Small questions v.10005

Angalin

Like 99% of southern folk I don't think he cares at all about what happens in the North. Plus he's not THAT knowledgeable. Hell even Ned didn't bother checking up on the NW deserter's claim of the Others returning.

Plus there are no kids on the wall to do the spying for him.

The great horn blown ant the kingsmoot- is that a tool only if blown by a Targaryen lives after using & only works if blown by the rightful (?)?? Just wondering

We don't really know much about the horn at the moment.

In terms of the currency. Is the Stag a Westeros homage to the Baratheon House? Or just coincidence?

I don't think we know for sure, but the first Hand of the realm was a Baratheon, so it's quite possible.

(Stags as second highest denomination precede Robert's Rebellion, as they were used that way also in Dunk & Egg. I don't know whether it precedes Aegon's Conquest or was started when the 7 Kingdoms were forged.)

I don't think we know for sure, but the first Hand of the realm was a Baratheon, so it's quite possible.

(Stags as second highest denomination precede Robert's Rebellion, as they were used that way also in Dunk & Egg. I don't know whether it precedes Aegon's Conquest or was started when the 7 Kingdoms were forged.)

Thanks. :cheers:

In terms of the currency. Is the Stag a Westeros homage to the Baratheon House? Or just coincidence?

I believe stags predate the Iron Throne and were first minted by the Storm King. The Baratheons stole the Storm Kings sigil when they stole his kingdom.

was there somewhere, regarding warging/skinchanging, that says once you warg something just once, you bring a part of that creature back with you?

or my imagination?

Bloodraven does tell Bran, in a roundabout way, that he leaves behind a small part of himself, like an imprint, whenever he wargs something. But he doesn't mention if it's a two way deal or not.

do wights need to eat?

They feed on death and despair, oh wait that's a HP. I would assume they don't, I mean what's the worst that could happen, they can't starve to death.

I believe stags predate the Iron Throne and were first minted by the Storm King. The Baratheons stole the Storm Kings sigil when they stole his kingdom.

And there were probably golden lions, golden hands and silver direwolves in circulation too - so why keep this particular one around? It's not like the Stormlands have extensive silver or gold mines (not that we've heard of).

If the Targaryens did not get deposed, who would be ahead in the line of succession, Daenerys or Stannis?

If they had never been deposed, then Robert would never have been King. Stannis' claim derives from Robert, and so if he had not reigned then Rhaegar, and his children after him, would have been next in the line of succession. Viserys followed, any children he might have bore, and then Daenerys. But to answer your question, Daenerys or Stannis, the answer is Daenerys.

And there were probably golden lions, golden hands and silver direwolves in circulation too - so why keep this particular one around? It's not like the Stormlands have extensive silver or gold mines (not that we've heard of).

Hands are still in circulation, the Queen of Thorns pays her bills with them- as for the lion and direwolf coins, that question vexes me and causes me to lose sleep. The Storm Kings of House Durrendon's power extended over much of Westeros, reaching as far north as the Riverlands at thier height. My best guess is that stags were in such wide circulation in all seven kingdoms that they were synonymous with silver coins in the same way that dragons are with gold. Alternatively, Aegon kept them on to show respect for his bastard half-brother Orys Baratheon who had adopted the stag sigil.

Doesn't Dany have a dream that she has sex with someone made of ice or something like that?

Or am i going n-u-t-s (likely)

I can't find it anywhere.

It's in Dance, Dany sleeps next to Daario and dreads the wedding with Hizdahr.

"Beneath her coverlets she tossed an turned, dreaming that Hizdahr was kissing her... but his lips were blue and bruised, and when he thrust himself inside her, his manhood was cold as ice."

I read that as coming looming soon for Hizdahr.

Hands are still in circulation, the Queen of Thorns pays her bills with them- as for the lion and direwolf coins, that question vexes me and causes me to lose sleep. The Storm Kings of House Durrendon's power extended over much of Westeros, reaching as far north as the Riverlands at thier height. My best guess is that stags were in such wide circulation in all seven kingdoms that they were synonymous with silver coins in the same way that dragons are with gold. Alternatively, Aegon kept them on to show respect for his bastard half-brother Orys Baratheon who had adopted the stag sigil.

It had to be more than just respect IMO. Then again, maybe I'm just looking for sense where there isn't supposed to be any.

And yes, there are golden hands still around, but they are only locally used, and they are also probably rare. That brings another question though - is there a small amount of silver direwolves still circulating in the North?

ETA: Robb did start minting his own coinage during the war, IIRC. Or am I confusing him with Daemon Blackfyre?

There is a claim that Rhaegar was plotting against Aerys. The prince was going to make a move against the king at the tournament at Harrenhal. I believe this claim was made by Varys. Where in the text is the claim made?

^^^ "When the battle’s done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but ... well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken. We shall talk when I return".

Jaime, affc

If they had never been deposed, then Robert would never have been King. Stannis' claim derives from Robert, and so if he had not reigned then Rhaegar, and his children after him, would have been next in the line of succession. Viserys followed, any children he might have bore, and then Daenerys. But to answer your question, Daenerys or Stannis, the answer is Daenerys.

I disagree with this. As second cousins to Rhaegar, Viserys and Dany- Robert, Stannis and Renly would have come before Danaerys in the line of succession (and of course after the sons of Rhaegar and Viserys.) We know this because we are told that since the first Dance, the Targs have practiced a modified form of agnatic primogeniture, placing male claimants (even collateral relations) ahead of all female heirs. So I believe the correct answer is that Stannis' claim is actually ahead of Danaerys'.

Eta- To be fair- the Baratheon claim is through a female Targ, but my understanding is that Targs preferred any male to a female heir.

Archived