[Book Spoilers] EP307 Discussion

Have you guys heard Joffrey's delivery of "What did you say?" in the episode 8 preview?

Thank you for this! Comcast decided to freeze on me at the end of the episode AGAIN! It's only happened twice and only when I'm watching GoT! I missed dead Ros last week because it froze.

Grooming beyond the wall probably involves rusty daggers and milk of the poppy.

I'll chalk it up to magic...just like dragons and wights. That's how i choose to believe girls work in real life too, magic.

He plans on marching on Casterly Rock in the show. Of course that was a couple episodes ago, so now his plans may have changed.

ETA: that was pre losing the Karstarks so now I assume he's hoping to get the Frey army and head that way.

I kind of liked how they make it an emphasis in the show that the Young Wolf hasn't lost a battle yet. I wish they would show him winning one more battle before the wedding just to drive the point home that he is sucessful on that front. However, this season is more about highlighting his "missteps" moreso than his triumphs.

He hasn't had any war council scenes with his main lieutenants that I can recall. Just him and his immediate family and those statues. :P

Obviously the Wedding is important, and the Frey troops. The point is, the will would have no importance to the storyline unless there were some imminent danger (like a battle) introduced to the viewer, as it was in the books.

Then maybe Talisa has a miscarriage and Catelyn confronts Robb about the need for an heir and we get the will then. Maybe the episode confirms that the will isn't important because Robb actually knocked Jeyne up.

that's not fair at all. Its obvious to us because we read the books already. Its not obvious to the people who don't know the rest of the story.

It isn't fair both ways, because the non books have the books spoiled, and us bookies have it spoiled too, because they keep revealing stuff from books 6 and 7 which are not out yet! When reading the books, most of the time I had no idea what is going to happen. I don't understand how the non bookies don't know what will happen by now.

It was good to see Tormund tonight. TBH I actually like the way the show did him this season. It's much more believable that he wouldn't come right out and be friendly with this crow who switched sides, before Jon actually earned his trust

That's actually one of the things that I liked about this episode -- that they are now making him more like 'book' Tormund. He was such a larger than life character, almost like a willdling Greatjon Umberr

Orell telling Jon Snow about the nature of beasts and why he will never hold on to Ygritte was quite fascinating. Both for its own value but also because I think it might tie into Jon warging Ghost later.

“I’ve seen wet shits I like better than Walder Frey.” That’s my best line for the episode.

"Edmure is the best match a Frey has had in the history of their house." That seems untrue to me? They’ve married Lannisters, who I would assume are richer than the Lord of Riverrun. Maybe not? Besides, still pales in comparison to marrying a king.

The video that shows all the reasons people believe Talisa is a spy totally ruin the scenes of her and Robb for me. I can’t watch them without doubts now. She does have a beautiful body though. Not a fan of her face but I appreciate her curves. But her asking about Robb coming to Volantis and being pregnant puts a bit of a wrench in the traitor theory, I hope? I just want him to have something pure and happy before he dies =(

Orell trying to steal Ygritte is just stupid. They don’t need to add the drama to that relationship after of the cutting the rope last week. Where is the subtlety in any of these off-book plotlines? They beat you over the head with it.

Oh Sansa. "Did your mother teach you?" Naïve naïve naïve. Beating you over the head again with her stupidity, but also alluding to Margaery's reputation. Maybe it will tie into the trial later.

"I don’t pay you to put evil notions in my head. The ones already there don’t need any company." Finally a shout out to the darker side of Tyrion!

I expected Tywin to epically slap down Joffrey. That scene was instead rather...underwhelming.

I enjoyed hearing all of Dany’s titles. But her eyes look darker to me, did anyone else notice? They don't look like this anymore -

http://revistea.com/tv/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2013/04/daenerys.jpg

"But my dragons made no promises" – awesome.

Foreshadowing – Tyrion asking what he would do across the Narrow Sea, juggle?

Melisandre’s tale is interesting considering how many slaves serve the Red God. Probably they will change that too. But I can't remember whether or not she talks about her past and her path to the Red God in the books. Will have to look up the wiki.

The girls being complicit in Ramsay’s torture of Theon is so wrong. The book girls were all terrified of him. These looked like they were enjoying it.

"Not all girls are like you." Oh how true. You're stupid for letting her go, Jon Snow... even if it's necessary to save the world and all that.

"How many lives have you saved?" "Half a million, the population of KL." That was a pretty powerful reminder I think. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t have Jaime dreaming of Brienne though. That was much sweeter and more prophetic. Also Jaime should have pushed damn Locke into the bear pit. I kept waiting for that since it sure didn't look like Brienne bit his ear off.

Finally got the bear pit...but I was a little disappointed in it. Too short - and they now they cut the second of my three favorite lines from the books. "Brienne, her name is Brienne." But then they didn't make much of this whole little sub-theme in the series. Oh, well... :frown5:

Loved the scene between Sansa and Margaery - "I'll have to...we'll have to..." and, of course, "yes, sweet girl, my mother taught me" :lmao:

Tormund was great!

Ygritte outdid herself in this episode.

Talisa pregnant...and on her way to Edmure's wedding with the rest of them? Guess the Will business is going to be left out?

Charles Dance is just SO good. Loved his interaction with Joffrey. "We could arrange to have you carried."

The dragons! All three -- and Grey Worm is just so cool, even without saying a word. Well cast!

Then maybe Talisa has a miscarriage and Catelyn confronts Robb about the need for an heir and we get the will then. Maybe the episode confirms that the will isn't important because Robb actually knocked Jeyne up.

:o

That was actually one thing I thought of while watching. Don't really believe it, but...

I actually think there are a number of ways the will could happen. They just need to pick up the pace next week.

He is still with them right now, but goes to Skagos with Asha (who I don't really like).

They seem to be laying the groundwork for a parting of the ways with their little fellowship and making it seem ambiguous whether Bran is doing the right thing going to see the Three Eyed Crow which fits with the ambiguity about current theories on that story line.

I assume that the show runners just give GRRM an outline for the episode and have him write it based on the direction they want him to take? It must be a surreal experience for him, not only having his masterpiece re-worked, dumbed down and made 'TV friendly' -- but he himself contributing to it (i.e, writing this week's episode). At this point, they really can only say that this season is loosely based on "A Storm Of Swords". They're at the point now where I watch an episode and actually get excited when something happens the way it did in the book. It seems that they've eliminated all subtext, which is part of what makes the books so geat -- that you have to use your brain to piece things together. Everything on this show seems so ham-handed in comparison, where every motive has to be spelled out. Is that due to much lower expectations of the TV audience than the book audience, I wonder?

{sorry if this rather general point has ben made here before, but I don't read this forum very often}

They seem to be laying the groundwork for a parting of the ways with their little fellowship and making it seem ambiguous whether Bran is doing the right thing going to see the Three Eyed Crow which fits with the ambiguity about current theories on that story line.

During that scene I honestly felt like that when they were gonna split up. But that will probably be in the season finale.