How would you rate episode 307?  

764 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it a 7. A decent episode of Game of Thrones, but a very mediocre episode by Martin's standards, far to slow and without direction. Fortunately it was redeemed by the Bear-pit and awesome dragons.

I gave it an 8/10, but would have deducted a .5 from the total score if the option was there (7.5/10 or a B-). I watch each episode twice before deciding what to give it, and I definitely enjoyed this one much more upon a re-watch. That said, it felt like the least cohesive episode of the season. I don't take any issue with changes from the source material, so that's not a big deal for me on any front, but I do hope that Catelyn is given some more screen time prior to the Red Wedding. I don't even care if it happens in that episode, but I really love Michelle Fairley in the role and would like to see her given some more to do. I'm also glad that this is likely the last time this season we'll spend any significant amount of time with Theon & "Boy". I agree with the decision to keep Theon involved in the story line, and I've quite 'liked' how it has been handled so far, but I think the only thing left to gain from these scenes will be the reveal of the identity of the person torturing Theon. The bear pit was great, and the scene between Tywin and Joffrey was also great. All in all, definitely the weakest of the season to date, but the positives heavily outweighed the negatives. Just on a visual and aural front, this episode was fantastic, so I don't really get all of the 1/10 votes...

Gave a 6 , Tired of Theon torture now , this weeks is the first episode that I haven't immediately rewatched upon the end credits this season , very disappointing since this is one of the episodes I was most looking forwards to.

I am just trying to imagine how low the ratings for this episode would have been if Benioff and Weiss hadn't decided to shift the "Bear Pit" sequence into this episode? its doubtful that sequence was even written by George.

I am fine with any changes to the source material is fine as long as its smart, believable to the world of Ice and Fire, and dramatically rich, unfortunately, so many of the changes fail to meet any one of those criteria. I gave it a 3 out 10.

Edited by pleonasm

I thought this was the worst episode of the show yet. I can't believe GRRM wrote this.

My main critic is the direction and photography, probably the worst yet. Some stuff looked like they were shot with an amature camera man, or a tv day time flick. If you compare it to the previous two it's really the lowest of the low.

Just bad. Gave it a 2.

7/10. No great scenes, but plenty of good ones. A significant improvement on the last episode.

The Robb and Jon Snow scenes were well-written for the first time in a while. The KL material was solid, especially Tywin/Joffrey. I enjoyed the Dany scenes as well.

Downpoints were the Theon scenes with unnecessary nudity and the Arya scene, which felt rushed. Unlike most, I actually liked the bear scene quite a bit, I only wish they had included "I dreamt of you."

Edited by The Monkey

Ha, so much this. I forgot to address Ygritte in my comments, but good grief has she ever gotten boring. At this point in their relationship, you'd think she'd be past mocking every fucking word out of Jon's mouth.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who was finding Ygritte to be over the top (so to speak) in her negative, derisive comments to him. Any guy I've ever known would put up with about 1/10th of the raking she's given him through the course of their relationship. If I were given to psychoanalysis for fictional characters, I'd say either he doesn't have very good self-esteem or he's used to being treated like crap because of the way Catelyn treated him throughout his time at Winterfell, or both. Or maybe he just has colossal patience with women, but that would be a stretch even for the most saintly man among us.

Their relationship is turning into the old idea about "Why do the nice guys always seem to end up with the mean girls?"

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who was finding Ygritte to be over the top (so to speak) in her negative, derisive comments to him. Any guy I've ever known would put up with about 1/10th of the raking she's given him through the course of their relationship. If I were given to psychoanalysis for fictional characters, I'd say either he doesn't have very good self-esteem or he's used to being treated like crap because of the way Catelyn treated him throughout his time at Winterfell, or both. Or maybe he just has colossal patience with women, but that would be a stretch even for the most saintly man among us.

Their relationship is turning into the old idea about "Why do the nice guys always seem to end up with the mean girls?"

There's also the angle that if he wasnt sleeping with Ygritte, it would be really suspicious, since he's meant to be breaking his Nightswatch vows.

This episode should have been awesome. Now I'm not so sure that the last few episodes will deliver...

Just because we had two slower episodes? Episodes 3, 4, and 5 were pretty good, so why all the pessimism? I may be completely wrong about this, but I'm positive that the lack of WOW moments is what made these last two episodes less interesting.

I gave it an 8 just because.

Live-blogging:

Ygritte is an irritating little shit. I think she and Dirty-Face Bird Man would make a great couple. Jon needs to smack that guy with a nice big sword, just like he did to Half-Hand. In exactly the same way. Hmph.

What is the purpose of the nudie scene with Robb and Florence Nightengale? Wasted film space. She could have told him in a 30-second scene, except I loved Blackfish's earthiness ("wet shit") - ewww. Keepin' it classy, Riverrun style.

Tormund is giving sexual advice to Jon Snow, who made Miss Annoying say "...oh!..." - what was the purpose of that scene?

Orell makes his move. Yay. Let that go somewhere, please. Let Ygritte realize Dirty-Face Bird Man is far and above superior to pretty Jon Snow, who after all, knows NOTHING.

Sansa, Sansa, Sansa. Don't believe anything the Tyrells say to you. Any of them.

Bronn - still one of my favorite characters. Love the guy, he lives by his own rules. Righteous. "You'll end up the most popular dead man in town." True dat.

Tywin beards the lion in his den. Wise, experienced grandfather head to head with psychopath grandson. Delicious. Joffrey whines about having to climb all those stairs, poor little puke. Aha, he's aware of Dany and her dragons. The thot plickens. Tywin talks history. Joffrey is impatient, petulant and rude, of course. That's just the kind of shithead he is.

Dany and her two advisors are plotting. Dang, Grey Worm could be King Obama's son, if King Obama had a son.

Here comes the High and Mighty Yunqai guy - Yurkhai zo Yunzak? - in his litter. Apparently he's a Wise Master. Ooh, presents. We love presents. She's still on the freeing the slaves kick. No, no, that's HER gold now. Go away. Now she wants his powerful friends.

Dany's no dumb blonde. I must say, that dress would win a Project Runway episode. Easily.

Oh, here we go. Shea and Tyrion, her boyfriend who's marrying someone else. She's got a tongue like a razor blade when she wants to. Vicious little ho, and I've got a bad feeling she's going to try to mess up the Sansa/Tyrion wedding. Or not. Poor Tyrion tries to placate her, but she's not having it. She's probably being a lot more realistic than he is about the whole awkward situation.

Mel - witchy poo - ultimate MILF, and Gendry, handsome bastard who's just discovering he's something quite different than he thought. Not one to be distracted from the goal, she once again beats the "I want your blood" drum.

Yay, Arya's back - with these two BwB clowns. They disappointed her - it's never wise to disappoint a woman warrior. I think they're about to find that out. She's got more sack than any of those guys, than all of them put together. Run, Arya, run! Oops, crap. The dog got her.

Jaime and Brienne, our pseudo-love story. Is friendship possible between a man and a woman? We covered that question in "When Harry Met Sally" but apparently it hasn't been done to death yet. Fond farewells ensue. Lord Bolton and Jaime exchange "regards" messages, and the Goat gives Jaime a hint at what's to come regarding Brienne. More thot plickening.

Poor Theon, we despise him, we pity him. He's been having a series of Very Bad Days, and probably wonders when it's going to end. So the two girls are a momentary distraction, but his bad days haven't ended yet. Poor, poor Theon. He's having a few alterations done.

I don't care if Ygritte can kill a deer. She still annoys the crap out of me. She's full of it and isn't half the warrior woman that is Arya, at half her age. Good for Jon Snow, finally telling Redheaded Bag of Wind the truth about their cause.

Osha knows about the White Walkers and is trying to let her companions know how dangerous they are. She knows it takes fire to stop them. Bran looks older each episode. The actor must have been going through a growth spurt during the filming of these episodes.

Qyburn is a vivisectionist, a right proper creeper, that one. Shudder. Jaime's recovery seems to be proceeding apace. He's still stuck on "My father..." this, my father that, however it did get him back to Harrenhall in time to help Brienne, so that's good.

"Sorry about the sapphires." Ha. Good parting shot.

absolutely love your commentary. Please do more.

Favorite was Jaime and Brianne/ when harry met sally.

Just because we had two slower episodes? Episodes 3, 4, and 5 were pretty good, so why all the pessimism? I may be completely wrong about this, but I'm positive that the lack of WOW moments is what made these last two episodes less interesting.

I'm not all that pessimistic - I have loved this season a lot. I was expecting episodes 7, 8, 9 and 10 to be fantastic but as it turns out episode 7 wasn't. Clearly my expectations aren't right, so I'm accepting that I may be wrong about episodes 8, 9 and 10.

I do still think they will be great...but I'm not so sure. My rankings so far:

Ep 1: 8

Ep 2: 8

Ep 3: 8

Ep 4: 10

Ep 5: 9

Ep 6: 8

Ep 7: 5

Edited by steiner

I gave it a 6. It was another set-up episode.

Tywin vs. Joff was perfect. My friend said to me, "Wow, Jaime always brings up his daddy." I responded by saying "Would you ever cross Tywin Lannister?" I think the scene of Tywin vs. Joff really showed who has been running the realm, who keeps people in line, who really has power in Westeros.

I am liking parts of Robb's story. I like how they are using his bannermen and Cat to show how foolish it was to marry Talisa. But I also hate how they take every opportunity to showcase their 'young, sexy babe' in Talisa. It is clear that Robb loves this woman, we understand that. We have since he married her. Her pregnancy does nothing, except makes me think she will be killed and that all of Jeyne Westerling's story has been cut for the future.

The Osha vs. the Reeds is annoying. Osha has witnessed Bran's powers (Bran and Rickon saw Ned in the crypts before hearing of his death), so it makes no sense that she is so suspicious of Jojen. IMO, Bran's scenes should be all content - deeper discussions about his powers, what is North, what is the 3EC, etc.

This was the first episode where Kit Harrington satisfied me with his acting. Unfortunately, the content of his scenes made no sense when compared to what they previously said. Ygritte would have slit Orell's throat. The wildlings are toned down. There is romance in them, but the show uses the Southern romance, rather than the wildling "stealing" type. Ygritte loved Jon because she respected him - his power, will, and in some ways his ignorance (I always saw it as her trying to break down his misconceptions of free folk, because she knew that deep down Jon did see them as people). TV!Ygritte is instead acting like a poor girl who needs her man. But then the content went poorly. They tried to bring up Jon's conflict - is he a free man or a black brother? - through Ygritte but it just was so poorly conveyed. It made it look like Ygritte was clueless as to where Jon's loyalties lie - where in fact it was always Jon who was confused. How did we so quickly go from Jon and Ygritte being "us vs. the world" back to "free folk vs. black brothers?"

Ramsay has been done wonderfully. My friend has no idea who the torturer is. But he recalls the horn outside of Winterfell. He just hasn't connected it to the Bastard of Bolton. It also shows us just how Theon becomes "Reek." We see that Theon has learned that any bit of happiness is just a trick. He can't enjoy anything because he knows, as Ramsay said himself, there is no happy ending.

I really hated the bear pit scene. It seemed rushed and lacked some real power of emotion. Reading the scene, you understand just how powerful the emotions are because it was a defining moment for Brienne and Jaime - it was the moment they sort of agreed "We're in this together - for real this time." It was the moment where we see Jaime's good side and his honor break through. This TV scene was rushed, and they decided to instead focus on the physical danger presented by the bear. I also was hoping Jaime would throw Locke into the pit.

I also expected Tyrion and Sansa's wedding to open this episode. I was surprised that it wasn't even in the episode. I did like one small thing though - hands of gold are always cold.

Overall just an okay episode. Really looking forward to the last few.

ETA: I totally forgot to mention this - I LOVED the shots of the dragons. What a great scene that was! I am so glad this show is finally getting the CGI bill it needs and deserves.

Edited by 7V3N

This episode should have been awesome. Now I'm not so sure that the last few episodes will deliver...

The only major moment was the Bear part, though. But even for a "slower" episode the dialogue just went in weird directions.

- Why did they decide to make Osha hate the Reeds? Every week it's the same...Osha is suspicious, acts a little crazy, nothing really happens. If they just got along they could actually insert some dialogue that's interesting.

- Then Sansa and Marg...I love both the actresses but surely Marg could've comforted her at the wedding.

- Blackfish telling everyone how much he hates Walder Frey while Cat says he's prickly...yeah we get it. I think it was a good thing to bring back up how much of a bastard he is, but how about some real dialogue and not something about wet shits. Let Cat speak as well.

- Does anyone really care about Orell's feelings at this point?

This episode was set up for a lot of powerful dialogue that sets up the epic finish. But instead we got some pretty decent seems and some just flat out awkward scenes where no one really said anything remarkable or impressive and everything just seemed like something we'd seen before. On the bright side E08 should have a ton of events occurring.

I was still entertained, but keeping my initial rating of 6 as a standalone episode.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

I think it was one of the best this season, yes, not much happened, but I think it was a awesome awesome episode.

It was absolutely brilliant, LOVED the Daenerys scenes.

My kneejerk reaction too was that it was one of the best this season, but eh, what do I know, I haven't read the books (well, midway through Book 1 but am not really sure I want to let fidelity to source material sway me from enjoyment of the show, so I'm not sure I want to finish it anytime soon...). It's kind of blowing my mind that people can say that nothing happened. lots of setup I agree, but I didn't feel like anything was terribly extraneous..maybe annoying (i.e Theon/torture, Robb/Talisa, but I see why they're doing it, and the nudity/sex doesn't bother me at all either). I was actually dreading the bear pit scene thinking it might be too brutal, but it was nicely done and while I would've loved to see Jaime toss Locke into the pit I loved that they choose to end it that way, with him sheathing his sword with disgust as the the Rains of Castamere began to play. I loved this episode! not the best but worth rewatching (as opposed to The Climb - the first GoT episode I had no desire to rewatch). and the DRAGONS.