Small questions v.10005

Angalin

In Feast, in the chapter with Aemon's funeral, Sam remembers him talking about death:

Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children?

Is "Dareon" a typo? I have the HarperVoyager 2011 paperback edition.

ETA:

Another question. In the same chapter, Gilly suggests naming Dalla's boy Aemon and Sam thinks:

The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson after all.

That has to be an inconsistency, right? Otherwise it would mean that Dalla and Val are Craster's daughters.

In Feast, in the chapter with Aemon's funeral, Sam remembers him talking about death:

ETA:

Another question. In the same chapter, Gilly suggests naming Dalla's boy Aemon and Sam thinks:

That has to be an inconsistency, right? Otherwise it would mean that Dalla and Val are Craster's daughters.

My nook version says the same. Weird, especially since Dareon is all over that part of the story and is only recently disappeared.

As for Dalla's boy, that's another inconsistency. Maybe Sam has come to believe their deception? Or is it foreshadowing? Or maybe GRRM was just tired when he wrote that chapter?

My nook version says the same. Weird, especially since Dareon is all over that part of the story and is only recently disappeared.

Someone should check how his name is spelled in "The Hedge Knight", although I think it's most likely a typo.

I've tried googling this so don't flame me if this is obvious but...

Why do they keep Varys and Littlefinger around in the small council? They weren't particularly helpful to the Mad King or Robert Baratheon.

Littlefinger only was on the small council years after the end of the Robellion, never for Aerys. He was good at cooking the books, and Robert did not like "counting coppers."

Varys is another story. He fed Jon Arryn and Robert choice pieces of information and kept himself valuable. (There was a thread on this the other day, I will look for it.)

ETA: Here is the thread:

I imagine so. I would guess he is talking about his brother Daeron, since he mentions his brother Egg and his sisters.

Littlefinger only was on the small council years after the end of the Robellion, never for Aerys. He was good at cooking the books, and Robert did not like "counting coppers."

Varys is another story. He fed Jon Arryn and Robert choice pieces of information and kept himself valuable. (There was a thread on this the other day, I will look for it.)

ETA: Here is the thread: http://asoiaf.wester...bets-rebellion/

Great! Thanks so much

How close to you have to be to be termed a kinslayer for killing someone?

For example no one calle King Bob a kinslayer for killing his cousin the crown prince but Lord Karstark tells the young wolf that he will be a kinslayer because of some distant family ties

For example no one calle King Bob a kinslayer for killing his cousin the crown prince but Lord Karstark tells the young wolf that he will be a kinslayer because of some distant family ties

There's no hard limit. Whether you label someone kinslayer mainly depends on whether you want to insult him or not.

Karstark claimed Robb would be a kinslayer if he executed him, even though the kinship was extremely distant, but obviously he was grasping at straws. Robert killed his cousin, but he is the king and we don't see many people interested in damaging his PR (with the exception of Vis & Dany, but they wouldn't want to highlight the kinship), so noone calls him kinslayer.

It's also unclear what exactly you have to do (kill them yourself in cold blood? in hot blood? accidentally? have them killed? stand in the same room while someone else kills them?). In short: It's the perfect propaganda term.

It's also unclear what exactly you have to do (kill them yourself in cold blood? in hot blood? accidentally? have them killed? stand in the same room while someone else kills them?). In short: It's the perfect propaganda term.

Explained quite well there. :)

Also, I think that there is a blind eye turned to acts in the field of battle. Rhaegar and Robert were fighting with armies at their backs when they clashed. Stannis killed Renly in his tent, which was seen as a bit more cowardly (although most attribute the death to Brienne). Tyrion's murder of Tywin was while he was extremely vulnerable on a privy.

I've seen a few posters refer to Victarion as stupid. While he's no Mensa, candidate, he can't be completely incompetent to be such an effective commander, no? Is it that he goes along with the Crow's Eye after he's crowned and goes out to reave and collect Dany without any kind of question? Maybe I'm missing something from the books, but I don't see him being that much dumber than any of the other warrior characters. Can someone enlighten me?

SSM says he is dumb as a rock or something like that. He is more of a concrete thinker. No imagination.

ETA:

The boy was Dalla's son and Craster's grandson = to me that meant the boy was Dalla's bio son and Gilly's foster son.

This might be a bigger thread or addressed elsewhere but Search isnt working and I keep forgetting to ask.

In the House of the Undying (I think that's where - some prophecy that has been reliable) talks about the waking of the Stone Dragon. I wonder if this happens? I see two candidates, the stone dragons in Dragonstone (but Mel is so bad at reading the signs this could easily be wrong) and Nagga. However there might be another. Since all the other prophecies in this source are coming true, I wonder if that one will.

Archived