Jon snow scenes , discussing sex and relationship drama

Off the top of my head.

Sansa scene, discussing sex

Theon scene , sex

Robb scene , sex + relationship drama

Tyrion scene , relationship drama

Jon snow scenes , discussing sex and relationship drama

Off the top of my head.

Only two scenes qualify as "sex" Theon and Robb/Talisa scenes.

I didn't know discussing sex qualified as having sex, well now I know. Thank you :cheers:

I liked the episode and I have no problems with it being slow. Sure it gets a bit worse when you see one episode per week, which is a pretty bad way to watch a TV series in my opinion (I only do that on shows that I absolutely can't wait for, which are very very few ones), but it's good in a way since so many people these days need to learn patience. The generation of entitlement is growing up.

Just because the plot isn't advanced in every scene doesn't mean that it's bad in my opinion since this pace allows things to breathe and not suffer as much from the higher tempo of the TV medium. Still the episode had a few big character moments, especially for Jaime who took an enormous step. Jon also continued what he started a couple of weeks ago and has cheered up from his very brooding personality and this was one of the best episodes for him in the entire series. Funnily enough people still seem to think that some characters are written wrong, even when George is writing them, which is fun.

There's a difference between allowing "things to breathe" and just filling an episode with filler scenes.

I also still chuckle at how uncomfortable some viewers seem to be with nudity. Personally I don't care especially either way (neither offended nor aroused, it's just there like everything else) and I really hope the remnants of the old religious yoke on our society continues to lessen up. Nudity should be far more natural to watch than violence.

From what I can tell, the majority of complaints are about how the nudity is gratuitous and shot from the perspective of the "male gaze". If the nudity felt natural and was equal between genders, I'm sure there would be less complaints.

The same is true with the violence - as far as I can see, MORE people are complaining about the violence in Theon scenes than any of the nudity. So maybe you should reconsider your argument.

Did I claim it was a hierarchy? All I said that majority of bad reviews come from people who have a small number of posts indicating new users who have different and misguided expectations of what the show is producing. Don't get all defensive dude I just made an observation.

And thank you, I take great pride in my large number of posts lolol

Did I claim it was a hierarchy? All I said that majority of bad reviews come from people who have a small number of posts indicating new users who have different and misguided expectations of what the show is producing. Don't get all defensive dude I just made an observation.

And thank you, I take great pride in my large number of posts lolol

Being a new user has nothing to do with the expectation on the show...i have read all the books and am fully aware of what to expect from the series, however this episode just seemed to be a filler episode. Its true there is not much you can do in 50 minutes, so when every minute counts its a shame to see alot of it wasted

I feel i could have missed this episode and watch next weeks without really feeling lost

I'll give it a 6. Maybe I had the bear scene built up too much in my head. I understand there is only so much one can do on TV with a bear and not endanger the actors. It wasn't even that the bear was too trained looking, it was that the scene was so rushed and dialogue was left out. Jaime just kind of jumped in, bear got shot, climb out.

I'm also done with the Theon torture. Can we move him to cell already? Does it have to be in every ep? We've had eps without Dany, Jon, Arya... I think we can skip a Theon torture scene one week.

Dany, Arya, Tyrion, Tywin/Joffrey, Jaime and Brienne's parting, and Mel/Gendry were good. I am interested to see where they are going with Gendry since it's a book departure. Robb and Talisa - acting was fine, writing OK, but it's making my head hurt that she's pregnant. Also Cat is too grim already.

Only two scenes qualify as "sex" Theon and Robb/Talisa scenes.

I didn't know discussing sex qualified as having sex, well now I know. Thank you :cheers:

They qualify as "relationship drama" I've repeated the line several times, I'm surprised you missed it.

You know the kind you find in a 13 year olds fanfiction? yea, that kind.

There's a difference between allowing "things to breathe" and just filling an episode with filler scenes.

That difference is probably called personal opinion. I saw a lot of things that either developed characters or showed which direction things will go.

From what I can tell, the majority of complaints are about how the nudity is gratuitous and shot from the perspective of the "male gaze". If the nudity felt natural and was equal between genders, I'm sure there would be less complaints.

The same is true with the violence - as far as I can see, MORE people are complaining about the violence in Theon scenes than any of the nudity. So maybe you should reconsider your argument.

I don't think I have to reconsider anything. The very reason people call nudity gratuitous must be because they don't feel completely comfortable with it. In this episode it was there because we saw a scene between two people that love each other (such people tend to be naked with each other pretty often when they are alone) and one scene where a person is being tortured using sexuality to lead into the horrible part. Those are clearly reasons why people were nude. Just as with any scene you don't have to like them but just brushing it off as gratuitous indicates what I've referred to. Otherwise you can say that everything is gratuitous since every single scene and story could be something else in theory.

Easily the worst episode of the season. Half the scenes consisted of inane dialogue going on for far longer than it should. I honestly thought Martin may be trolling us at times, trying to find the worst most cringe-worthy lines possible. Ygritte not knowing what fainting and swooning means? WTF? Shae's "Let's run away, Tyrion" stuff? Melisandre's "OK, let's stop right next down from the Red Keep to admire the view, it's not like I work for an attained traitor or anything...".

Dany's stuff was good, NKW showed great acting as usual, but that's pretty much it on the plus side.

They qualify as "relationship drama" I've repeated the line several times, I'm surprised you missed it.

You know the kind you find in a 13 year olds fanfiction? yea, that kind.

What you call relationship drama, I and most people who've read the books would consider character exploration and expansion. The Talisa/Robb scene was necessary to introduce the pregnancy arc that will come into play in future seasons. The Jon scenes were necessary to set up and heighten the emotional impact of what happens it the final episodes. Same goes for Tyrion/ Shae for what happens next season (although I hate everything about Shae, the character).

I'm not familiar with 13 year old fan-fiction, maybe you can enlighten me one day :)

One thing I didn't like was the logistics of Mel and Gendry going past the Red Keep, It's pretty much a huge detour into enemy territory. They could've just figured out another way to tell Gendry that his dadddy was the King without having to show KL.

What you call relationship drama, I and most people who've read the books would consider character exploration and expansion. The Talisa/Robb scene was necessary to introduce the pregnancy arc that will come into play in future seasons. The Jon scenes were necessary to set up and heighten the emotional impact of what happens it the final episodes. Same goes for Tyrion/ Shae for what happens next season (although I hate everything about Shae, the character).

I'm not familiar with 13 year old fan-fiction, maybe you can enlighten me one day :)

I guess that's just where you and I disagree.

I think things have already been set up nicely for future events and that most of these scenes were just unnecessary, not to mention poorly done.

Edited by Ambria

9 for me! Only blemish I saw on an otherwise fantastic episode was now I really am coming around to the thought that... it's enough with Theon. We get it.

I think they had to show that he lost his manhood. Now I expect the Theon scenes to die down, maybe one more in the last three shows.

I guess that's just where you and I disagree.

I think things have already been set up nicely for future events and that most of these scenes were just unnecessary.

Well, have to remember that they are trying to keep the non-readers up to speed and sometimes in a show like this it needs to be driven home. We need to know how much in love with Talisa Robb is, and the same with Jon/Ygritte for future events to have an emotional effect.

Character dramatisation is needed to their expansion I agree, but i think the writers have lost it along the way. I mean, if you watch the first 2 episodes of the first season and compare them to the last 2 ones, you'll notice the change. I think the show has lost it's subtlety in characterisation.

My problem with this is that i can't stand overdramatisation, as has been showed here.

Ned and Cat didn't even tell each other how they loved him/her as much as characters now do, you could tell the hatred of Cat towards Jon only by her looks (and how she tells him to go away and leave comaBran in that magnificent scene) And you could even see how Jon feels like an outsider there by the way how his 'stepbrothers' treated him.There's no need to state all the time how somebody loves someone, or as Orell does, tell Ygritte that John isn't one of them.

I don't know, it's only my opinion, but i like much more the subtlety, and the feelings behind the action the show had before than this overt love-expressions there are now.

Edited by Lord over Seas

I gave it a 7/10; at best a mixed bag and in retrospect about on par with last week. Despite a few standout scenes, the remainder of the episode seemed filled with overlong, somewhat awkward bits that did little to convey any forward momentum in most of the storylines.

Liked:

The bear and the maiden fair - One of the most memorable scenes from the book was translated in a believable and visceral fashion here. Gwen Christie continues to nail her portrayal of Brienne perfectly, and damn if Jaime's heroic moment didn't bring a single teardrop to this cynical eye. Locke (who's turned out to be a great villain and admirable stand-in for Vargo Hoat) was great as usual, although a part of me hoped that somehow he would end up in the pit himself by the end. And of course, Bart the Bear did an awesome job too. :)

Daenerys and the slaver - Great work on all fronts. The slaver had some fun reaction faces, but in all honesty he had more guts than I would've being in that close proximity to the dragons! I also liked these bits because it's important to show Daenerys having a motivation to hang around in Essos, i.e. liberating all the slaves she can. This will help in future seasons when folks wonder why the fuck she hasn't already sailed west.

Gendry and Mel - Maybe it was a little weird for them to be sailing out of King's Landing (though not really, who in KL knows either one of them?) but it provided some beautiful shots and was a nicely played scene to set things up for later. No complaints at all.

Tywin & Joff - The symbolism of Joff demanding a meeting with his powerful grandfather while sitting the Iron Throne couldn't be lost on anyone. Even so, Tywin dominated the room simply with his presence, and Joff, who rarely backs down, did exactly that. More setup, but well done.

Jaime/Roose - My regards. Also liked Jaime's banter in his scene with Qyburn and Steelshanks.

Tyrion/Bronn - Typically excellent work from these two.

Tyrion/Shae - Not a particularly exciting scene but a necessary one. Good stuff.

Didn't like:

There weren't any particular scenes where I disagreed with the subject matter (not even the Theon scene). Rather, a general complaint. Many of the scenes just felt bloated and far, far too long.

- The Talisa/Robb sequence I had no problem with, until it dragged on for what, 5 minutes? What could have been a cute and fun scene with a nice reveal (Talisa's pregnancy) dragged on until it became a chore with only butt-shots for redemption.

- Did we really need a 3-minute story about wights from Osha? I think everyone gets the drift about those guys by now. At least now we have the definitive reason why she's so paranoid about heading north, and thus why she doesn't trust the Reeds. I still can't quite figure out how they're going to split she and Rickon off from the others.

- The aforementioned Theon scene would have worked fine for me had the setup with the whores been handled more quickly. I actually got so bored during this scene that I checked the time on my phone, which I never do while watching this show. Again, no problem with the subject matter (I believe the next time we see Theon, he'll be full-blown Reek, and it's important to know how he got there else the transformation wouldn't make sense).

General comments:

I still think the series is giving Edmure extreme short shrift; he barely had any lines in this episode. By the time the RW gets here, non book readers may be wondering what the big deal is.

Next week's preview looks brilliant. Hopefully after two weeks of decidedly slow-burning setup, things finally start to roll downhill.

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

7/10

I'm very disappointed with the whole episode. The bear pit scene was great since, for me, it showed more of Jaime's hero tendencies and it's a huge emotional arc for him. That, and the decision that he will fulfill the oath he swore to Catelyn Stark before he left the northern camp last season. Another great scene was the "Snowgrette" scene when Jon finally showed how much he cared for Ygritte when he finally told her that Mance's plan is going to fail. (I also love boys who know their history so heyyy Jon).

Bran's scenes were like fillers, made only to fill up some gaps. Nothing very important going on aside from the fact that Jojen stated that they are actually going beyond the wall.

It's not that the episode was bad but when you compare it to how great EP 4 and EP 5 were, I kinda wish that 307 could have offered more. It has the capacity to be a great episode but it fell short.

One thing I didn't like was the logistics of Mel and Gendry going past the Red Keep, It's pretty much a huge detour into enemy territory. They could've just figured out another way to tell Gendry that his dadddy was the King without having to show KL.

I guess they did it to make the scene more dramatic: It's more epic to say Gendry's father was the ruler of such a Castle, than just telling him somewhere else. And the impact this new has in Gendry is greater i think, since this way he sees the city he's always lived from a different point of view. (That of a prince)

Did we really need a 3-minute story about wights from Osha?

It was only half that long (the whole scene was maybe 4 minutes, Osha's story less than half of it). But I think you answered your own question, about how they're going to split Osha off: she just outright motivated why she's going to refuse to go beyond the Wall. My only questions now are how/why she's taking Rickon with her, and why she doesn't take him to Castle Black as she claims she means to do presently.

It was only half that long (the whole scene was maybe 4 minutes, Osha's story less than half of it). But I think you answered your own question, about how they're going to split Osha off: she just outright motivated why she's going to refuse to go beyond the Wall. My only questions now are how/why she's taking Rickon with her, and why she doesn't take him to Castle Black as she claims she means to do presently.

I'm guessing that seeing the wildlings at Queenscrown will convince her that Castle Black isn't safe.

Edited by PatrickStormborn