Small questions v.10005

Angalin

Did Dolorous Edd nominate Jon for Lord Commander knowing what Sam was planning/in collusion with Sam? Or did he nominate him because he wanted to, and it just happened to fit in with Sam's plans and save him from having to nominate Jon himself?

Yes thats it, great. I don't know of anyone else that died from the mist that was mentioned, i might be wrong.

Thanks TDW.

I think the mists that Tormund is referring to are the White Walkers/Others.

I think the mists that Tormund is referring to are the White Walkers/Others.

so you dont think the Others have an 'actual' cold mist around them? Tormund seems to refer to it, and its always colder when we see an other. Varamys hand is so cold when 100 others are coming his hand feezes to the floor.

To me, the most plausible explanation seems to be that Torwynd died from the cold that's brought with the Others and the mists are a symptom of that cold: If the air cools down, the amount of water vapor it can contain decreases, so the humidity in it will naturally condense into mist.

Tormund seems to suggest that the Others went near their camps, that would cause the drop in temperature and their proximity would explain why Torwynd rose as a wight in the same night. Tormund mentions that Torwynd died because he was always sickly, that fits in with "not cold resistant enough".

To me, the most plausible explanation seems to be that Torwynd died from the cold that's brought with the Others and the mists are a symptom of that cold: If the air cools down, the amount of water vapor it can contain decreases, so the humidity in it will naturally condense into mist.

Tormund seems to suggest that the Others went near their camps, that would cause the drop in temperature and their proximity would explain why Torwynd rose as a wight in the same night. Tormund mentions that Torwynd died because he was always sickly, that fits in with "not cold resistant enough".

Thanks TDW, thats exactly what i thought. It seems people consider it a metaphor or something. I say no, the others have an actual mist around them. It makes perfect sense to me.

so you dont think the Others have an 'actual' cold mist around them? Tormund seems to refer to it, and its always colder when we see an other. Varamys hand is so cold when 100 others are coming his hand feezes to the floor.

The phenomenon of the Others includes the cold mist.

Thanks TDW, thats exactly what i thought. It seems people consider it a metaphor or something. I say no, the others have an actual mist around them. It makes perfect sense to me.

As Dornishman said, Tormund's son died of cold, here is the quote from aDwD;

You know nothing. You killed a dead man, aye, I heard. Mance killed a hundred. A man can fight the dead, but when their masters come, when the white mists rise up ... how do you fight a mist, crow? Shadows with teeth ... air so cold it hurts to breathe, like a knife inside your chest ... you do not know, you cannot know ... can your sword cut cold?

Does the red god require people to be burned alive or is that something only melisandre or other fanatics of that religion do? I don't remember thoros burning people.

As you said, Thoros didn't make the BWB burn the people they executed. Mel burns, but Mel's level of orthodoxy is debatable.

When Moqorro has Victarion's maester killed for good winds, it was apparently enough to cut his throat and throw him into the sea. Victarion drown-burns people, but it doesn't seem to have been prompted by Moqorro.

The only real indication besides Mel that burning someone might be special to the Red God is that Jaqen refers to the men saved from burning as stolen from him. When he returns the debt, he doesn't care about burning, but of course, as FM Jaqen believes that all gods are the same anyways, so there's no particular reason to send the debt repayments to exactly the same aspect of that god that had been cheated. This is pretty weak however: He might have spoken poetically and even if burned people are considered special that doesn't mean that burning is a good way of sacrificing.

In total: I don't think so, but I wouldn't put anything past the red priests.

Archived