Small questions v.10005

Angalin

What's the 'spikes' on a dragon called, that go down the spine?

If they are anything like animals, then it depends on what they are made from. But they are probably called spines. :P

Why are Brienne and Selwyn called 'of Tarth' when other high born people have a surname as well as a location? Eg Tywin is not Tywin of Casterly Rock and I think the Lords of other islands like the shield Islands have names like Lord Hewett of Oakenshield.

Wondering because of Brienne's intriguing heritage - if she is a descendent of Dunk.

Is there a nonanti-targ forum anywhere?

This isn't an anti-targ forum.

What is the story with the "original" sword ice

The only thing we know is that the name is older than the blade. I think it was probably the traditional sword of the Kings of Winter. I also have a couple of ideas as to the material it was made of, but they are nothing more than conjectures at this point.

This is no simple question. In short, Varys wanted to build enmity between the two, most likely because he is a Blackfyre and has spent a great deal of his life working towards the destruction of the Targaryens.

what? that doesn´t make any sense .... why should Varys help Viserys and Daenerys if he is a Blackfyre? And why did he help a knight like Barristan, who killed the last known Blackfyre, to help the "last" Targaryen??

what? that doesn´t make any sense .... why should Varys help Viserys and Daenerys if he is a Blackfyre? And why did he help a knight like Barristan, who killed the last known Blackfyre, to help the "last" Targaryen??

If Varys is a Blackfyre loyalist (actually even if he isn't), then he needed Daenerys and Viserys alive but somewhat bedraggled as a smokescreen to draw any attention away from his actual candidate (Aegon). Dany of course had the extra bonus that she could be married to Aegon to remove any doubts to his authenticity (and later of course: to give him three dragons).

hm... never locked at it that way...but why didn´t he hold Daenerys close to Illyrio for the marriage with Aegon, while he messed up Westeros...and after the Targ-Hater Robert died i don´t see anybody in Westeros who paid attention to Daenerys...sending her so far away from Westeros only draw´s the attention away from daenerys herself...

if they married her to Drogo for the army they helped her and if they send her away to die ,the marriage to Aegon makes no sense...

This thread seems like the best place to ask this so I'll go ahead.

Does anyone else find this quote from Ol' Granny Tyrell a tad weird/suspicious. Or am I just being paranoid and reading waaay too much into it, (which would be quite likely).

"Sansa" Lady Alerie broke in, "you must be very hungry. Shall we have a bite of boar together, and some lemon cakes?"

"Lemon cakes are my favorite," Sansa admitted.

"So we have been told," declared Lady Olenna, who obviously had no intention of being hushed. "That Varys creature seemed to think we should be grateful for that information.

I mean, why would Varys think that telling the QOT that Sansa loves lemon cakes is important? What does he expect them to do with this info exactly? Surely he's not suggesting a bit of shady activity against the poor red-head?

I probably am reading too much into it, 'cos I can't really see a reason why Varys or the Tyrells would want Sansa offed. It's just something that I've been wondering about for a while.

I think in some way Varys wanted to lead the QOT to Sansa to ask her about Joffrey... Maybe he did not think that they would kill Joffrey, but i think he wanted her to break the alligance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells.

But maybe the QOT was only a new unknown player in the game of Thrones for him so he did what he ever does, tell them something so that they think you are helping them, even if you don´t. I would bet he knows exactly that the QOT is the person with the power in House Tyrell...

hm... never locked at it that way...but why didn´t he hold Daenerys close to Illyrio for the marriage with Aegon, while he messed up Westeros?

Because Viserys was supposed to draw attention away from Aegon, and Dany at that time was just a pawn - a girl, whose hand in marriage gave her brother an army.

I think in some way Varys wanted to lead the QOT to Sansa to ask her about Joffrey... Maybe he did not think that they would kill Joffrey, but i think he wanted her to break the alligance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells.

But maybe the QOT was only a new unknown player in the game of Thrones for him so he did what he ever does, tell them something so that they think you are helping them, even if you don´t. I would bet he knows exactly that the QOT is the person with the power in House Tyrell...

That seems likely. Although with Varys, we never know. Damn his mysterious motives.

Yeah but this mysterious motives make him such a brilliant person in the story. You can never tell what´s his next move, so i like him!

And next question: Is there a hint about Podrick Payne? Did he die? Or was he cut down the rope?

And next question: Is there a hint about Podrick Payne? Did he die? Or was he cut down the rope?

We don't know for sure, but it's likely that he survived:

Brienne was cut down, so it makes sense that they'd cut him down too (he was hanged because he was with her and she wouldn't agree to kill Jaime). Of course, cutting him down doesn't guarantee survival (might have been too late), but Brienne's motivation to comply was that she wanted to save him - if he had died, she would have no reason to comply anymore. From her mini-appearance in Dance, it seems like she did comply (or at least, took great pains to give that appearance).

While it's not sure by any means, I'm cautiously optimistic as regards to Podrick.

We don't know for sure, but it's likely that he survived:

Brienne was cut down, so it makes sense that they'd cut him down too (he was hanged because he was with her and she wouldn't agree to kill Jaime). Of course, cutting him down doesn't guarantee survival (might have been too late), but Brienne's motivation to comply was that she wanted to save him - if he had died, she would have no reason to comply anymore. From her mini-appearance in Dance, it seems like she did comply (or at least, took great pains to give that appearance).

While it's not sure by any means, I'm cautiously optimistic as regards to Podrick.

And in that line of thought, if he is alive, he's probably held as hostage, since he isn't with Brienne when she goes to Jaime.

Why are Brienne and Selwyn called 'of Tarth' when other high born people have a surname as well as a location? Eg Tywin is not Tywin of Casterly Rock and I think the Lords of other islands like the shield Islands have names like Lord Hewett of Oakenshield.

Wondering because of Brienne's intriguing heritage - if she is a descendent of Dunk.

I think it's a matter of how well known they are. Lord Tywin, Lord Stark those are names people know, but lesser lords would probably need to emphasize.

Crazy question but I was just wondering why Ned didn't name any of his daughters Lyanna or something close to that? Robb is obviously for Robert and Jon was for Lord Arryn. Bran would be for his brother Brandon and Rickon for his father Rickard. But Arya and Sansa?

Was Arya or Sansa the name of Eddard's mother? Or did Catelyn simply pick the name for the girls?

This thread seems like the best place to ask this so I'll go ahead.

Does anyone else find this quote from Ol' Granny Tyrell a tad weird/suspicious. Or am I just being paranoid and reading waaay too much into it, (which would be quite likely).

I mean, why would Varys think that telling the QOT that Sansa loves lemon cakes is important? What does he expect them to do with this info exactly? Surely he's not suggesting a bit of shady activity against the poor red-head?

I probably am reading too much into it, 'cos I can't really see a reason why Varys or the Tyrells would want Sansa offed. It's just something that I've been wondering about for a while.

He told Tyrion once that he had to buy his life anew each day with his little tidbits of information. He ingratiated himself with Ned. He, curiously, never seemed to try to ingratiate himself with Sansa. So, I'd say he goes for players who have power which he can utilize - to help them or to ultimately pull the rug out from under them as circumstances develop.

Crazy question but I was just wondering why Ned didn't name any of his daughters Lyanna or something close to that? Robb is obviously for Robert and Jon was for Lord Arryn. Bran would be for his brother Brandon and Rickon for his father Rickard. But Arya and Sansa?

Was Arya or Sansa the name of Eddard's mother? Or did Catelyn simply pick the name for the girls?

I read on one of these boards, I think, speculation that Arya was for Arryn. I hadn't thought of it until I saw that; but I think it is a good call. Sansa was always a mystery, though. Maybe it has something to do with Lord Rickard's unnamed wife?

Archived