Order of the Green Men

The Green men must be THE most mysterious group in the entire series. All we know is that they protect the Isle of Faces, and have done since the pact.

Will the WoIaF give us any more information about the Order?

C'mon, pleeease!

It is kind of interesting that they're just . . . there. That there's this island in the middle of the South's largest lake covered with hundreds of Weirwood trees with faces, and with a reputation for magic, riding elks, and the like - and nobody seems to really care.

Yes, the fact that no one seems the slight bit interested in what really is there speaks volumes for the lack of faith of the general westerosi population in magic and ancient legends.

Or maybe there is some sort of yet-unmentioned legend or ghost story regarding it that spooks people away. But it's definitely one of the places I'm most eager to visit in the coming novels.

It would be completely awesome if we got to see [in the books of course] the Isle of Faces through Bran via TreeNet watching Howland as if I recall correctly he ("the little crannogman") visited the Isle of Faces before the Tourney of Harrenhal.

I'm not sure how that would be useful, but it would be sweet.

There mentioned only a few times in GOT, postive there going to be a revelation in the story Mr M was still planng on being a trilogy at the time. But after stretching out story kind of wants to pretend people to forget about them write them out and be lost in time to the people of Westeros like CoTF, did throw them in KotLF story as will.

Harren the Black used weirwoods in the construction of Harrenhal. We're told that there are no weirwoods, except a few Heart Trees in south, with the exception of the Isle of Faces. He got them from somewhere...

But not from the Isle of Faces, even though Harrenhal sits right there on the shoreline of the God's Eye.

Verrrry interesting.

• 9 months later...

I think it is also important that Howland Reed went to the Isle of Faces for sometime. Most people now believe that Howland Reed is at the Neck with Robb Starks will as well as the knowledge that went on at the tower of Joy. Also many people think Howland Reed has some type of magic, be it greenseer, warg or prophetic visions. With all this if we are to learn about the Order of the Green men it will be when Howland Reed becomes more involved directly with a POV character, most likely Jon and the Northern conspiracy.

I'm very torn regarding the Green Men. On one hand, it would be very disappointing to never hear about them again, leaving the feeling that it was something George came up with on the fly and simply forgot about (like Robb's tyroshi sellsword).

On the other hand, it's actually quite cool to think that we'll finish the series, having uncovered mysteries from ages ago and from all over the world, and be left with one unresolved mystery in the very heart of Westeros.

Archived