Small questions v.10005

Angalin

Do the inhabitants of the world of ASOIAF think their world is flat?

Well, the inhabitants of Earth knew that their world isn't flat long before reaching an equivalent level of progress. So I assume they are aware (or at least the sailors, maesters and well read lords are). They do put crow's nests on their ships, so at the very least, they grasp the practical implications.

I am confused about the timeline of the novel. Jeoff Dies on the first day of 300 AL. the wiki says that Kevan lannister also dies in 300AL. Death of Kevan was the very last event of aDwD. So only a year has passed through this whole time, i.e. almost 2 1/3 of the books?

Do you think the Cleganes get an education?

Is the hound literate?

They are an important house within Lannister ranks.

What do you think?

The Hound could read the promissary note the BwB gave him, so yes to both.

I'm sure we were told of a legend/ myth(s) that there were 'things' actually in the wall (dragons???)

can someone remind me?

I remember reading something along those lines. I think it was in Melisandre's POV (or probably Samwell)

Sorry if this has already been asked, the forum search function wasn't working...

Lord Jeor Mormont and his too-clever crow - I believe the books say nothing about it, but the Old Bear is a warg, right? If this isn't the case, I think it should be the case - but I suppose we can't get into a discussion about it in this thread.

There are the deserters that are buried in the Wall, the 79 Sentinels. ASoS Chpt. 56, Bran IV

Ah thanks... but i was sure there was rumour of maybe dragons eggs in the wall too?

Anyone know?

Well, the inhabitants of Earth knew that their world isn't flat long before reaching an equivalent level of progress. So I assume they are aware (or at least the sailors, maesters and well read lords are). They do put crow's nests on their ships, so at the very least, they grasp the practical implications.

It seems like only one person the series has ever tried to cross the Sunset Sea - Brandon the Shipwright. I guess a long sea journey is treacherous enough when you know where you are going.

Lord Jeor Mormont and his too-clever crow - I believe the books say nothing about it, but the Old Bear is a warg, right? If this isn't the case, I think it should be the case - but I suppose we can't get into a discussion about it in this thread.

There is no textual evidence either way, but the general consensus seems to be that Mormonts Raven is being warged by Bloodraven.

It seems like only one person the series has ever tried to cross the Sunset Sea - Brandon the Shipwright. I guess a long sea journey is treacherous enough when you know where you are going.

Euron Greyjoy might have crossed it as well, though I tend to take his claims with a grain of salt.

Do the inhabitants of the world of ASOIAF think their world is flat?

Historically, in real world terms, no one really believed that the earth was flat even in ancient classical times, medieval times or renaissance times. So this point is moot.

I am confused about the timeline of the novel. Jeoff Dies on the first day of 300 AL. the wiki says that Kevan lannister also dies in 300AL. Death of Kevan was the very last event of aDwD. So only a year has passed through this whole time, i.e. almost 2 1/3 of the books?

That is correct. Don't forget that the events of AFfC and ADwD happen simultaneously for the most part.

Sorry if this has already been asked, the forum search function wasn't working...

The most popular belief is that the raven is being warged by Bloodraven. There was a thread on this quite recently, funnily enough. Welcome. :cheers:

Ah, thank you repliers - I must conceed that makes more sense, of course. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that... I'll forgoe making up some excuse for my evident flat-headedness.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, too, I'm looking forward to getting my bearings here.

Historically, in real world terms, no one really believed that the earth was flat even in ancient classical times, medieval times or renaissance times. So this point is moot.

Don't know if we can speak to what all or even most people believed about this throughout history and the world, but fun fact: the Ancient Greek mathematician Aristarchus proved the earth was round with some relatively simple geometry. Got that one from Carl Sagan.

Don't know if we can speak to what all or even most people believed about this throughout history and the world, but fun fact: the Ancient Greek mathematician Aristarchus proved the earth was round with some relatively simple geometry. Got that one from Carl Sagan.

I got the medieval/renaissance info i mentioned from QI.

Google the Flat Earth Society

At some point Sam wonders whether Queen Alysanne might've left a dragon egg at the Wall during her visit there.

And at one point Bloodraven has one as well, but we don't know if he kept it or turned it over to the Crown. Aemon also had one.

Archived