How would you rate episode 307?  

764 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

5. "Worst episode ever". Boring, poitless, and ****s up Robbs (and now Jons) plot worse than before, impossible that achivement seemed at this point. Dragons were the only few seconds worth watching.

Edited by _Oberyn_

Definitely a solid 8. The most important part of this episode was adding some of the original characterization into these characters. That is the thing I look most forward to when George R.R. Martin writes an episode.

The other writers sort of understand the characters, but they're ALWAYS missing something or pandering to a trope that makes them seem one-dimensional.

When George writes an episode, you can tell, because the characters seem to come alive again. Daenerys was more self-assured, and there was a good emphasis placed on her actual motivations for taking over these cities. Robb was FINALLY given a younger, more playful nature.. We actually see that he is a YOUNG man here. They've been overplaying his brooding, stoic persona.. He felt much better here. Catelyn stood up for herself in at least a SMALL way! Some of her defiance and intelligence shone through a little bit. Jon and Ygritte's relationship was finally portrayed as well as it was in the book. Made me like Ygritte a whole lot more. Brienne actually felt like Brienne, more reserved and kind rather than the hotheaded brash female that's been shown so far.. Sansa was given a much more faithful characterization this episode as well.

The bear scene was a little dull..

All in all, just great :). I wish they could write the characters as well as George, but they just seem to miss so much nuance.. I wish he could just write the entire TV series.

People have to keep in mind this episode didn't necessarily have parts of the story that were big plot points, and that happens sometimes. We're on the way to the red wedding. This episode was extremely necessary to add some good characterization, but I think those with an attention deficit needed some action to satisfy them.. The bear scene could have delivered that, but failed.. Not George's fault, blame D&D for writing that in.

Edit- I feel like George is necessary for these one off episodes, at the very least, because despite all of their changes, he sort of kicks the story back into orbit.. They can stray from the original characters to a certain point, but he helps to reroute them into the positions they need to be for the big payoff at the end. This was definitely what I needed to prepare for the Red Wedding :).

Edited by Rocketshoes

Definitely a solid 8. The most important part of this episode was adding some of the original characterization into these characters. That is the thing I look most forward to when George R.R. Martin writes an episode.

The other writers sort of understand the characters, but they're ALWAYS missing something or pandering to a trope that makes them seem one-dimensional.

When George writes an episode, you can tell, because the characters seem to come alive again. Daenerys was more self-assured, and there was a good emphasis placed on her actual motivations for taking over these cities. Robb was FINALLY given a younger, more playful nature.. We actually see that he is a YOUNG man here. They've been overplaying his brooding, stoic persona.. He felt much better here. Catelyn stood up for herself in at least a SMALL way! Some of her defiance and intelligence shone through a little bit. Jon and Ygritte's relationship was finally portrayed as well as it was in the book. Made me like Ygritte a whole lot more. Brienne actually felt like Brienne, more reserved and kind rather than the hotheaded brash female that's been shown so far.. Sansa was given a much more faithful characterization this episode as well.

The bear scene was a little dull..

All in all, just great :). I wish they could write the characters as well as George, but they just seem to miss so much nuance.. I wish he could just write the entire TV series.

People have to keep in mind this episode didn't necessarily have parts of the story that were big plot points, and that happens sometimes. We're on the way to the red wedding. This episode was extremely necessary to add some good characterization, but I think those with an attention deficit needed some action to satisfy them.. The bear scene could have delivered that, but failed.. Not George's fault, blame D&D for writing that in.

Edit- I feel like George is necessary for these one off episodes, at the very least, because despite all of their changes, he sort of kicks the story back into orbit.. They can stray from the original characters to a certain point, but he helps to reroute them into the positions they need to be for the big payoff at the end. This was definitely what I needed to prepare for the Red Wedding :).

Yup, I am 100% in agreement with you, this is the episode that pulled all the characters who either started off wrong or drifted away from their intended persona, back into their correct state of mind and motivation. This is the first scene all year I actually liked Robb. This is the first time all year I actually believed Jon/Ygritte are in love. This is the first time since Brienne was introduced that I bought her. Melisandre also got some much needed background to explain her motivation. That's why I gave this a 9. This episode had characterizations galore and they were done right.

Gave it a 7 but I thought it was about on par with last week in personal enjoyment (last week's was a 6 for me).. Hearing a Tormund "Har Har" and a bit more in depth Jon Snow development was one thing I really enjoyed.

I've re-watched the bear pit scene and I agree with the consensus but on the other hand I understand that they're working with Bart the Bear and they can't really keep him on set for 17-hours to get the thing perfect (I also imagine he's quite expensive) so it's understandable.. Jaime's "sorry about the sapphires" certainly redeemed it a bit.

As much as I've enjoyed Iwan's Ramsay portrayal and Alfie's acting I do think the scene was just too long tonight - the girls interaction with him could've been simplified however, his reluctance at first (and then caving) made me immediately think of Reek thinking everything is a trap and everyone that talks to him is doing so because Ramsay is playing a game with him - it plays into the development but again, it was just too long. I'm glad they faded out before any gratuitous violence occurred because that has gotten old now that we've seen what 'Boy' enjoys to do.

Osha's story was meh but I think it will lead to her and Rickon splitting off from the group (perhaps they'll get to The Wall before they do that) but it's obviously clear now she isn't going any further.

So anyway, it's good television and sometimes lurking the forums here all week get's my expectations a bit too high each week.. it wasn't a bad episode but I can understand why some aren't thrilled with it.

my ratings this season ep1(8) ep2(5) ep3(6) ep4(9) ep5(10) ep6(6) ep7(7)

I give it an 8. I thorougly enjoyed it. A lot of CGI in this episode with the dragons, King's Landing shot and Yunkai. Brienne vs the bear gave me chills. My brother put his hands over his eyes. He thought she was going to die a grizzly death. :D

I think it was ok from the standpoint that it gave all the characters more life and depth. Including OSha. However it was clearly an episode that was filled with set ups for future episodes. I do th that Talisa being pregnant and George having written this episode is of some plot significance to the books. Overall though, I'd say a 6.

Six.

Some great bits, and some that were definitely not so great. Dany is not my fav character, nor my least favorite, but she definitely made me happy this episode. While I think she can be somewhat of a fool sometimes, at least she appears to be using her head and displaying leadership. And I'm always up to see the dragons.

I have not complained about Theon's torture scenes thus far, but this episode with the women was a bit ridiculous and time consuming. But I'm over it. You'll see no more complaining from me on this.

Overall GoT is great television, and this episode was by no means horrible, but it was by no means the best either. This episode was just a windmill...in two episodes we'll have a magnificent Winterfell tower of an episode. Or at least it better be magnificent. This episode by GRRM...I was expecting just a bit more, so hopefully episode 9 doesn't let me down. I was expecting 8 be slow, and 7 to hold me over until ep 9 since it would be done by George himself. Alas, this did not happen. Fingers crossed for episode 8 and 9.

If it weren't for NCW's scenes, the Rains of Castamere on cello ending the episode, and some stellar acting from Iwan, Alfie, Richard Madden and Rose Leslie this episode would have rated a 5. As it is, it rated a 6.

The writing was less than mediocre. Some of the worst 1-1 scenes of the season - a shocking let down, really - and possibly the worst Bran segment of all.

The Bear scene was good but let down by the director's choice of camera angles, and the editing.

Again, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's performance is the highlight, as he has consistently been this year.

ETA:

The actor who plays Qyburn get a special mention for some wonderful line delivery. I want to see more of him.

Edited by Sun

I give it a solid 7. Not great, but not bad either. I loved the Dany scene in Yunkai. Seeing all 3 dragons together was cool. I liked the Jon and Ygritte scenes. I actually am really liking what Rose Leslie has done with Ygritte. I never really cared for her much in the books. The Tywin and Joffrey scene was good as well. Charles Dance certainly is one of the best actors on the show.

Slightly better than last week - I give it a 6.

I think some of the changes from the books are too drastic (Gendry and Mel, Talisa pregnancy reveal, and whitewashing Tyrion at the expense of developing Sansa afer all she's been through!).

My biggest disappointment is that they appear to be spending less time on the plot lines that I was looking forward to, such as Jamie and Breinne fighting the bear together, Arya's journey with the Hound, and the foreshadowing leading to the RW. I'm going to guess that next week's wedding will be rushed as well and, judging from the convo between Marg and Sansa, it won't be as devastating for Sansa as in the books.

Having pointed out the negatives, I do think the changes give readers a reason to watch. Also, I really liked Dany in this episode. I'm not much of a fan of hers in the books because I think she lets her weaknesses get the better of her - like getting bogged down in Slaver's Bay - but in the TV version I got a better sense of her reasoning, as well as her intelligence, and strength. Her scenes were the ones I liked the best in this episode.

5. It's a difficult episode on which to even comment because so little happened

The Theon scenes are now just repetitive, and frankly quite boring. What was even the purpose of the scene? No events of significance, and no character development.

umm because fans of the books have been wondering for years if theon had balls anymore or not, dont find it boring at all

I give it an 8. I thorougly enjoyed it. A lot of CGI in this episode with the dragons, King's Landing shot and Yunkai. Brienne vs the bear gave me chills. My brother put his hands over his eyes. He thought she was going to die a grizzly death. :D

LOL I SEE WHaT YOU DID THERE

I watched it twice. At first, I thought 8, but decided on 9. A lot of set up for future events occurred in this episode. There are some curious departures from the books, but I am assuming that since GRRM wrote this episode, it will work out. I'm glad to see the Hound back in action. He has to be my favorite character.

One thing, I did find odd. In the credits, the bear is listed as Bart the Bear. Bart the Bear, died Ten years and two days ago. It has to be Bart Jr., his son.

This was my favourite episode since Blackwater. Gleeson was phenomenal. Clarke was stunning. Jaime's parting words to Locke and the version of Rains at the end was kick ass.

Only thing I wondered about was Drogon cooing with Dany instead of Viserion but oh well. He's the star.

10/10