[Book Spoilers] EP307 Discussion

Here is my thoughts on this weeks episode.

http://squarevision....en-fair-review/

I gave it a 6 out of 10.

I did think that nothing really happened.

Did George RR Martin write this one? I am surprised.

I'm assuming you're a book reader? In that case I find it troubling that even fans of the book are already becoming restless at the perceived lack of action. How many big set pieces like the bear pit take place in AFFC/ADWD?

I'm assuming you're a book reader? In that case I find it troubling that even fans of the book are already becoming restless at the perceived lack of action. How many big set pieces like the bear pit take place in AFFC/ADWD?

Very true. The only exiting stuff is at the wall, the Darkstar stuff, and greenseer stuff

Very true. The only exiting stuff is at the wall, the Darkstar stuff, and greenseer stuff

For action there is certainly enough -- The Barristan fight, Quentyn and the Dragons, they could show the Quentyn scene on the boat that's not in the books, Tyrion/Aegon on the boat with the grey people, duck vs aegon could be a good scene, they could mix in a pit fighting scene, brienne vs rorge/biter, the shield islands fight, siege of Dragonstone.

Plenty of action and it will be condensed, not spread out like the current season and next season.

Edited by Lux in Tenebris

For action there is certainly enough -- The Barristan fight, Quentyn and the Dragons, they could show the Quentyn scene on the boat that's not in the books, Tyrion/Aegon on the boat with the grey people, duck vs aegon could be a good scene, they could mix in a pit fighting scene, brienne vs rorge/biter, the shield islands fight, siege of Dragonstone.

Plenty of action and it will be condensed, not spread out like the current season and next season.

Told. :(. Lol

Well next season will have arguably the most epic fight scene of all, Oberyn vs the Mountain in the Tyrion's trial by combat!

Edited by Jon Icefyre

I'd say this season has had more "action" than any season yet... The duel between Brienne & Jaime; the mutiny at Craster's Keep; Dany sacking Astapor; the duel between Beric & the Hound; Jon & the wildlings climbing the Wall; and the bear pit. There has been an action scene (so to speak) just about every episode.

It's not about how much goddamn "action" there is. This isn't some generic Hollywood flick.

Two of the absolute best scenes this season were Tywin and Tyrion when Tyrion demands Casterly Rock, and Jaime telling Brienne how he became the kingslayer. Neither of them were action-sequences. Those are the kind of scenes the show needs more of, not action-sequences to please the teenagers.

It's not about how much goddamn "action" there is. This isn't some generic Hollywood flick.

Two of the absolute best scenes this season were Tywin and Tyrion when Tyrion demands Casterly Rock, and Jaime telling Brienne how he became the kingslayer. Neither of them were action-sequences. Those are the kind of scenes the show needs more of, not action-sequences to please the teenagers.

I can't agree more. Action can be good and all, but this is not Game of Thrones, starring Bruce Willis as Robb Stark.

I agree with you. But one episode of moving the plot lines forward and everyone is ranting about how terrible it was. There will be a lot more of that coming up. So more bitching predicted.

I agree with you. But one episode of moving the plot lines forward and everyone is ranting about how terrible it was. There will be a lot more of that coming up. So more bitching predicted.

Honestly I just hope they show the scene from the book where Robb tells Cat he named Jon his heir in his will, which looks to have possibly been changed a little on the show seeing as though Talisa is now claiming she's 'pregnant'.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

While the scene was appropriately brutal, I think it needs to be the last Theon scene for a while because the torture is already starting to become repetitive, it can't go on like this for two more seasons.

I imagine this season will include the Ramsay reveal, so be ready for another this season. Next season we will probably see Theon on the hunts with the bitches.

Edited by 7V3N

I'm not worried about action. Too many scenes in the first half were overextended. This wouldn't be a problem so much in the novels, where interior monologue and different sorts of narrative colouring can lend event. Martin's dialogue was an improvement over previous episodes, but it's possible to apply too much of your own literary construction directly into a medium that is tradionally snappier paced. Stephen King, for example, is a very erratic adaptor of his own material. My one concern is that delaying the appearance of the Red Wedding will mean having to shorten the future adaptation of more eventful passages in the books. For instance, where are the Dornish? Are they even going to be used?

Edited by The Killer Snark

I don't think the problem is lack of action scenes, rather, episode felt like some random scenes thrown together without rhyme or reason, or almost. There was no real structure. I wish they were braver about not having all character in one episode.

Action can be good and all, but this is not Game of Thrones, starring Bruce Willis as Robb Stark.

I would pay good money to ensure Hollywood never makes that.

After rewatching, I found I really enjoyed the episode--this time. We got lots of info and a couple of nice intimate scenes, and some of the pieces on the cyvasse board have moved into interesting new positions. Since the screen on my laptop is much brighter and clearer than my crap HD TV (I know, right?), I got to appreciate details and looks and moments that were just beautifully crafted. That said, I zipped through The Reek and the Maidens Fair, because enough. He's being broken down as Theon, but now he has to be built up as Reek. That, to me, is the problem with the extended torture scenes. The why of it being kept mysterious to us (and to Theon) results in diminishing returns.

Bring on the weddings! I already sent Edmure and Roslin a top-of-the-line blender.

• 1 month later...

I find the Margaery/Sansa scene really strange. Margaery could be a bit promiscuos, (they're hinting at this in s2 as well, when Renly asks Loras if she's a virgin and Loras reply with: ''well, officially) but she shouldn't be made out to be that promiscuos