Small questions v.10005

Angalin

Also, I think that there is a blind eye turned to acts in the field of battle. Rhaegar and Robert were fighting with armies at their backs when they clashed. Stannis killed Renly in his tent, which was seen as a bit more cowardly (although most attribute the death to Brienne). Tyrion's murder of Tywin was while he was extremely vulnerable on a privy.

It is a PR act, IMO. Maekar was rarely (if ever) called a kinslayer, even though he was sure that he was the one who delivered the blow that killed Baelor Breakspear during the trial of Seven.

Then there is Bloodraven, who in the middle of a heated battle gained a highground, and along with his group of archers rained arrows down on Daemon and his two sons, killing them. IMO, under the circumstances, there is no way to say for sure if it was his arrows that slew the three Blackfyres, and yet he was labeled kinslayer.

This might be a bigger thread or addressed elsewhere but Search isnt working and I keep forgetting to ask.

In the House of the Undying (I think that's where - some prophecy that has been reliable) talks about the waking of the Stone Dragon. I wonder if this happens? I see two candidates, the stone dragons in Dragonstone (but Mel is so bad at reading the signs this could easily be wrong) and Nagga. However there might be another. Since all the other prophecies in this source are coming true, I wonder if that one will.

There's people that believe the following:

- Whenever a 'dragon' is mentioned in a prophecy, it doesn't refer to the beast, but to a Targaryen (Summerhall is thought to have burned down because Egg was trying to hatch dragons, but the only dragon that was born that day was Rhaegar. In D&E, Daeron dreams of a huge dead dragon lying on top of Dunk, but it turned out to be a Targaryen in the end.)

- Jon keeps on having dreams of the Stark crypts, of something being down there that frightens him. Now, the crypts are made of stone, and if there's something down there that could point out his identity as a hidden Targ, then you have your 'waking dragons out of stone'. He'll know who he is. Or at least where he comes from.

Someone told me that there was an SSM, where George says that the most misunderstood character is Melisandre. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks.

Here's a link to the interview (full video). It's at the Hollywood premier for GoT S3.

At ca 3:40, in answer to Q: "Who do you think is the most misunderstood character?", he answers

GRRM: "The most misunderstood character? Oh boy, I don't know... maybe Melisandre? I don't know. Most of the view point characters... - maybe Varys? - ... most of the viewpoint characters are fairly well understood, they take you inside their heads. Some of the characters you only see from outside you may not have a good sense of, because, you know, we don't know what's inside someone's mind and heart unless we open that door."

Is arienne martell the last legitimate martell or does she have any cousins that are not listed in awoiaf?

She's got a little brother, Trystane.

And if Aegon is legit, then he's her cousin. Other cousins to inherit Dorne aren't around: Doran had 4 siblings, 2 of them died as kids, 1 is Oberyn (and he never married), and the last one is Elia, and of her two children, Rhaenys is dead for sure and Aegon is probably dead.

There could be Martell heirs whose branches begin further up the tree, but if they exist then afaik we don't know of them. Well, except that Myriah Martell married Daeron II I don't know how many generations up, so somewhere somewhen there's Jon (assuming R+L married) and definitely Dany, Stannis and Shireen.

I believe the exact location of Manfrey Martell on the tree isn't made explicit (or if it has I don't remember), but he's probably in there somewhere after Trystane and before Jon (probably way before him).

Here's a link to the interview (full video). It's at the Hollywood premier for GoT S3.

At ca 3:40, in answer to Q: "Who do you think is the most misunderstood character?", he answers

GRRM: "The most misunderstood character? Oh boy, I don't know... maybe Melisandre? I don't know. Most of the view point characters... - maybe Varys? - ... most of the viewpoint characters are fairly well understood, they take you inside their heads. Some of the characters you only see from outside you may not have a good sense of, because, you know, we don't know what's inside someone's mind and heart unless we open that door."

Thanks so much. Taking it just a bit of the small questions area: we do have a Melisandre POV. Only one though. Do you think that what George said maybe means that what we know from her POV might be somewhat false or deceiving? Just like Ned never thinks about R+L in his, some of the sort? George has also said that Mel has her own agenda...

Is arienne martell the last legitimate martell or does she have any cousins that are not listed in awoiaf?

There are also the Sand snakes - Oberyn's daughters. They are all bastard born, of course, but if push comes to shove, and Doran's line comes to an end, they can be legitimized. It would have to be done by a king though, so it all depends on who sits the Iron Throne at the moment (and whether Dorne is still a part of the Kingdoms).

When someone Wargs what happens to their body? Is it just kind of zombiefied?

I think there's a passage of Bran skinchanging into Hodor in which he mentions seeing his his body just laying there, inert. Don't remember if it's from the Queenscrown or the cave entrance incident, I'll check later when I'm home.

EDIT: "Summer was snarling and snapping as he danced around the closest, a great ruin of a man wreathed in swirling flame. He shouldn't get so close, what is he doing? Then he saw himself, sprawled facedown in the snow."

- Dance with Dragons, one of Bran's chapters (page 190 of the paperback edition)

In one of Arya's chapters in Feast, she thinks about a certain brothel in Braavos:

Her girls were nice as well; Blushing Bethany and the Sailor’s Wife, one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood, pretty little Lanna…

…Yna was there too, braiding Lanna’s fine long golden hair…She was the youngest of the whores, only ten-and-four.

I've seen it mentioned that the Lanna in question might be Tyrion's daughter, but it doesn't add up, because he would've been 10 when she was born.

Is it possible that she is instead Gerion's daughter?

I've seen it mentioned that the Lanna in question might be Tyrion's daughter, but it doesn't add up, because he would've been 10 when she was born.

I don't think so. Wiki article for Gerion Lannister (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Gerion_Lannister) mentions he went sailing cca 292 AL, which is 6-7 years before the beginning of the AGOT plot. As you just mentioned, Lanna is 14.

In one of Arya's chapters in Feast, she thinks about a certain brothel in Braavos:

If she is a Lannister, that would make more sense.

Edit - Previous post clears it up.

She's got a little brother, Trystane. If Aegon's legitimate, then he's related too. Also, if needs be, the Sand Snakes could be legitimised as Dorne doesn't seem to resent them for their bastard blood, and they are Oberyn's children.

Dany, Stannis and Shireen all bear Martell blood.

Also, Manfrey Martell is a relative, although where exactly he is on the tree I do not know.

Thanks so much. Taking it just a bit of the small questions area: we do have a Melisandre POV. Only one though. Do you think that what George said maybe means that what we know from her POV might be somewhat false or deceiving? Just like Ned never thinks about R+L in his, some of the sort? George has also said that Mel has her own agenda...

Yes, that might explain it. After all, even though we had a look into her mind, there are still theories floating around questioning whether she's alive or dead or at least terribly old or whatever.... we still don't know her exact reasons for picking Stannis, what she knows about the War of Dawn, her relationship with orthodoxy and the rest of the Red Faith etc.

BTW, I think it's possible that when GRRM answered this question, he was thinking mainly of POV chars, cause as soon as he comes to talk about POV vs non-POV, he brings up a different name (Varys). And of course: Of the POV chars, I think it's no contest that Mel is the one we know and understand least about.

Archived