[Book Spoilers] EP307 Discussion

Well, no surprise they took the RW for themselves, is it? Only fair, as they gave him Blackwater.

(Here's your cue, Kaitscraft and Joyful Union, to pillory me for my obvious hatred of all things Benioff and Weiss. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Ran

Yes, although if the scene did what it realistically could and I as a viewer am disappointed with it then it can be seen as my own fault for having unrealistic expectations. This is just a general observation and not an attack on Ran's opinions.

Well that is the crux of the 'book purist' debate, some people's expectations for faithful adaptation were too great while others aren't that bothered, it's just what you went into it thinking.

Edited by Dragonstoned

Well, no surprise they took the RW for themselves, is it? Only fair, as they gave him Blackwater.

Let's just say I am not optimistic at this point in time of their ability to deliver on the RW. There aren't even any recognizable people left in the show who can die at the RW beyond Robb, Cat, Talisa. There is no brother to free Grey Wind, no Greatjon, no bannermen we've seen in ages. Maybe they're going to stage it totally different as an intimate affair instead of the mass slaughter it was in the books.

Robb also says he's lost half his men. This is the show's take on things. They simplify stuff a lot.

If the date is nearer to 200 than 300, it seems to me you'd round down to 200 than round it up to 300, but who knows... But then there's the heads-the-size-of-apples thing, which doesn't fit either. Like I said, could just genuinely be mistakes on GRRM's part, it's just two of these things right after the other made me wonder.

I think it's more of a throwaway remark than outright simplifying. Robb and Tywin are both exaggerating the hopelessness of the northern position. Similarly Tywin wants to emphasise how long ago it was that dragons worth fearing were around.

Well, there's lots of guests... they're just not people we know. But a lot of this is the limitations to their budget. They can't really have a dozen people hanging around...

Or, well, at least that's their view. I'm reminded of how Lost had, like, a dozen background extras who were basically kept on season after season to give the lostaway camp consistency.

I wonder if they couldn't have done the same with Robb's battle companions... Oh well, opportunity lost.

(Here's your cue, Kaitscraft and Joyful Union, to pillory me for my obvious hatred of all things Benioff and Weiss. :rolleyes: )

As much as I enjoy such opportunities, this is not one of them. GRRM cant have all the fun.

Also, didnt GRRM say he didnt want to write the RW? Or was that him just being gracious in dejection?

Well that is the crux of the 'book purist' debate, it's just some people's expectations for faithful adaptation were too great while others aren't that bothered.

Yes, there's a lot of difference there. In the end too high expectations only ruin things for yourself though (apart from that negative voices tend to be the most loud on the Internet) so everyone are free to expect what they wish. I'm of the opinion that the responsibility for a great experience is shared equally among the makers and the viewers. Then again some people seem to get some enjoyment out of constantly criticizing something and I guess that's another kind of experience.

As much as I enjoy such opportunities, this is not one of them. GRRM cant have all the fun.

Also, didnt GRRM say he didnt want to write the RW? Or was that him just being gracious in dejection?

I haven't heard George say that but judging from what he's said about writing that chapter in the book it seems believable.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

Yeah, I don't know what to make of it. I can only imagine they're going to mention and show him in 9 and then have him killed to set the stage later for Frey Pie. (I can't possibly imagine they aren't planning to use that.)

Edited by Ran

LF gave him the idea of the jousting dwarfs right so they wont show that, maybe LF telling him about Dany instead of varys who has spies across the sea is his way of getting Joffrey to trust him, give him a girl to kill, lil info no one else has told him, discord between king n his small council. A Lil chaos for LF for the road.

Sounds reasonable to me. Especially after LF's Chaos/Ladder monologue which I loved.

Maybe they're going to stage it totally different as an intimate affair instead of the mass slaughter it was in the books.

There better be mass slaughter! :devil:

Edited by ckal

I find it strange that we saw Robb's army march to RR, but we haven't seen anyone but his immediate family since then, to me, this robs the RW of a huge degree of its tragic dimension because the viewer will have no connection to anyone but these main characters...Maege Mormont, Robb's squire or some made up bannermen could have been given a few minutes of consistent screen time this season so the audience might care when they get killed. Seems like a missed opportunity that would have been easy and cheap to make come off.

Edited by Cas Stark

Have we established which episodes will have which weddings? I though I've read somewhere on here that they were going to do the Purple Wedding this season. Is Tyrion and Sansa in episode 8? I'm pretty sure RW is episode 9. Any insight anyone?

There is a thread for that: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/86155-book-spoilers-on-weddings/

You could try and get it moved to this episode's. Currently it is on Episode 6's.

Tbf the showrunners haven't shown a lot of understanding of the RW. I mean they get the core principle which is Robb and Cat betrayed and killed but given how they cite it as their motivation for making the series they don't seem to care much for the build-up or anything else that happens around it, Robb oathbreaking, the Freys being previously very involved on the Stark side, Robb's plan to retake the North, the massacre aspect that comes from the other northern lords being killed with them.

Early days obviously and I expect the scene will be everything everyone hoped.

Roose's wham line when he shanks Robb will be more broad than in the books, it seems. "Tell Robb Stark the Lannisters send their regards," hmm...

It was "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" in the book right? I wonder which Roose will decide to say to Robb?

Tbf the showrunners haven't shown a lot of understanding of the RW. I mean they get the core principle which is Robb and Cat betrayed and killed but given how they cite it as their motivation for making the series they don't seem to care much for the build-up or anything else that happens around it, Robb oathbreaking, the Freys being previously very involved on the Stark side, Robb's plan to retake the North, the massacre aspect that comes from the other northern lords being killed with them.

Early days obviously and I expect the scene will be everything everyone hoped.

There are often things that happen which lead me to question how much the show runners actually really understand of many parts of the series.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cat dies offscreen at the RW. She'll probably slip on the floor somewhere at the back while Talisa says "No, not my hair, Robb loves my hair".

Oh gods. Cat will also be lamenting her treatment of Jon Snow and agonizing about how everything is her fault. :ack: