Does Jojen Know About Jon's Parentage?

sashas89

I can't remember reading it in the books, but in the series, Jojen tells Bran that he saw the day Howland Reed saved Eddard's life. Because Jojen can see things in the past with his greensight, there is a chance that he could have witnessed the events of the Tower of Joy and Lyanna's death. In that case, he would know Jon's true parentage.

Could Jojen be the one to reveal to Bran about Jon's identity? Is that the reason why they made Sam promise them not to tell Jon about Bran's survival (knowing that Jon may be pulled into the war due to his birth)?

Alternatively, could Bran learn about Jon's parentage through his greensight?

Also, what do you make of the name of Bran's wolf? Summer is an apt name for the wolf of a would-be demigod. Could Bran be the one to stop the Others and end the Long Night?

Yes I think Jojen knows what happened at the ToJ and told Howland and he explained it more to Jojen so he knows every detail.

I think though that Bran will see through this Greensight and try and contact Jon in some way and tell him if he can.

Bran will be an important person in the fight against The Others, telling Jon more about The Others and how to defeat them. And maybe Bran will warg some animals and fight The Others with them.

Yes, I believe so, otherwise I see no real reason for Howland Reed to send his children to Winterfell.

I think Bran could figure it all out as well though with bits and pieces of events he sees through the Weirwood.

I think the name of Bran's wolf was prophetic, he did name him because he could feel the warmth from the wolf's eyes when he awoke in the cold of his room. Bran has already communicated with Jon through the weirwood and I suspect he did so for a reason. That reason could be that he knows Jon's parentage and Jon's purpose because when he contacted Jon he did so back in time. It was not something he did in the present.

I noticed in my re-read that Jojen found it very strange that Bran did not know the story of the knight of the laughing tree, asking several times if he was sure he never heard it.

He found it odd that Ned never spoke at length about Lyanna and that period of the Stark family history with his children.

I joke of course,it has to be one of the weirdest theories I've ever heard.

lack of sarcasm font ruins everything ;)

Yes I think Jojen knows what happened at the ToJ and told Howland and he explained it more to Jojen so he knows every detail.

I think though that Bran will see through this Greensight and try and contact Jon in some way and tell him if he can.

Bran will be an important person in the fight against The Others, telling Jon more about The Others and how to defeat them. And maybe Bran will warg some animals and fight The Others with them.

I reeeeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy want this to be true :D

• 10 months later...
Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 2:

Bran: When my father died, I dreamt it.

Jojen: You didn't dream it. You saw it. So did I.

Bran: You have the sight, too?

Jojen : When I told my father about your father, for the first time in my life, I saw him cry.

Bran : Your father is Howland Reed. He saved my father’s life during the rebellion.

Jojen : Your father told you about the rebellion? Mine never did. But I saw that too.

Did Jojen see Howland save Ned or did Jojen just see parts of Robert's Rebellion? Can Jojen see the past clearly and just the future murky or is this a deviation from the book? I don't recall him having the ability to see the past in the book. If he could see the past clearly he could tell Bran how he fell. I am not sure how I feel about Jojen's green sight letting him see the past.

Also interesting, in the book Jojen is shocked Ned never told Bran the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree whereas in the show Bran is shocked Howland never told Jojen about saving Ned.

From the text, it seemed to me that Eddard kept more secrets from his children than Howland did with his, particularly about the Tower of Joy. (This is understandable though - the Crannogmen keep to themselves, and also seem somewhat ostracized by the rest of society; not likely to be the source of rumour-mongering.)

Archived