Super Duper SoCal BWB

Guest Pah Muadd'H

So according to GRRMs website, the Huntington Beach signing is the 19th. Man- that guy is on a whirlwind tour, for sure! He has the signing, dinner with us, the convention thingy that night and the next day he is in another city for a signing at 1 pm. Poor guy.

Cuellar.... I want you to know that it is totally NOT a lack of interest on my part. I was even planning to bring pizza! I would LOVE to get out of the house for an evening. I just can't. *sigh* And the PTA board meeting on Wednesday doesn't count as "out of the house".

Anybody know if GRRM is doing anything before or after the signing the day he's in San Diego? AFAIK his 1pm signing is his only comitment that day.
Well, he asked me to have dinner with him. I dunno if that counts. :)

Given that the signing will probably take at least 4 hours, the afternoon's definitely spoken for.

Okay, I got an e-mail from aghrivaine. He says the signing is on the 19th (17th on the original message was a typo.)

So it's a Saturday and you have no excuses. Just send agh an e-mail and make your reservation. :)

Does anyone know what the convention in Anaheim is? Are there still tickets and if so how much, and what else is going on there?

I think I'm going to do the long drive to Huntington Beach... maybe I should email about the dinner <contemplating>. I fear being outgeeked since I haven't read Hedge Knight and only read the first Wild Card! ;)

Does anyone know what the convention in Anaheim is? Are there still tickets and if so how much, and what else is going on there?

I think I'm going to do the long drive to Huntington Beach... maybe I should email about the dinner <contemplating>. I fear being outgeeked since I haven't read Hedge Knight and only read the first Wild Card! ;)

Here's the Gencon - SoCal website. It's a gaming con. Should answer most of your questions on the convention, or get you to someone who can. Good luck!

As for being outgeeked, hey, at least you won't be asking questions about SoIaF that he has to dodge. :)

Are the GRMM signings usually crowded? It starts at 2:00, what do you think is a reasonable time to go?
Well, my experiences are with Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego, but it depends on if you want to sit or stand. :) Generally, an hour early is going to cut it fine if you want to sit down, but ok if you don't mind standing. Two hours if you're REALLY paranoid, need to shop a lot, or just want to talk with other fans before the signing. For a 2:00pm, I think 12:30-1:00's about right, but I'm also basing off previous years. And the crowds have grown book by book. (GoT signing--everybody got to sit, no problem. :)

Well, my experiences are with Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego, but it depends on if you want to sit or stand. :) Generally, an hour early is going to cut it fine if you want to sit down, but ok if you don't mind standing. Two hours if you're REALLY paranoid, need to shop a lot, or just want to talk with other fans before the signing. For a 2:00pm, I think 12:30-1:00's about right, but I'm also basing off previous years. And the crowds have grown book by book. (GoT signing--everybody got to sit, no problem. :)

So I should show up around 10 to get a good seat on Sunday?

I was at Mysterious Galaxy for GRRM's last signing and I think I was only 20 or so minutes early and I got a seat for his reading. I think he's much more famous now, though, so the crowd may be bigger.

I don't think I'll be able to make the Huntington Beach event, so Iseult or YW or someone please give him my regards. :/ Thanks!

I was at Mysterious Galaxy for GRRM's last signing and I think I was only 20 or so minutes early and I got a seat for his reading. I think he's much more famous now, though, so the crowd may be bigger.
Hmmmm. Perhaps I'm erring on the side of caution--I'd hate to advise someone and have them be screwed. I'm also going by the crowds that showed up for Pratchett and Gaiman in September. I showed up about an hour early for both Pratchett and Gaiman, and managed to get a seat, but I attended solo, so squeezing into that one empty seat left on the row was easy. The store was also pretty full when I showed up, so factoring in purchase-line waiting, and the difficulty finding parking, I still think 90 minutes isn't completely nuts. A little nuts, maybe, but not completely nuts. :)

Hmmmm. Perhaps I'm erring on the side of caution--I'd hate to advise someone and have them be screwed. I'm also going by the crowds that showed up for Pratchett and Gaiman in September. I showed up about an hour early for both Pratchett and Gaiman, and managed to get a seat, but I attended solo, so squeezing into that one empty seat left on the row was easy. The store was also pretty full when I showed up, so factoring in purchase-line waiting, and the difficulty finding parking, I still think 90 minutes isn't completely nuts. A little nuts, maybe, but not completely nuts. :)

Very true. Better safe than sorry!

Egg and I are meeting at Barnes and Noble at twelve o'clock to get wrist bands. I am not particularly worried about being so early. Do any of us really believe that we could be bored in a book store? C'mon! It's a BOOK STORE! I'm sure I'll find something to do...

But even a book store would be improved by hanging out with you all. So I hope I see you there!

I really wanted to make the Huntington Beach signing, I've been looking forward to it all semester (go to USC) but for some reason it was in my head that it was the second weekend of November not the third (figured this out several weeks ago). Well my ride I had counted on can't make it this weekend, and I don't fancy MTA transit from SC to Huntington beach (why the hell is he in a stupid part of LA like that, he should be somewhere convenient, like Vroman's. :)). Plus I had planned out for doing most of my pre thanksgiving end of semester projects this weekend and really can't spare the time even if it didn't involve many and more hours of transit.

Frustrating because I have all my GRRM stuff sitting on a shelf waiting to be signed, all four HCs, RRetrospective, both Legends, Hedge Knight and Shadow Twin (be nice to get it personalized).

So have fun at the signing guys, I can't make it, I'm sorry to say.

Archived