Robb the Hypocrite(BOOK SPOILERS)

KingWolf

I didn't like Robb in his scene this episode mostly because of how much of a Hypocrit he is.Telling Edmure to marry the frey girl or risk causing a war and more death.

This entire problem is Robb's fault.I must say I like book Robb's reason for marrying much more than the show.In the book he married out of guilt and honor.But here he marries out of love(which is fine)but then he starts berating Edmure telling him to do the exact same thing he did.The Blackfish never helped either.What do you all think?

The show fucked up big time when they changed the reasons Robb broke his vow. But I thought this scene was the most sympathetic Robb has been all season. He seemed to fully acknowledge his guilt, and even agreed that it was completely unfair for Edmure to marry, but it was still essential for their cause. He didn't really berate Edmure IMO. I think Blackfish did that more than Robb.

"You're paying for my sins, uncle. It's not fair or right"- there's a self-realization that Robb has in this scene that I quite liked. He's being honest about his mistakes, and seems to know how unfair it is for others to make sacrifices for him.

I didn't like Robb in his scene this episode mostly because of how much of a Hypocrit he is.Telling Edmure to marry the frey girl or risk causing a war and more death.

This entire problem is Robb's fault.I must say I like book Robb's reason for marrying much more than the show.In the book he married out of guilt and honor.But here he marries out of love(which is fine)but then he starts berating Edmure telling him to do the exact same thing he did.The Blackfish never helped either.What do you all think?

Did he berate him? I thought he said he wouldn't force him, and then took responsibility and said Edmure was paying for his sins and he was in his debt or whatever.

Also Robb in the book is a hypocrite for marrying Jeyne to "protect her honor" when he was the one who besmirched it in the first place (and grief is no excuse). Both Robbs did the wrong thing by marrying their perspective wives and one doesn't have a more valid excuse than the other.

Did he berate him? I thought he said he wouldn't force him, and then took responsibility and said Edmure was paying for his sins and he was in his debt or whatever.

Also Robb in the book is a hypocrite for marrying Jeyne to "protect her honor" when he was the one who besmirched it in the first place (and grief is no excuse). Both Robbs did the wrong thing by marrying their perspective wives and one doesn't have a more valid excuse than the other.

It was the same absurdly dumb move but the book version is more sympathetic.

Did anyone catch the part where he says 'Harrenhal's not in the North'.

Basically he's saying, f*ck the riverlands. They didn't even basically exist in the last season and even now they're kind of like the place where he happens to be now. Not like they have a nobility of their own or anything. Except Edmure. Lulz.

Basically he's saying, f*ck the riverlands. They didn't even basically exist in the last season and even now they're kind of like the place where he happens to be now. Not like they have a nobility of their own or anything. Except Edmure. Lulz.

Yeah, that's pretty weird. It's like the Riverlands are not part of Robb's kingdom in the show. I hope he's just saying that Harrenhal is not under his direct command, that it's under Edmure's responsability. And when he says he's fighting for the North I hope he means the kingdom of the North as whole, including the Riverlands.

Yeah, I think he is a hypocrite here, and very foolish, which makes him really dangerous, a loose cannon.

You're a loose cannon, Robb! Turn in your badge and your sword, I don't want to see you anywhere near this investigation.

I liked the scene a lot, Robb was apologetic and doing his best to make amends. "You're paying for my sins," is a great line when you know what's coming, especially with Cat standing right there. :bawl:

Robb basically said "fuck the Riverlands" in the books too, when he decided to go North and leave the Riverlands at the mercy of Tywin.

At least he says out loud that Edmure is paying for his mistake and that it's completely unfair he has to marry a Frey because Robb broke his vow, so I wouldn't call him an hypocrite, it's not like he is acting like he never did anything wrong. I think this is the most sympathetic scene Robb has had in a long time, until now he never mentioned how he screwed up things when he married Talisa. The one who looks like an hypocrite in that scene is the Blackfish, who refused to marry and is now telling his nephew he has to.

I like book Robb more than tv Robb, yes, both basically made the same mistake marrying Jeyne/Talisa when they were supposed to marry a Frey girl, but the attitude they have is completely different. In the books we see that Robb did it to protect Jeyne's honor and he knew the consequences of that choice, and that he knew he made a mistake when he slept with Jeyne, but in the show he is just like "I love her so screw the Freys YOLO", and then he looks completely smug when he thinks he can arrange a new pact with the Freys. In both cases it was a dumb mistake, but in the books he had a better reason than in the show.

I disagree completely. Boning some chick because you're sad and then having a shotgun wedding over it is the dumbest thing in the world.

Yea that's what I said. I just pointed out the book version is more sympathetic, even if just as dumb.

I disagree completely. Boning some chick because you're sad and then having a shotgun wedding over it is the dumbest thing in the world.

But it fits with Westeros' honour culture, which Robb (like his dad) firmly believes in.

Robb deciding he wants to marry for love, which he would have no cultural expectation of, and quite deliberately breaking his vow in the process, is much less sympathetic.

But it fits with Westeros' honour culture, which Robb (like his dad) firmly believes in.

Robb deciding he wants to marry for love, which he would have no cultural expectation of, and quite deliberately breaking his vow in the process, is much less sympathetic.

I agree, especially since in the book Jeyne was a young girl, still under the protection of her parents so she would have been dishonored w/much negative consequences for her future if it was known she lost her virginity. Volantis nurse person cavorting around Westeros as an adult, with no ties to anyone, no family or connections in Westeros, not so much.

It doesnt fit in with Westerosi honor culture, because the more honorable choice would be to marry the Frey girl and respect his vows, rather than marry an enemy banner mans daughter.

It doesnt fit in with Westerosi honor culture, because the more honorable choice would be to marry the Frey girl and respect his vows, rather than marry an enemy banner mans daughter.

There is certainly a case to be made Robb misapprehended the 'more honourable' course but in the books Ser Kevan at least thought the decision was readily comprehensible in 'honour' terms. Tywin of course remarked Jeyne was her mother's daughter and Robb was his father's son. So yea, it was understood; Robb dishonoured himself rather than dishonour Jeyne. There was also his concern about the position of bastards given his experience with Jon.

Which is the "more honourable" choice is entirely a matter of opinion.

Archived