How would you rate episode 307?  

764 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I don't get it. The writers are fine with the be-headings, torture scenes, maiming, and fatal battle injuries, but god forbid they show a CGI bear getting killed with arrows.

EDIT: oops, I thought I was in the discussion thread, but still my point stands.

Edited by Tewks44

This is one of those episodes that if it I were to watch it in succession with the other episodes on DVD, it would rate higher, but as a stand-alone-once-a-week-episode, this was good. Of course episodes like these are going to happen when ASOS is split into 2 seasons, but it is better than the alternative.

Overall an 8.

FYI I do find it rather amusing that when the other episodes had weak moments people blamed the writers but with this episode some (keyword some not all) are blaming the producers for foisting this onto GRRM.

I will say if there is one thing that seemingly all of the writers seem to mess up IMO over the last few episodes is the order in which they show the scenes.

I couldn't agreee more. I don't understand the oredering in some of the episodes either. Cogmans episode was the only one where the order of the scenes felt right to me.

George did seem to have a bigger hand in the first season... now one wonders what George's position is? Makes one wonder about that meeting a month or two back in Santa Fe with George by Benioff, Weiss, Cogman?

I am afraid I see things moving too fast for splitting SoS into two seasons. I really don't want to see a lot of Crows and Dragons dragged into season 4.

I don't think we will see that, but I also think that the writers of the show need to know which characters are most important in future books in order to properly plot our their season. The way things seem to be going this year, next year seems like it will mostly be the second half of Storm, but with some Feast/Dance content (specifically, the Kingsmoot and Bran's stuff and possibly some Arya stuff) added in.

The problem is, so much of the main plot points rely on timing, so I don't see how they can possibly infuse too much Dance/Feast content into season four without completely ruining the timeline. Yeah, there will be changes, but they can't change the entire timeline of the series.

I'll give this one an 8. But without Dany it probably would get a 6.

Interestingly enough Dany's story has been the best this season, always picks up the action better when it's on the screen.

They seem the most engaging. Episode 4's ending has been the best zinger so far.

Well I like it better in the book than the RW.

I'm glad George wrote in the promise Jaime and Brienne made to Catelyn about returning the two Stark girls. I was afraid that was dropped since it was never mentioned in any of the other episodes. I gave it a 6 overall. I expected more from this episode and it reminded me of last weeks. A lot of jumping around and dialogue, but ultimately nothing really happened. Just set up. Hopefully the next episodes will benefit from the setup and they will be really good.

Not too impressed but any GOT episode is great as far as I am concerned.

1) I cannot stand much more of the Theon torture. It is really too much. Please make him just go away like the books did and resurface later. If we have to go through scenes of that in every episode I will really not want to watch.

2) Dany's scenes are the best this season - the sets rock and the dragons are fabulous. I really think her story line is being handled the best this season.

3) What did everyone think of Talisa saying she was pregnant? Does that mean that Jeyne is? Or will Talisa go to the RW and be killed, along with the pregnancy?

4) The Reeds are so important in the books and seem to be so diminished in the series....

I love Margaery and am glad they got an actress to play her who is perfect for the role.

The Purple Wedding can't come soon enough. Oh, I guess we have to wait another year for that.

Interestingly enough Dany's story has been the best this season, always picks up the action better when it's on the screen.

They seem the most engaging.

Couldn't agree more. Every single scene across the Narrow Sea has been fantastic, in my opinion. Sometimes in the books I didn't enjoy them quite as much as all the chapters in Westeros, but I love the scenes in the show. Well acted, well written, great sets, great plot movement. And so on.

I don't think we will see that, but I also think that the writers of the show need to know which characters are most important in future books in order to properly plot our their season. The way things seem to be going this year, next year seems like it will mostly be the second half of Storm, but with some Feast/Dance content (specifically, the Kingsmoot and Bran's stuff and possibly some Arya stuff) added in.

The problem is, so much of the main plot points rely on timing, so I don't see how they can possibly infuse too much Dance/Feast content into season four without completely ruining the timeline. Yeah, there will be changes, but they can't change the entire timeline of the series.

For me, in the novel , remember for me, the two best stories, the ones that engaged me the most were, Dany's and Arya's travels with the Hound. Behind those was Jon's story. Jamie's POV held my interest. I thought the rest was ok, always an entertaining read when GRRM is writing , even if later when you think about it ... well "that was a little bit goofy."

David and Dan decide the order scenes go in, so that's largely their choice. We know for a fact that there has been some significant shuffling around in George's episode. His Eyrie scene has disappeared from this episode, while the bear pit is from David and Dan's episode. I suspect some other stuff may have been written by them as well. I assume this means some of GRRM's material has ended up in episode 8 instead.

As to the "foisting" thing, the other writers are all present at the outlining sessions and deeply involved, but GRRM isn't. He literally is given the outline that they have created for him without any direct input into the outlining process on his part, so I think it's fair to say that he has a unique position as a writer on the show, one where he is much more clearly not a part of the creative process than Benioff, Weiss, Cogman, and Taylor are.

So the same was true for Blackwater then? He was given the outline for that episode and didn't have much to say about it?

Credit where credit's due. But the opposite is also true.

Yes, the opposite is true, and they were roundly praised in all corners for determining to make such a focused episode, last I recall. While, you know, getting rightfully pilloried for insisting on showing as much nudity as possible while they were at it, too.

It's David and Dan's show. When stuff is good, they deserve a good deal of the credit (as does GRRM for providing them the world). When it's bad, they deserve a good deal of the blame, as generally it's bad because of their choices rather than through any fault in the source material, I suppose. I think writers deserve the most praise when it comes down to dialog -- they may be told that they need a scene consisting of characters X, Y, and Z discusing topic A, B, and C, but it's the writer of the episode who actually decides how they go about it.

Edited by Ran

I liked it. Gave it a 9. Loved Dany's scenes. Loved Arya. Glad they're finally showing her going dark more bitter and angry. They should have showed the beginning of the bear fight. Do not care for Rob's Stark arc............but his body............. :drool:

The whore............. :frown5:

Jon is not looking so whimpish. And I've had enough of the Theon scenes for a good while. We get it.

Tormund was finally given proper characterization, that's good.

Talisa being pregnant... could have repercussions, since that is not confirmed in the book.

Theon's penis also wasn't confirmed, so now I can shove that into people's faces. :worried:

Nikolaj continues to impress, and Qyburn is as creepy as he needs to be.

10/10 most exciting episode of the season for a reader.

I don't get it. The writers are fine with the be-headings, torture scenes, maiming, and fatal battle injuries, but god forbid they show a CGI bear getting killed with arrows.

EDIT: oops, I thought I was in the discussion thread, but still my point stands.

agreed.. but remember how they had no problem shwoing the mountain beheading his horse in season 1?

I am quite disappointed since this was a grrm episode... the shae scene was too long and poorly executed, robb and talisa(argh) scene too stretched and somewhat useless, sansa scene totally worthless... I would be intersted to see where this gendry thing is going though.. arya is one of my favorite characters from the books and I feel this series has done her character a huge injustice starting at season 2.

did not care too much for the bear scene either.. from the tv serues scenes no one would feel briemne has any notable skills with swords.

why was the osha scene so freaking long? the point of the scene was the last 30 seconds.. the initial buildup was just waste of valuable airtime

edit: typos

Edited by Wyman_Manderly

did not care too much for the bear scene either.. from the tv serues scenes no one would feel briemne has any notable skills with swords.

LOL she had a wooden sword against a bear. They showed her besting Loras and Jaime, killing three Stark soldiers at once, and constantly remarking about how she's underestimated for being a woman. I think her combat prowess is quite obvious.

Ho hum. Liked the chain. Theon's maiming, well, that seems evident to me. Not sure I like it's 'confirmation'. And enough already. He gets screen time that takes away from other story lines.

Daenerys scenes good. Bear pit blah. Even within the each story, what transpires didn't seem cohesive.

I'm beginning to wonder if I could watch if the show outpaced the books. I'm not so sure now.

Yes, the opposite is true, and they were roundly praised in all corners for determining to make such a focused episode, last I recall. While, you know, getting rightfully pilloried for insisting on showing as much nudity as possible while they were at it, too.

It's David and Dan's show. When stuff is good, they deserve a good deal of the credit (as does GRRM for providing them the world). When it's bad, they deserve a good deal of the blame, as generally it's bad because of their choices rather than through any fault in the source material, I suppose. I think writers deserve the most praise when it comes down to dialog -- they may be told that they need a scene consisting of characters X, Y, and Z discusing topic A, B, and C, but it's the writer of the episode who actually decides how they go about it.

Could not agree more :)

I've just seen too many posts along the lines of "DD think they're better writers" or "GRRM can teach DD a lesson" as if the entire creative process of the whole show came down to who wrote a single episode.

That's why I couldn't resist my earlier post.