Small questions v.10005

Angalin

Thanks, FL. Here's another one: were Valrians human, or just humanoid, like elves or something? Of course Targarion history shows they can breed with regular people, but even so I wonder, given their eye colour and the unusually low rate at which their inbreeding produces abnormalities.

When the King's party all arrive at Winterfell why isn't Jaime dressed as a KingsGuard?

This has been discussed in the the Jon Snow Reread Project among other places. Most people find some kind of foreshadowing or symbolism in Jaime's donning of Targaryen colors, and Jon Snow's observation of it ("what a king should look like")

Thanks, FL. Here's another one: were Valrians human, or just humanoid, like elves or something? Of course Targarion history shows they can breed with regular people, but even so I wonder, given their eye colour and the unusually low rate at which their inbreeding produces abnormalities.

You're welcome :)

They were absolutely human. They were shepherds before they discovered dragons and ways to tame them. They had some kind of magic proficiency, but so do Thoros with the fire kiss and the Stark kids with their warging, but they are 100% human.

^ Thanks again! Reading that Bolton thread you linked me, I want to ask did the Targs have purple eyes before they tamed dragons, or after? This is in connection with the whole fire/ice magic-changes-you thing... And did all Valyrians have purple eyes, or just the Targs?

I wouldn'be so sure about them, actually, They might have a few drops of COTF blood in them.

That's going into heresy territory a bit. You might be right, but they had predecessors who were not wargs. What I meant was that having magic in the ASOIAF universe doesn't mean an "inhumane" connection.

This has been discussed in the the Jon Snow Reread Project among other places. Most people find some kind of foreshadowing or symbolism in Jaime's donning of Targaryen colors, and Jon Snow's observation of it ("what a king should look like")

Ah, I will take a look at that. Thanks.

Why do some threads get locked?

Dany says 'a prince tides inside me'. (when she is at Vaes Dorthrak)

What does tide mean in this context?

I believe the quote is actually "a prince rides" which is derived from the "stallion who mounts the world" When Dany completes the horse heart eating ritual, the crones at Vaes Dothrak proclaim that the stallion "rides" in her womb.

I believe the quote is actually "a prince rides" which is derived from the "stallion who mounts the world" When Dany completes the horse heart eating ritual, the crones at Vaes Dothrak proclaim that the stallion "rides" in her womb.

in my pdf. it says Tides. I thought it was a typo, but it appears 3 times.

A prince tides inside me! She had practiced the phrase for days with her handmaid Jhiqui.

The oldest of the crones, a bent and shriveled stick of a woman with a single black eye, raised her arms on high. “Khalakka dothrae!” she shrieked. The prince is tiding!

“He is tiding!”

in my pdf. it says Tides. I thought it was a typo, but it appears 3 times.

A prince tides inside me! She had practiced the phrase for days with her handmaid Jhiqui.

The oldest of the crones, a bent and shriveled stick of a woman with a single black eye, raised her arms on high. “Khalakka dothrae!” she shrieked. The prince is tiding!

“He is tiding!”

Your pdf is likely wrong, rides and riding are what is my paper copy and kindle copy.

Has anyone ever done a real deep search into the motif of Jon's burned hand? It seems every other paragraph in a Jon chapter mentions him flexing his hand. Jon first burns his hand in 298 AL and by 300 AL he's still repeating the action. I understand that with serious injuries constant physical therapy is necessary to maintain proper use; my freshman year of high school I ruptured my Achilles tendon in wrestling practice and it still pains me years later.

However Jon's not the only character to suffer a big traumatic injury; Tyrion hurts his elbow (Or was it his shoulder?) at The Battle of the Green Fork, Robb is injured storming The Crag, Davos had his fingers chopped off. They may make a mention to it now and then but it isn't a pretty significant part of their character, unlike Jon's hand.

Is this simply because GRRM is trying to make Jon more "human", giving him a nervous tick comparable to cracking your knuckles or bouncing your foot?

I have tried to search and see if a maimed or burned hand is a motif used a lot in early literature and this is simply an allusion to that but I've come up empty.

So does anyone know of any threads/links to othersites/YouTube videos/or examples of this motif in other works?

ETA: Spelling

What do you say when you read Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun??? I read it as one leg wonder

I pronounce each syllable separately. Sorry if this is incredibly close-minded and/or racist but I imagine it to how a lot of Asiatic languages sound. Rather than all the letters kinda flowing together to make new sounds its all just separate sounds that are combined to make words. So I just read it exactly how it looks and sounds:

Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun

Has anyone ever done a real deep search into the motif of Jon's burned hand? It seems every other paragraph in a Jon chapter mentions him flexing his hand. Jon first burns his hand in 298 AL and by 300 AL he's still repeating the action. I understand that with serious injuries constant physical therapy is necessary to maintain proper use; my freshman year of high school I ruptured my Achilles tendon in wrestling practice and it still pains me years later.

However Jon's not the only character to suffer a big traumatic injury; Tyrion hurts his elbow (Or was it his shoulder?) at The Battle of the Green Fork, Robb is injured storming The Crag, Davos had his fingers chopped off. They may make a mention to it now and then but it isn't a pretty significant part of their character, unlike Jon's hand.

Is this simply because GRRM is trying to make Jon more "human", giving him a nervous tick comparable to cracking your knuckles or bouncing your foot?

I have tried to search and see if a maimed or burned hand is a motif used a lot in early literature and this is simply an allusion to that but I've come up empty.

So does anyone know of any threads/links to othersites/YouTube videos/or examples of this motif in other works?

ETA: Spelling

A burn is a lot different than any other injury because the scarring would make the skin draw tight, hence the flexing. Now we use skin grafting but in this setting he would have had to constantly flex and stretch the skin as it was healing. Most likely it has just become habit since it healed. Also Tyrion had his nose cut off and it gets mentioned quite a bit. Davos fingers stick out in my mind more than any of them because he seems to think on it every chapter at some point. When someone mentions Stannis rigid nature.

Archived