[Book Spoilers] EP307 Discussion

Well they can't do that in the show. Otherwise they could lose Alfie and the audience would forget about him.

He needs to be kept around, though I don't know why he is in so many episodes. Aren't they going to run out of ways to show him being tortured?

Hopefully they'll jump start the reek storyline soon.

Yeah, but the Ramsy Bolton/fake Arya wedding @ Winterfell shouldn't occur for another three seasons, so what are they going to do with Theo that whiole time? Show him being tortured every week in different ways for the next three seasons?

I'm laughing but I really shouldn't be.

Oh dear.

I wonder if Shae is CGI.

You know what it reminds me of? In The Last Unicorn where she is on display and all the people believe she's fake. The real thing is right before their eyes but they don't believe any more so they can't see it.

The Theon torture is taking time away from even the best storyline, Jaime and Brienne. Cat could certainly use some scenes and can we see Grey Wind for more than five seconds? I know Robb is away from him for much of ASOS but that's because Jeyne is afraid of him. There's no such concern there.

cringe worthy moments include the very cliche romance moments, and as much as i hate to say it, the actress playing shae is terrible..worse than ros,

I have been saying this since season 1. People have saying Sibel Kekilli is a decent German actor, but I haven't been impressed at all. I wouldn't have been torn up at all if they had kept Esmi Bianco around instead.

the fact that GRRM has written this garbage should disappoint you MORE so than if it were just some other writer...i really don't get you people.

I wasn't that impressed either, other than the fact Jon Snow finally exhibited some resembling a personality for the first time since Season 1. I am curious how much was rewritten by the showrunners (a common practice in TV writing), before I slam George too much. As I mentioned in a previous post, I do think so much of blame is with the showrunners. Its how they are breaking the stories which causing so many of episodes to feel like filler.

Yeah, but the Ramsy Bolton/fake Arya wedding @ Winterfell shouldn't occur for another three seasons, so what are they going to do with Theo that whiole time? Show him being tortured every week in different ways for the next three seasons?

Not really. GRRM himself said events in the books happen out of order to the POVs. Theon could well be into the ADWD stuff in a season. Let's not forget season 4 is SOS/FFC/ADWD stuff.

Probably the worst episode of the entire series. Hard to watch... the few nods to the book readers don't do it for me.

1. Robb/Talisa awkward as fuck.

2. Roose Bolton scene was rushed again.

3. Jon/Ygritte was good. I like Rose Lesley more and more

4. Drogon is one ugly monster, god. I imagined the dragons a bit more majestic and less directly jumping out of Resident Evil

5. Jamie/Brienne was fine

6. Is Gendry retarded or something??

7. I'd like Theons daily torture more when it's without the vampire chicks from Bram Stoker's Dracula. Why did they use the spearwife-scene from ADwD for Ramsey's whores?

8. I expected some more from the Tywin-Joffrey-scene. Thank God there are two outstanding actors doing this

To be honest I am a bit worried about the future of ASOIAF if GRRM really wrote most of this stuff.

I'm fine with one weak episode however, as long as they carry everything out in an epic way in the last three episodes.

EDIT: "Hodor" cracked me up though

Edited by Xasthur

I think the strength of this series, the good writing, is more and more fading. I remember scenes from season 1 and 2, which are not plot-driven and have a boring/filling setup. But they were still enjoyable because of the good dialogues. Always something unexpected happened, and somebody always dropped something cool.

Wasn't happening recently. It's like when somebody tells you a story, and you always wait for the punchline, but the whole story somehow fades into obscurity.

A slow episode, some good scenes but just not as good as 3x04 or 3x05. That's OK, but I expected a bit more from GRRM's handiwork. I guess they need to setup the plot points for 3x09 and 3x10's payoffs.

-Jon's scenes are great. Kit finally shows emotion other than dull surprise and has a great chemistry with Ygritte. We even get funny!Tormund back.

-Talisa is a spy, I'm 95% sure of it. Writing letters twice and obviously lying about the one this time around? Very, very fishy. Also I'm dissapointed Catelyn is seemingly only around to be glum all the time. I guess she was like that in the books too but by that point I'm pretty sure Talisa got more screen time this season, and that should not be. Robb jr. is also an interesting developement. We'll see how Talisa fares during the RW and what importance her (alleged) child truly has. Might be a red herring.

-So that's the further character development GRRM hinted about Osha. Who bets we get an Osha POV where we get that story in book 6, or something like it?

-To the people who said Shae would survive Tyrionrage; this was the writers saying ''lolno''. I'm glad they play up how nicer Tyrion and Shae are in the show, it will make the subsequent events more tragic. However, I'm not a fan of clingy Shea. It's a bit annoying and simply too much of a departure from the books IMO.

-I liked the Sansa-Marg scene, but it had a bit too much emphasize on Tyrion being a dwarf and not enough about him being a Lannister. Makes Sansa seem superficial when at that point in the story when she's supposed to have evolved.

-Melissandre must have sacrificed a hundred virgins to power that boat. From the Riverlands to King's Landing in one episode? That, or she go hold of that patented Littlefinger/Lannister army teleporting powder. Still plays up Gendry's future importance, and the superficial side of me will not say no to a scene with the show's hottest actress.

-Dany's scene was the best. Emilia Clarke is much better playing the regal, ruthless conqueror than the scared little girl. That writing. Dat CGI camp and city. Dem dragons. Dat dress. A great scene.

-The Bear Pit was over a bit too quickly, and they overlooked my favourite line from it (''are you a maiden? Good, because I only rescue maidens''). But they kept ''Lannisters send their regards'' so it's OK. Also I'm glad they went the extra mile and got a real, live bear, I think a CGI one would have been conspicuous. And Jaime rescueing Brienne because of her probable fate rather than yet another semi-magical dream is a good change from the books IMO.

-Show!Tywin is such a boss, and Charles Dance is such a good actor. Albeit it was weird to see Joffrey actually being pretty reasonable for once. Just ignoring three giant fuck-off dragons can be hazardous to one's health, I was told.

-The BwB don't really guard their prize guest/hostage very well now do they? IIRC in the books Arya fled during a battle, a bit more believable than her just bolting past 10 men without any reaction from them.

-OK, we get it, Theon is being tortured, no need to remind us every time. They could at least have revealed ''Boy'' this episode. It's starting to drag on. Albeit we can see that Reek is starting to form; Theon's actor sounds suitably terrified of Ramsay and immediately suspects something is wrong even when two hot women are taking care of him. Pre-torture Theon would never have reacted like that. But next time they absolutely need to reveal Ramsay and give Reek his name.

i noticed in the credits that the bear was named, and thought to myself 'there's no way that they named an animation'.. regardless of it being real or not...something just felt off in that scene. guess i have to watch it again and go back and read the book chapter as well...my point was for it being the only reason scene of substance in the entire episode besides the gigantic reveal about talisa (possibly being a lannister spy, not the baby) it just didn't feel that momentous or tense in any way,.. and not just because i knew what would happen or that i thought the bear looked bad

anyway, guilty as charged, by that point in the episode i was shaking my head, jaime swearing to bring the stark girls home, something he neither has the authority or means to do even when he returns to KL... just really silly and directly contradictory from the man who wrote the character.

anyway, guilty as charged, by that point in the episode i was shaking my head, jaime swearing to bring the stark girls home, something he neither has the authority or means to do even when he returns to KL... just really silly and directly contradictory from the man who wrote the character.

They need to make him more likable, because they've made him more horrible before...

He simply does it earlier than in the books. He has a similar attitude towards the Stark girls once he arrives in KL; that's why he sends Brienne after them.

They need to make him more likable, because they've made him more horrible before...

can be done in other ways, and there are plenty who still hate him who have read the books.. point is he is swearing an oath to do something that is not within his power to grant or make happen. he doesn't begin to take oaths seriously until he is rejected back at KL and broods in his kingsguard book. explain to someone who hasn't read the books how jaime is going to get sansa back to her family.. i was just asked to do so tonight and had nothing.

On the writing front, a very disappointing episode indeed. Even the 1-1 scenes, which are usually good, were not up to par this time. And Tyrion seems to have forgotten he has wit to fall back on when he's feeling vulnerable. Oh well...

Ygritte doesn't know what swooning is, but knows the swooning at the sight of a spider cliche?

NCW is the highlight as always. The Bear scene had all the makings of a great scene, but it was only good, mostly let down by the director's choice of camera angles, and the editing. It's such a shame.

Talisa pregnant?! Interesting. Not sure I believe her.

I'm sure i have more to say about this ep, but I can't be bothered to say it at the moment. The episode has left me deflated.

point is he is swearing an oath to do something that is not within his power to grant or make happen

Jaime determines to do it just the same in the book, though! He is Jaime Lannister, he expects he'll be able to convince his father of anything if he says his honor depends on it.

Alas, he doesn't know his father as well as he likes to think he does.

They could at least have revealed ''Boy'' this episode...next time they absolutely need to reveal Ramsay and give Reek his name.

I think they will hold off on revealing Ramsay till Roose Bolton has revealed his treachery or atleast around that time as a buildup to the RW. I just think revealing Ramsay now would be a tip off of some kind of Bolton sketchyness.

If he conceived a child, he would just make a new will.

The baby not being born yet wouldn't matter. The child would still be the heir.

really don't think they can have him naming Jon as his heir and be believed. It just doesn't make sense now that he has a child coming. The only way they can do this now is to have Robb legitimize Jon, and name him guardian over his child and Winterfell until his child comes of age, and next in line if his kid should not reach maturity.