[Book Spoilers] Will Theon Learn His Name?

Nudu

They have never mentioned reek so far so do you think will they skip that thing or reveal later? I think the Reek Thing is one of the most important things for Theon's developement.

I think they will keep him being tortured this season. Write him out for a good while and introduce Reek. After a while they will start hinting at the true identity of Reek. At least I hope they do it that way. The reveal of reek in the book blew my mind when I first read it.

They have never mentioned reek so far so do you think will they skip that thing or reveal later? I think the Reek Thing is one of the most important things for Theon's developement.

\

The only way I could see it making sense is for Ramsey to have a long monologue where he describes his relationship with "Reek" and then tells Theon he's going to be the new Reek....but I don't think its that important myself, the important part is the breaking of Theon's will and identity, if they give him a different name or call him Reek but don't put in the back story of the book reek I won't have a problem with it.

Yeah... I can't see them continuing the torture plot for a whole season more. Right now they're building it gradually, from Theon being held captive to Theon being "rescued" to Theon being lured back to Theon being tortured. This season is them gradually breaking him down. Introduce the "Reek" concept at the end of the season, give the non-readers some quick glimpses here and there in the next season so they don't forget who he is, and then bring him back full force in the season after that.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't think Reek 1 will be in the series, even as a monologue by Ramsay. Instead, Reek will be a name he gives Theon. Considering how much D&D have said to love Theon's character, I don't think they will cut such a vital part of Theon's character arc.

I don't think there's gonna be a castration. It's only hinted in the books, no way they're gonna show this on tv.

I wouldn't be too sure.

Episode 7's promo has Theon on the floor, with his hand grabbing protectively around his crotch, and someone (Ramsay, probabaly) holding a knife, leaning down between Theon's legs.

I wouldn't be too sure.

Episode 7's promo has Theon on the floor, with his hand grabbing protectively around his crotch, and someone (Ramsay, probabaly) holding a knife, leaning down between Theon's legs.

After watching the promo - you may be right. Completely unnecessary though IMO, the flaying scene was hard enough for my (sissy) taste. I think it would've been better to not show Theon at all this season and just present the "result" in the next.

After watching the promo - you may be right. Completely unnecessary though IMO, the flaying scene was hard enough for my (sissy) taste. I think it would've been better to not show Theon at all this season and just present the "result" in the next.

Maybe or book readers but not for the large majority of fans who will probably forget Theon if he is gone for two seasons.

The actor needs to eat, though. Especially in TV, "show, don't tell" carries the day. I think what they're doing is the best they can do given all of the factors, both story and real-life.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't think Reek 1 will be in the series, even as a monologue by Ramsay. Instead, Reek will be a name he gives Theon. Considering how much D&D have said to love Theon's character, I don't think they will cut such a vital part of Theon's character arc.

This. And there's not really any REASON to refer back to other Reek. Theon will be smelly and deplorable, berift of his identity. That HAS to happen. No reason to make up some other name, he'll be called Reek. Lack of a previous Reek doesn't really impact that.

I think it makes sense for Theon to end the season as Theon, but begin the next one as a frail old looking man who is called Reek. Throw people off until they realize who it is (but not drag it on like they've been doing with the Ramsay reveal)

I think it makes sense for Theon to end the season as Theon, but begin the next one as a frail old looking man who is called Reek. Throw people off until they realize who it is (but not drag it on like they've been doing with the Ramsay reveal)

Agree. Events in the Riverlands and what we think we "know" about the rest of this season appear to limit us to a timetable that is too short for the radical degradation of Theon to be believable.

You really think the audience won't be able to tell who Alfie Allen is?

You really think the audience won't be able to tell who Alfie Allen is?

Sure they will, what I had in mind is a scene where he may be cloaked and walking with a limp or something, obviously frail but unidentified at first. Then they start to call him Reek, he responds etc and viewers think it's some new character only to have the hood fall off and reveal a Theon who is toothless, white-haired etc. Alfie will be recognized, but Theon will be long gone

So the 'reveal' would happen immediately, that's what I meant by not being dragged out.

Archived