact in their faces.

Archived