[Book Spoilers] EP307 Discussion

It was "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" in the book right? I wonder which Roose will decide to say to Robb?

Imagine he will repeat what Jaime said. It changes the meaning slightly as it could be interpreted as Roose making a comment about the Lannisters organising the whole RW, whereas if it was just 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' it is Roose almost pathologically passing on his regards, indicating he's already committed treason by meeting Jaime and not bringing him back, but as something basically unrelated to the RW.

Tbf the showrunners haven't shown a lot of understanding of the RW. I mean they get the core principle which is Robb and Cat betrayed and killed but given how they cite it as their motivation for making the series they don't seem to care much for the build-up or anything else that happens around it, Robb oathbreaking, the Freys being previously very involved on the Stark side, Robb's plan to retake the North, the massacre aspect that comes from the other northern lords being killed with them.

Early days obviously and I expect the scene will be everything everyone hoped.

Yeah, I had super high expectation for this season since they said Storm and RW was what they were most excited about...and, I haven't seen it. I've seen a crocked up "Talisa" love story, no Northern bannermen for ages, the Freys kind of haphazardly thrown in here and there, no direwolf, so, my expectations are now low. I'm sure it will still have a huge emotional impact, but I have little confidence anymore they really know what they're doing with it.

It was "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" in the book right? I wonder which Roose will decide to say to Robb?

Yeah. Jaime specifically told Roose to send his own regards in the books when he was leaving Harrenhal, too, not "the Lannisters" broadly...

Strange change.

I find it strange that we saw Robb's army march to RR, but we haven't seen anyone but his immediate family since then, to me, this robs the RW of a huge degree of its tragic dimension because the viewer will have no connection to anyone but these main characters...Maege Mormont, Robb's squire or some made up bannermen could have been given a few minutes of consistent screen time this season so the audience might care when they get killed. Seems like a missed opportunity that would have been easy and cheap to make come off.

There are a lot of unknown actors that are really good who will come cheap, or even known actors that haven't worked for a while and would love to work on a hit show for lil money and big exposure. I don't see why they couldn't cast the mormonts, greatjon (more scenes) a Lil squire for Robb (he doesn't even need to say much). As it is now there are only two certain deaths which is not gonna be anywhere near the RW from the books.

Yeah. Jaime specifically told Roose to send his own regards in the books when he was leaving Harrenhal, too, not "the Lannisters" broadly...

Strange change.

They probably want to make it clearer that Jaime has nothing to do with it, now that he's started a path to redemption.

He can still say "Jaime Lannister sends his regards", because Jaime is the one who told them to send regards.

This is plausible, but if someone's told you to pass on their family's regards it's more natural to pass on their family's regards, rather than just that person's. We'll see.

Yeah I've already made my opinion on RW several times on these boards but it looks like more people are starting to see it. The RW's devastation was so much more than just Robb and Cat getting killed, it was complete annihilation of the northern nobles that were Stark Loyalists. But at this point I don't see anyway the show can capture that given the North seems be made of Robb, Karstark and Bolton.

Mmn I made that same post of mine last week and spent the preview threads to the first four episodes going 'can we please have the Frey reaction to Robb's oathbreaking this time?'. With only one episode until the RW I think anxiety has started to kick in for many.

Yeah I've already made my opinion on RW several times on these boards but it looks like more people are starting to see it. The RW's devastation was so much more than just Robb and Cat getting killed, it was complete annihilation of the northern nobles that were Stark Loyalists. But at this point I don't see anyway the show can capture that given the North seems be made of Robb, Karstark and Bolton.

Maybe they will show Robb and Edmure being cheerful with all northen lords who are at the wedding; make it look like they feel warm and surrounded by friends. And then BAM! Everyone dies.

This is the first time i rant about something, but I realized that, as many have been saying for ages, Tyrion has been enormously whitewashed. I infered from Margaery's lines that they want us to think that he actually IS a good match. I really hope next week he will, I don't know, get drunk and act abominably. I really can't stand the idea of people thinking he is a white, perfect knight.

Exactly. This was the point where as a reader you go...holy shit...the Starks and the North just lost.....

I hope we get to see the utter massacre that takes place outside the Twins as well as the slaughter inside.

The Red Wedding should be a truly horrifying, mouth gaping event for everyone watching.

George does not have a cameo this season. It was planned, but he didn't make it out to filming. David Benioff revealed they have plans for one for the upcoming season.

I hope we get to see the utter massacre that takes place outside the Twins as well as the slaughter inside.

There was a clip of a rider amid what appeared to a battle and a Tully banner, looked like the attack on the camps so fingers crossed!

Is that the same man ygritte kills because Jon wouldn't?

No, that was just a random guy. The Liddle was the man in the cave that Bran, Meera, Jojen, Hodor and Summer meet that tells them about Bolton's bastard coming back from the dead and offering money for word on 2 wolves, Bran and Rickon.

No, that was just a random guy. The Liddle was the man in the cave that Bran, Meera, Jojen, Hodor and Summer meet that tells them about Bolton's bastard coming back from the dead and offering money for word on 2 wolves, Bran and Rickon.

I remember him, been a while didnt remember if their descriptions matched.

Why change the line, then?

I guess they wouldn't be writers if they were just copying and pasting George's words. But there are sooooooo many things that I can't see why they would change it if it makes no difference why not have it the way it is in the books.

Edited by Rhaegarsjoy