How would you rate episode 307?  

764 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

i could have done with more actual fighting in the bear scene. and the theon scene was not exactly how i envisioned that, but i really liked seeing Dany surrounded by her dragons. this season they're finally getting her scenes right. i agree, the little exchange between Joffrey and his Hand was excellent.

I rewatched the episode and the first watch I had, I totally agreed with you. But while I'd love for a prolonged scene, from a totally neutral standpoint what the hell were they going to do? A man with 1 arm and a woman with a wooden sword. The idea was get the fuck out ASAP, which was a great idea. It was even suspending belief that Brienne was still alive by the time Jaime arrived. Lingering in the pit rather than just sprinting out ASAP would've been pretty stupid.

Haha sorry. I didn't intend to open this can of worms.

btw, when jamie's hand gets cut off and he's miserable, he never one thinks about his kids when he decides to live. He does it for cersei, tyrion, and his enemies. If he gave a crap about his kids, that would he the time to express it.

I gave it a five, but then I'm very critical with ratings. For me, a seven is really good. So...

1. Robb and Talisa

-Talisa is pregnant? This, for me, means she's going to die at the Red Wedding. At least, I hope she does, we already know she's there, and her escaping would be annoying as it would take away from the feeling of total devastation.

-Robb... no. The show has somehow found a way to ruin his amazing character. In seasons 1 and 2 he was awesome, Robb fan all the way, but this season I don't feel any of the respect for him I did last season. He needs another battle before the RW, one that brings back the old KITN feeling, but I suppose that's the point as he is in a period of steady decline and they need to show that.

2. Sansa and Marge didn't really bother me other than the fact that it felt a bit like filler.

3. Good parts: Tyrion. His scene with Bronn made me laugh, and I don't understand all the Shae haters. I love Shae, and it made me sad to see her turning her back on Tyrion.

4. Theon... just ugh. Gratuitous torture-sex is not GOT style and they need to stop. I don't mind the occasional torture scene to show what's happening to him, but this scene took it over the top. The naked girls were completely unnecessary and Ramsay couldn't redeem the scene this time with his good acting.

5. Mel and Gendry. The epic music wasn't necessary and they made too much of a deal out of him learning about his father. It just felt forced

6. Daenerys: I liked her scenes, and they were some of the better parts of the episode, but I feel like they could have had the Titan's Bastard in this episode, because the Yunkish slaver wasn't really exciting enough.

7. Bear Pit: best part of the episode. It was really well done considering what they had available, though I don't think it will remain as iconic a moment as it was in the books. I felt like I was watching real GOT again, though, so it was more than satisfying. A better ending, however, would have been Jaime pushing Locke into the pit. Overall, it was disappointing, and their lack of material is really becoming apparent. This episode had a few good moments, but really can't earn anything over a five. Next episode looks amazing though!

Been excited to see this episode 'coz our dear GRRM wrote it and my hopes were too high. I even told my friends that this would be one of the best episodes of the season. Turned out, it wasn't. One of my friends was expecting something that would cause to blow her mind and something she could talk about for the rest of the week. It was a quiet episode though (without the bear pit scene, it would just be like a soap opera thingy), and like the previous ones, scenes were repetitive (ex. Theon's torture and the two people talking and acting in front of the camera). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Give it a six.

Disappointing. I expected more from GRRM, although given the superb quality of "You Win or You Die" and "Blackwater," I think he was confined by the episode they gave him.

The divergences in the King-in-the-North arc are still compounding, as change begets change. In all honesty, the Red Wedding will be somewhat of a relief.

Margaery and Sansa's conversation was pointless. Instead of explaining how terrible a prospect the marriage would be for the North (especially if Robb were eliminated), it was all about Tyrion's rumored sexual prowess. Why?

Jon and Ygritte were amusing, as usual. Arya appears to be getting darker, which is long overdue. She cannot be the plucky tomboy forever. By now in the books she has already coldly slit a guard's throat. Jaime, Brienne, and the bear pit was wonderful, although some of the most memorable lines from the book ("Uou want her? Go get her!" "I only rescue maidens." "I dreamed of you.") were missing.

Agree about Theon and his manhood, but Talisa could have been lying to Robb about being pregnant. I have a feeling that they combined Jeyne Westerling from the Books with her mom and that Talisa is actually writing letters to Tywin and backstabbing Robb. No proof, just a hunch.

Ja, as she is always shown writing letters, as is Tywin. Good hunch.

Is it just me or did anyone else dislike Tywin's little smirk after owning Joff? I understand it, just didn't like it all that much. Tywin = dour.

edit - I would love a not-Jeyne (Talisa) backstab. Would finally make her character worthwhile.

Edited by OldGriff

Ja, as she is always shown writing letters, as is Tywin. Good hunch.

I wondered about that too, with her writing in a language that Robb cannot read. But, what would Talisa gain from this? Jeyne's mom in the book is trying to gain marriages, power, position, etc. So far Talisa's "Florence Nightingale" work and interests appear to be genuine. I'm waiting to see if (like Jeyne) she stays at Riverrun, or if she goes to the Red Wedding.

7/10.

- Jon felt like Jon.

- Dany was awesome.

- Jaime and brienne were awesome as always.

- The Joff I know and love was back :D and not that psycho monster they made of him in the last episodes :whip:

- Ygritte is sooooo annoying, more than in the books IMO. I can barely stand her.

The rest I don't want to talk about.............

I don't think we will see that, but I also think that the writers of the show need to know which characters are most important in future books in order to properly plot our their season. The way things seem to be going this year, next year seems like it will mostly be the second half of Storm, but with some Feast/Dance content (specifically, the Kingsmoot and Bran's stuff and possibly some Arya stuff) added in.

The problem is, so much of the main plot points rely on timing, so I don't see how they can possibly infuse too much Dance/Feast content into season four without completely ruining the timeline. Yeah, there will be changes, but they can't change the entire timeline of the series.

You do realize all the Theon scenes are from book 5 right? GRRM is already losing content from book 5 into season 3. If they continue sucking in Feast/Dance into Season 4, well GRRM needs to get really busy writing Song and take some time off writing all the other things.

I really hope (and expect) most of Feast/Dance will be compressed. It will be really easy to do, we had 200 pages of turtle and wilding armor descriptions in book 5, a single picture will cover all that unneeded description. The actual plot/character progression in book 5 is about 2 episodes worth of content.

You do realize all the Theon scenes are from book 5 right? GRRM is already losing content from book 5 into season 3. If they continue sucking in Feast/Dance into Season 4, well GRRM needs to get really busy writing Song and take some time off writing all the other things.

I really hope (and expect) most of Feast/Dance will be compressed. It will be really easy to do, we had 200 pages of turtle and wilding armor descriptions in book 5, a single picture will cover all that unneeded description. The actual plot/character progression in book 5 is about 2 episodes worth of content.

They may have been addressed in ADwD, but chronologically they would have happened in ASoS and AFfC. I don't think anyone is going to argue that Martin could easily fall behind the series if he doesn't pick up his pace, though.

On the other hand, We all want him to have the time he needs for an excellent end to the series. If he does fall behind, I will stop watching the show until I've read the last books.

Was tempted to give a seven but decided to be generous and give it eight. some wonderful stuff, especially the Daenarys scene, but slow to start and some scenes went on too long. I actually preferred last week's, which had a smoother sense of pace. That Theon scene was pretty much nigh unwatchable. An improvement, though to how the details of his torture are rushed past in the books. I wonder if they'll show the death of Vargo Hoat, though, which again is totally grotesque. Sorry, Locke.

Edited by The Killer Snark

You do realize all the Theon scenes are from book 5 right?

book 5 spoilers

Theon being tortured happens during book 3, but we don't see it, just hear about. Even before book 5, I've read some people thought he was dead. Didn't Robb (or was Cat?) received Theon's skin at some point of book 3? That's because he was being tortured. In book 5 we finally see Theon or what's left of him after the torture, when he returns as a character and pov.

book 5 spoilers

Theon being tortured happens during book 3, but we don't see it, just hear about. Even before book 5, I've read some people thought he was dead. Didn't Robb (or was Cat?) received Theon's skin at some point of book 3? That's because he was being tortured. In book 5 we finally see Theon or what's left of him after the torture, when he returns as a character and pov.

Reading the book, I had thought Theon was dead. Two of my buds thought the same thing after ACOK.

Just rewatched episode 5 and the difference in quality is really noticeable. In episode 5 the cuts from one scene to another are done really well. There's always something that makes one scene transition well into another, whether it's a line of dialogue, a character or a theme - and there are a lot of common themes. In episode 7, we just pan from one scene to another without any attempt at unity, so even though some individual scenes are really good (and some I have nitpicks with, and one, i.e. Theon's, sucks), overall it drags.