Small questions v.10005

Angalin

In the Mystery Knight, why does Bloodraven call Egg cousin? Wouldn't Bloodraven technically be Egg's great uncle?

Cousin is also used to refer to just any kind of kinship that's more complicated than one person being the direct descendant of the other. The specific meaning of sharing exactly two grandparents can then be called first cousins.

But yes, strictly speaking, Bloodraven is Egg's half-great uncle (great half-uncle? whatever).

(Full disclosure: This answer is self-plagiarized from this thread.)

Did the Theon bonus chapter from WoW get scrapped or is the Dornish chapter just an extra bonus chapter? And if it didn't get scrapped could someone give me a link to the Theon one?

When GRRM puts up a new chapter he deletes the old one, if he's sharing on his website. So the Theon one has been taken down in favor of an Arianne chapter.

Did the Theon bonus chapter from WoW get scrapped or is the Dornish chapter just an extra bonus chapter? And if it didn't get scrapped could someone give me a link to the Theon one?

As Lady M noted above, the chapters are removed as a new one is released. There are several links to the chapter where people have copy/pasted. The first one to come up on google is this one. There are also links out there where people have collected all of the spoiler chapters, even the summaries of the ones GRRM has read at events.

I've asked this before but have never been given an answer: Is there any information as to what happened to the bodies of Elia Martell and her children? Were her children cremated because they were Targaryens? What about the bones of Elia?

I've asked this before but have never been given an answer: Is there any information as to what happened to the bodies of Elia Martell and her children? Were her children cremated because they were Targaryens? What about the bones of Elia?

Can't recall if Elia's bones are mentioned. Prince Lewyn's bones are mentioned to be returned to Dorne by Jon Arryn. With wedding practices what they are, taking the woman into the family, maybe she is in the Targ crypts.

I am curious, in what way could it be important?

Can't recall if Elia's bones are mentioned. Prince Lewyn's bones are mentioned to be returned to Dorne by Jon Arryn. With wedding practices what they are, taking the woman into the family, maybe she is in the Targ crypts.

I am curious, in what way could it be important?

I'm simply curious because the bones of Lewyn Martell are mentioned but it's never noted what happened to the other bodies.

Does somebody have an idea, why Varys told Aerys that Rhaegar tries to remove him as king?

Is it true that Rhaegar wanted to remove his father as king? Did he realize his father was mad as king?

And did Varys know that Rhaegar was in love with Lyanna and wanted to kidnap her?

Does somebody have an idea, why Varys told Aerys that Rhaegar tries to remove him as king?

Is it true that Rhaegar wanted to remove his father as king? Did he realize his father was mad as king?

And did Varys know that Rhaegar was in love with Lyanna and wanted to kidnap her?

This is no simple question. In short, Varys wanted to build enmity between the two, most likely because he is a Blackfyre and has spent a great deal of his life working towards the destruction of the Targaryens.

The best indication we have are Rhaegar's parting words before he left for the Trident: "When this battle’s done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but. well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken. We shall talk when I return."

Not a sure thing of course, but it seems probable that Rhaegar wanted to contain Aerys in some way.

was Winterfell built before the long night?

According to the wiki:

Founding of the Wall: With the Others defeated, Bran the Builder, with the aid of the giants, the First Men, and perhaps the Children of the Forest, raise up the Wall: a monumental fortification of ice and ancient magic, to shelter the realms of men from the menaces of the north. The Sworn Brotherhood of the Night's Watch is formed to man and guard it.

It's said that Bran the Builder built Winterfell and became the first King in the North.

The text seems to imply that Winterfell was built after the Wall, which was definitely constructed after the Long Night.

ETA: Here's the link to the timeline:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Timeline_of_major_events

^^^

"It's said that Bran the Builder built Winterfell and became the first King in the North."

Hmmm. But there seems to be uncertainty, wouldn't you agree?

Was the first King in the North after the long night do we know?

It's all so vague in this era.

^^^

"It's said that Bran the Builder built Winterfell and became the first King in the North."

It's ancient history - it's supposed to be vague. :D

I just provided you with the information on hand and my take on it. I might be wrong, but to me it sounds like Winterfell was build after the Wall.

Also, the wiki says that "night seems to last for a generation". So, I would guess that Bran was born during (or maybe even after) the Long Night, which further suggests that Winterfell was built after it.

^^^

And they kept no records, just the weirnet.

If a baby is born and given a name after a few hours that is his first name day correct? Just like the Chinese practice... With with wildlings Gilly insisted to Jon to name the baby 3 years after birth. So Gilly's baby's 1st name day would really be his 3rd birthday.

Archived