Small questions v.10005

Angalin

There is a claim that Rhaegar was plotting against Aerys. The prince was going to make a move against the king at the tournament at Harrenhal. I believe this claim was made by Varys. Where in the text is the claim made?

Actually I think you're looking for Barristans recollection about the Tourney of Harrenhal in ADwD, chapter 67

Old Lord Whent had announced the tourney shortly after a visit from his brother, Ser Oswell Whent of the Kingsguard. With Varys whispering in his ear, King Aerys became convinced that his son was conspiring to depose him, that Whent's tourney was a ploy to give Rhaegar a pretext for meeting with as many great lords as could be brought together.

Eta- To be fair- the Baratheon claim is through a female Targ, but my understanding is that Targs preferred any male to a female heir.

It's all mumbo-jumbo at this point, to be honest. :D

We've never had a precedent for that. IMO, since they don't carry the Targaryen name and are a Great House in their own right, a Baratheon succeeding on the Iron throne would've basically been a coup.

First post here, I have a couple questions that have been on my mind for quite a while now:

1. What was Tyrion doing just before the start of a AGOT? Was he in Kings Landing, Casterly Rock, where?

2. Neds official Story for Jons Birth was that he was Wylla's son. Can someone explain to me where Her and Ned would have met, and when? Also wouldn't that make Jon a Sand, not a Snow? Edric says she's dornish.

3. About Bastard Names, are they based off of where the mother is from, or the father? Because Mya Stone would be the mother i'd think, while Jon Snow would have to be the father.

Actually I think you're looking for Barristans recollection about the Tourney of Harrenhal in ADwD, chapter 67

Yeah, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks to both Yolkboy and Lady Gwynhyfar for responding.

First post here...

Welcome!

What was Tyrion doing just before the start of a AGOT? Was he in Kings Landing, Casterly Rock, where?

He was probably in the Westerlands, enjoying wine, whores and books, most likely in the Rock.

About Bastard Names, are they based off of where the mother is from, or the father? Because Mya Stone would be the mother i'd think, while Jon Snow would have to be the father.

I think they are most likely named according to the region they live in, rather than the regions their parents come from. This principle certainly explains Mya, Edric, Jon and even (probably) Bloodraven and Bittersteel.

...while Jon Snow would have to be the father.

Well that depends on who you think his parents are. ;)

Welcome!

He was probably in the Westerlands, enjoying wine, whores and books, most likely in the Rock.

I think they are most likely named according to the region they live in, rather than the regions their parents come from. This principle certainly explains Mya, Edric, Jon and even (probably) Bloodraven and Bittersteel.

Well that depends on who you think his parents are. ;)

Thankyou! I've lurked here for almost a year now, so nice to finally post. Also, one more question, do the bastard names apply to lowborn bastards also?

Thankyou! I've lurked here for almost a year now, so nice to finally post. Also, one more question, do the bastard names apply to lowborn bastards also?

You're welcome! :)

I don't know if the names apply to lowborn bastards. My guess would be that they do, but it's only a guess.

And yes, there are golden hands still around, but they are only locally used, and they are also probably rare. That brings another question though - is there a small amount of silver direwolves still circulating in the North?

ETA: Robb did start minting his own coinage during the war, IIRC. Or am I confusing him with Daemon Blackfyre?

I believe he did, I think there are mints throughout the 7 Kingdoms, not just one central mint-- all the Lords Paramount would have a mint in thier territory. Blackfyre probably did too.

In RL Shire Post is selling Westerosi coins- these must be authorized, so perhaps we can learn a little from them:

Lannister Silver Moon- pre-conquest

Iron Islands Copper Star and Silver "Kraken"- minted after Robert's death with Balon on them

Northern Silver Stag- pre-conquest, has Torrhen the King who kneeled

http://www.shirepost.com/wp/catepgory/coins/george-r-r-martin/

Nope, only to acknowledged noble bastards. The non-nobles either take other surnames or don't have them at all (like Gendry, who is not acknowledged, is just Gendry, not Gendry Waters or Gendry Storm).

Commoner's don't usually have last names, bastard or otherwise.

Do you think the Cleganes get an education?

Is the hound literate?

They are an important house within Lannister ranks.

What do you think?

As a House they are not important at all, Gregor was only a landed knight. He's been married a few times but I think at least one of his marriages was not even into the nobility, I think a merchant or millers daughter. Everybody knows them because they serve as household knights to the Lannisters and are distinctive by appearance and deeds.

I don't know if Sandor is literate, he could well be. The Clegane keep would not rate a maester but I don't recall if Sandor squired for a larger House at some point, if he did he would have been taught the basics of literacy.

First post here, I have a couple questions that have been on my mind for quite a while now:

1. What was Tyrion doing just before the start of a AGOT? Was he in Kings Landing, Casterly Rock, where?

2. Neds official Story for Jons Birth was that he was Wylla's son. Can someone explain to me where Her and Ned would have met, and when? Also wouldn't that make Jon a Sand, not a Snow? Edric says she's dornish.

3. About Bastard Names, are they based off of where the mother is from, or the father? Because Mya Stone would be the mother i'd think, while Jon Snow would have to be the father.

I think Ned's official story is more like "it's none of your business." Most people seem to assume it was Ashara Dayne, and in Sisterton the rumor is that it was a fisherman's daughter. There aren't any laws regarding bastard names it's just a matter of custom. (http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2999/)

It's like special torture,

No, its either adhd or pure greed. Hey martin, how about finishing one story before giving us all this extra crap? If i had been following this series since 96 id be irate - or not since id have probably moved on with my life by now rather than wait 17 years to find out who jons parents were, whether dany ever reached westeros, whether the lannisters ever got their due, and whether any of the starks ever reunite.

Maybe my children will enjoy TWOW

Archived