Least favourite ASOIAF book and why?

It's a tie for AFFC and ADWD for me. Both books just drag at times. All the Dany chapters are terribly slow. As much as I like Tyrion his chapters are slow as hell in ADWD and I was more interested in learning about the new characters then listening to Tyrion feel sorry for himself.

Reading AFFC right after ASOS is especially depressing where every chapter in ASOS is fast paced and full of interesting things.

If AFFC and ADWD were just paced better then AGOT would probably be my least favorite for the sole reason that I've read it the most of out all the books so it's the least interesting to me now.

It's hard for me to pick which book I like the least. I don't really dislike any of them. I can say that my favorite is A Storm of Swords, followed by A Game of Thrones. I guess the last two books would tie for last place in my opinion. I think they would have been stronger if they'd been split chronologically rather than geographically. Plus I think they both have way too much filler. They could probably have been one much shorter book.

I actually liked AFFC, thought the Brienne chapters were wonderful in showing the cost of war, and I enjoyed everything about the Ironborn.

Have to say ADWD is my least favourite. Without all the Essos chapters it could have been amazing, as all the chapters in the Northern theatre were as good as ASOIF gets, but the whole Mereen business and Tyrion's escapades really brought it down.

I always considered aDwD as my least favorite. To me it felt like an unfinished fanfiction that the writer gave up on and decided to troll us with constant cliffhanger endings.

Positives:

Theon

Jon

Asha

Davos

(Pretty much the North)

Negatives:

Everything else.

I rate the books like this:

aSoS (10/10

aGoT (10/10

aFfC (9/10

aCoK (8/10

aDwD (7/10)

It's a tie for AFFC and ADWD for me. Both books just drag at times. All the Dany chapters are terribly slow. As much as I like Tyrion his chapters are slow as hell in ADWD and I was more interested in learning about the new characters then listening to Tyrion feel sorry for himself.

Reading AFFC right after ASOS is especially depressing where every chapter in ASOS is fast paced and full of interesting things.

If AFFC and ADWD were just paced better then AGOT would probably be my least favorite for the sole reason that I've read it the most of out all the books so it's the least interesting to me now.

I did the same thing you did by reading AFFC right after I finished ASOS. What a change of pace, to say the least. The fact that it also included several new POVs also combined to make it a less enjoyable read than ASOS, at least in my opinion.

Just to add another voice to the whole "Feast does not suck" debate.

It's just my opinion but this is the list of my favorite books in order. It seems unfair to say I disliked any of them since I would rather read aGoT than pretty much any other non-ASOAIF book:

1. aSoS - a masterpiece

2. aDwD - I don't care that much about Meereen chapters being slow or Quentyn's chapters. Theon POVs make this book really great.

3. aFfC - As others have mentioned, I really like the change of pace. I love the Jaime and Brienne chapters particularly. Septon Maribald is one of my favorite minor characters.

4. aCoK - Tyrion's chapters are terrific.

5. aGoT - one of them has to be last. I think this one suffers because it needs to spend time introducing us to the characters. Still a great book.

Not to repeat myself, but as others have pointed out, Feast really benefits from a re-read.

It's hard for me to pick which book I like the least. I don't really dislike any of them. I can say that my favorite is A Storm of Swords, followed by A Game of Thrones. I guess the last two books would tie for last place in my opinion. I think they would have been stronger if they'd been split chronologically rather than geographically. Plus I think they both have way too much filler. They could probably have been one much shorter book.

That's one of the other reasons AFFC is my least fav, by the time I read ADWD I forget where the other characters were, and what they were doing at that time.

AFFC is my least favorite book in the series, with ADwD in a close second place. I know that a lot of people love those books, but I'm quite convinced that had the first three books in the series been written in the same style and with the same pace as those two, this forum would not exist and very few of us would have been fans to begin with. The problem mainly has to deal with the lack of plot development and various editing issues. This criticism is common and well-known though, so I'm guessing I don't have to elaborate on it further. In any event, the top rated reviews on Amazon capture my sentiments with regard to those books fairly well.

I still have high hopes for TWOW though. I sincerely believe that'll bring the entire series back to form.

aGoT :P Just because I was pissed on how good it was but I already knew what would happen because I'd watched the TV show

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I started reading the books after I watched the first season, so "A game of thrones" had very few surprises left. The uncharted ASOIAF world began with A clash of kings. But I like all the books - I don't mind long descriptions and little to no action - and thus I couldn't really pick a best or worst one :)

ADWD is my least favorite. The Meereen chapters dragged the story to a screeching halt. The book also felt incomplete to me without the battle at Winterfell.

I wasn't a big fan of AFFC after my initial reading, but I enjoyed it far more during my pre-Dance reread. It can't measure up to ASOS (what can?), but I think it's a better book than ADWD for sure.

The first time through, I would have certainly said AFFC. But having just completed my re-read less than an hour ago, Im swayed to say that ADWD was probably no better, I just liked the characters more.

The problem with AFFC & ADWD is that it largely consisted of plotting without a payoff and a lot of pieces moving across the board without much interaction.

For example:

AFFC has great POVs from Sansa, Arya & Jaime, but is completely and utterly dragged down by the slow Dorne introduction and the unbelievable amount of Ironborn overload. Even Sam dragged because all he did was travel and watch Aemon die.

Don't get me started on Brienne's completely pointless sojourn through the Riverlands either. Ach, that was boring. Worst use of a character in all the novels, especially on as previously interesting as the Beauty.

I think your opinion of the book probably pivots on whether you enjoyed or hated the Cersei chapters, which I hated the first time through but appreciated much more the second.

ADWD has the exceptional Theon chapters, some really good early stuff from Tyrion, Jon Snow's struggles commanding the Wall, Bran's plugging into the Weirwood network and the pace picking up late with everyone getting back into the story, except for Sansa.

Yet at the same time, I fucking HATED Dany's chapters because all she did was moon over Daario and spend no time even attempting to train her damn dragons. GET TO WESTEROS GEORGE!

I HATED Tyrion after Jorah captured him. I HATED Quentyn Martell, though his death will be important for Dorne to declare for fAegon.

Oh and speaking of which, Aegon is this book's Cersei chapters. I really enjoyed his arc but a lot of people see him as piling on.

So these two books were a decade long, bible-length setup for what should be two excellent final additions, the last of which Im sure Ill get to read circa 2023. They have to be taken hand in hand, as the weakest entry thus far, but if I had to pick, ADWD wins because of how great the Theon chapters were.

My 5 in order:

1) Storm of Swords

2) Game of Thrones

3) Clash of Kings

4) ADWD

4a) Feast

I really enjoyed them all, but ADwD would have to be my least favorite because:

Dany lusting for Daario (so many reasons I disapproved of this)

Jon's last chapter

Aegon appearing (mixed feelings because I love the Targaryens [if he even is one] but i'd rather have Dany on the throne)

Tyrion's incessant "wherever whores go" was driving me mad

• 1 month later...

I haven't read ADWD though up to now I would say that my least favourite is AFFC. Actually I read the first 4 books within 2,5 months after watching the series. Having read the books in such a short time I have been able to compare them and notice even slight differences between them. I was so fascinated by the first 3 books, particulatly when I finished the 3rd one I was SOOOOO excited!!!

I have to say that to my big disappointment I didn't like AFFC for the following reasons:

1. I hated the new POV title fashion (The Captain of the Guard, The Princess in The Tower, The Cat of The Canals and so on). Half the POVs have the old-fashiones name titles and the other half have these stupid titles!

2. I didn't like the introduction of so many new character. It could be fine with one character for Dorne and one for the Iron Islands.

3. The whole book seems disoriented. It' s really disturbing because GRRM is building up so carefully on some characters in the previous books only to make them seem less important in that book by inserting so many more figures.

4. Not all the main characters are in that book.

5. I don't like POV characters appearing only for one or two chapters.

6. The pace is very slow and many things could have been omitted.

7. I don't like new things coming up out of nowhere where there is noforshadowing. What was that thing about the Faith coming up suddenly????!!!!!

All in all, I think book 4 and 5 could be done in one book rather than 2!!!!

Please GRRM, I want the old way!!

Archived