[Book Spoilers] EP307 Discussion

I was sorta bummed out by the Tywin-Joffrey scene--I thought there would be more sparks. It looks like that was just a preview for a full-on Tywin-Joffrey (or is it Tyrion-Joffrey) slapfest in S3E08.

Tywin is subtle and careful. He probably didnt want to risk the little sh*t lopping off his head. Tyrion is the slapper and he already did it.

It was nice to see Robb's butt :drool:

Word

I have really no more to say about Theon/Reek. I really think the entire character could be eliminated without losing too much dramatic power of the story. The center of the story is the game of thrones, in what was does Reek/Theon contribute to whom will be sitting on the Iron Throne at the end of Book 7 (season 9?).

He took Winterfell as Theon. He took Moat Cailin without a battle as Reek with Greyjoy guile. He vouched for Fake Arya legitimizing Bolton's claim to Winterfell. The capture of Arya by the Boltons has motivated the Northern part of Stannis' army and allowed him passage through to Winterfell. He escaped the Boltons with Fake Arya. He is providing Stannis with intelligence.

Also his character story is quite well done.

Or am I being trolled B)

Edited by rmholt

Damn I'm annoyed about Jon Snow being cut out of the will. I understand why they did it- it pulls on the audience's emotional strings to have an unborn son involved. Would have rather added more depth to JS's character than have more wasted background on the Robb Stark story.

Anyone else rooting for a miscarriage in the next episode?

Damn I'm annoyed about Jon Snow being cut out of the will. I understand why they did it- it pulls on the audience's emotional strings to have an unborn son involved. Would have rather added more depth to JS's character than have more wasted background on the Robb Stark story.

I think that'll be what keeps her from RW. Some type of sickness related to the preggers and her not being up to it. Talisa's gonna be part of the plot in the end. I hate itcause it's so obvious.

I really like this Qyburn character. Much better sneaky worm type than Pycelle who has little entertainment value

He could ask next episode if they have a scene. Did Locke and his men...dishonor you? No, good. I only rescue maidens.

I doubt it will happen though, since Jaime doesn't seem like he'd want to provoke her by asking.

It would have felt out of place. That and Brienne had the Thermobaric equivalent of 'if looks could kill' visage going.

Another Piece moving episode. But i quite enjoyed it.

- Jon and Ygritte are a cute couple and i enjoy there chemistry

- Now there is the Tormund we know and love

- Jamie and Brienne are killer as usual

- I get a feeling that Gold Chain will come back around

- Tywin owning Joffery

- Dany oh man shes just in charge and ruthless.

- The credit score of the Rains of Castamere was top

Link for those who want to listen to it over and over and over.

The Robb, Bran and Theon stuff was so so but i dont ask for 100% jaw dropping all the time

Not sure why people seem to think Talisas letter says marriage approved...I just rewatched it and it looks like "Munuq pypa" but Robb clearly states the question "Is that Valyrian?" as well as the fact that I'm pretty sure he can read the common tongue.

I'm rooting

Miscarriage will solve a lot of problems. She will be grief stricken and a reason not to go to the Wedding and who will accompany her? Blackfish of course.

Allright episode, not one of the best but probably neccesary for moving all the pieces together.

- Tormund is showing of his more jolly side was great. At least he was talking about his member even though he never mentioned it explicitly.

- I really liked the Jon & Ygritte scenes, really sweet. Ygritte & Orell felt kinda out of nowhere though.

- The Tywin & Joffrey scene was also fantastic, great acting from both Charles Dance and Jack Gleeson. I also found it funny that for once Joffrey actually got a point in what he's saying. It also seemed like Joffrey was actally taking a bigger interest in the affairs of the realm and ruling rather than just demand heads on spikes. I can't remember if that was in the books.

- All three dragons at the same time!

- It was nice to have time for a little Tyrion / Bronn chatter too.

Finally, something I kep thinking about every time I see Jorah. His new armor is fancy and all but it looks like it's made of leather and shouldn't that be a step down from his old plate armor?

If they announce Talisa is pregnant in this episode only to have her miscarriage in the next, I don't see what the point is of bringing it in at all. There has to be something bigger in play.

Regarding Tywin: Just because something isn't repeatedly brought into the forefront doesn't mean they are being whitewashed. We have heard the stories about what he has done, and unfortunately for the medium of television, there isn't that much time to go back and revisit told stories. You might wish people to have stronger reactions to characters by having them portrayed in a particular light, but that doesn't mean that's the only interpretation. What I get of Tywin is a brilliant man, who is utterly ruthless and brutal in his goals, but effects those goals in a strategic manner.

The challenge of the TV medium is that the audience must believe the character you are presenting, and to achieve that you must add in aspects of the character which are familiar to the audience. Consider what happens when you build up only the negative aspects of a character in order to create a villain. I don't think that many members of the audience can relate to the characters of Ramsay, Joffrey, The Mountain, or Locke, and as such there isn't much the audience expects from those characters. Complicated characters like Tywin are challenging to write as you must get the audience to 'buy in' to what the character is doing in order to avoid just seeing a villain to be killed off in the name of 'good'.

Now, regarding Cersie: She is also a complicated character, and you can't have her just jump into a sea of suspicion and paranoia right from the getgo and evoke the strongest emotions from the audience. The audience has to see her human side, they have to see her as a recognizable person, flawed, but understandable, and they MUST have some sympathy to her. It doesn't have to be a lot, but there must be enough. What this does is basically draw the audience in and makes her descent into paranoia that much more compelling and impactful.

It also provides a contrast. In television, you don't have that long to develop the various nuances, and the subtleties can often be lost if you try to show a transition from grey morality to greyer morality. That's why they are making these characters more sympathetic now, because it gets the audience to become more emotionally invested in the outcome.

The subtleties also get lost when you show characters that are pretty much as perfect as Jamie and Tyrion appear to be. It makes later changes appear forced and unrealistic. And I'm almost 100% that there is no need for further redemption for Jamie, he's the good guy character dream. Always had the most noble of intentions, misunderstood, persecuted by the mean old Northmen, and looks out for the outcast Brienne.

Regarding Cersei, we dont need her "human side". She was what she's supposed to be season 1 and one episode of season 2. All this flip flopping of her personality and weakness she shows make her character inconsistent and falls flat to me. We arent supposed to see her "human side" because she doesnt freakin have one. She may be complex but she's a complex sociopath and has been one since she was physically torturing her little brother with genital mutilation as a child.

Only read a few pages of comments, but maybe the showwriters made a mistake by bringing Talysa Along. In that case, GRRM might be correcting this by having her lie that she's pregnant to save her own (perfect) ass, which would indeed mean she's a spy. (Robb would surely send her back to keep her safe, right?)