How would you rate episode 307?  

764 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I voted 8. Probably my third favorite episode of this season (after five, then four). It was a good episode, just not a great one, but that's to be expected given the fact that it was mostly a plot-building episode. It was really beautifully shot, though, which was an added bonus.

Also, I guess we finally got a definitive answer on Theon's castration. All we need to find out now is if it was twig, berries, or the full Unsullied.

Edit: Forgot to add that I loved the foreshadowing of Tyrion giving Shae the gold necklace. There have been questions as to whether or not the showrunners would have the balls to go through with that particular scene, and I think that question was answered tonight.

Edited by briantw

"Mediocre" means "of moderate quality", so I rather wonder at how that equates to a one!

I have to say, this isn't GRRM's best work on the show, but at the same time, they gave him what's perhaps the least momentous episode of the season to work with. I do think his Jon and Ygritte scenes were far and away the best stuff Kit Harington has had to work with since the first season, though. OTOH, ugh, 5 more minutes of Theon abuse, now with added gratuitous nudity. Why do the producers foist this stuff on GRRM (and on us?)

I'm giving it a Seven, thanks to the Jon and Dany scenes (also Tyrion and Bronn, and Tywin and Joffrey, and Brienne and Jaime... although I will say that the bear scene was a disappointment because it was too obviously a trained bear in a carefully choreographed sequence; didn't feel genuinely frightening).

We are in agreement about Jon and Ygritte, by far the best characterization of the two characters and their relationship. Finally made me care about show Jon again.

Brienne too, loved her scenes with Jaime prior to his departure, best Brienne/Jaime moment this season. The bear pit scene was actually a bit disappointing.

I wasn't a big fan of the Dany scene, I thought Emilia Clarke's acting was a bit off in that scene. Still I'll give it a 9 because the parts I love I really loved.

Edited by The Scabbard Of the Morning

The best scene was the overhead shot of gentry and meli coming into KL by route of blackwater. The theon part was too much, shae was especially annoying, dialogue seemed "soap opera"ish at times. Bear pit was anticlimactic, but jaime saying "500000" was cool. Robs a babies daddy?

Strange as it sounds, this episode will be awesome once its on DVD and you can watch it in geek-style: room full of smelly people, bags of cheetos, and nobody leaves for 12 hours. The worst part of this episode is that you had to wait a week to see it, and you gotta wait a week to see the next one.

Once the series can be viewed with retrospect, this episode will feel much tighter. TRUST!

Oh, and Brienne is still my girl. Don't even look at her!

I thought this was the weakest of the season so far, sadly. There were a few scenes we could do without (Robb's sexy time, Theon's sexy torture), and some of the other scenes seemed only to be there to stretch the Material until next season (the Bronn and Tyrion chatter, Margaery telling Sansa there's good about her future wedding).

I just felt there wasn't as much content.

I gave it a 7. I like the way Robbs story has been going the past couple of shows. Jons story has been picking up to the past couple of weeks as well. I do not think that filming in Iceland is really working out and that has been hurting Jons arc so its good that they are out of there. The Gendry and Mel scene was good as was Ser Jaimie and Breinnes. Nothing else really stood out and the good stuff did not stand out that much but there was really nothing bad.

As to the "foisting" thing, the other writers are all present at the outlining sessions and deeply involved, but GRRM isn't. He literally is given the outline that they have created for him without any direct input into the outlining process on his part, so I think it's fair to say that he has a unique position as a writer on the show, one where he is much more clearly not a part of the creative process than Benioff, Weiss, Cogman, and Taylor are.

Do you know much they force on him or freedom he has? In how, some scenes were just awful thus I don't want to imagine that George decided how they were framed.

David and Dan decide the order scenes go in, so that's largely their choice. We know for a fact that there has been some significant shuffling around in George's episode. His Eyrie scene has disappeared from this episode, while the bear pit is from David and Dan's episode. I suspect some other stuff may have been written by them as well. I assume this means some of GRRM's material has ended up in episode 8 instead.

As to the "foisting" thing, the other writers are all present at the outlining sessions and deeply involved, but GRRM isn't. He literally is given the outline that they have created for him without any direct input into the outlining process on his part, so I think it's fair to say that he has a unique position as a writer on the show, one where he is much more clearly not a part of the creative process than Benioff, Weiss, Cogman, and Taylor are.

George did seem to have a bigger hand in the first season... now one wonders what George's position is? Makes one wonder about that meeting a month or two back in Santa Fe with George by Benioff, Weiss, Cogman?

I am afraid I see things moving too fast for splitting SoS into two seasons. I really don't want to see a lot of Crows and Dragons dragged into season 4.

David and Dan decide the order scenes go in, so that's largely their choice. We know for a fact that there has been some significant shuffling around in George's episode. His Eyrie scene has disappeared from this episode, while the bear pit is from David and Dan's episode. I suspect some other stuff may have been written by them as well. I assume this means some of GRRM's material has ended up in episode 8 instead.

But does he get to pick the episode he wants to write? If so, why this one? It just felt like nothing happened.

How come Ygritte didn't know what fainting means, but she knew what silk is?

I thought the episode was pretty good... plot building. It was well done enough for what it was.

The bear scene was an utter disappointment though. I remember when I'd first read that scene in the book, how afterwards I'd vividly described it to one of my friends. But tomorrow at work there's no way I'll be talking about this scene at the watercooler. When I saw it was 9:54 and that scene still hadn't happened I had a bad feeling I'd be disappointed.

I bet all my non-reader friends are going to ask who the hell grabbed Arya in the woods. But then again, one of my non-reader friends once asked me why the Hound was afraid of fire... he'd never noticed the scars before. Yikes. Still, I liked Arya this episode, even if it was very rushed. Her scenes often disappointment me, tonight not as much.

Drogon gets all the screen time.