How would you rate episode 307?  

764 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Another 5, same as last week. Although I think I liked last weeks episode slightly more than this snooze-fest. By far the worst of the season.

Everything with Talisa = ugh

Jon/Ygritte had some actual decent acting for a change, but her dialogue made me cringe.

Was glad to see Tormund get a "HAR HAR" in there, and to show his less serious side.

Ok, so Orell just tried to kill Ygritte and Jon and now she is walking by him chatting casually... w t f?

Theon scene was fine with me. I don't understand people complaining about the torture scenes. In the books he was physically, mentally and emotionally broken down over and over again. It was a horrifically long and drawn out process to basically break him down to the core and rearrange his memories. No issues.

Jaime and Brienne scenes were good, except for the finale bear scene which the title of the episode was based on. I just felt that it was a bad scene. I didn't feel any sense of urgency or fear or danger. It was all very staged. Reminded me of a circus act.

Tywin/Joffrey was one of the sole good scenes of the episode along with Jaime and Roose trading regards.

Sansa and Margaery was just...uck.

Osha's story about the wight was an okay addition, but her little spat with Meera irks me for some reason.

I think this was the first episode that didn't keep my whole, undivided attention.

Really, really hoping the season finishes strong. If they screw up the RW I may riot.

Edit: Forgot about Dany scene. Was pretty solid. Loved her arrogance which turns out to get her in a deep pile of shit.

Edited by Snookson

I found this episode entertaining

-I didnt like the drawn out sex thing with theon (thats the kind of thing that fuels people's stereotypes of the show being one long sex scene)

-I really liked it when Jon was telling Ygritte that the wildlings would never prevail.

-For some reason I was bugged by the scene in which Jamie convinces the guy to take him back to harrenhall-The only reason I didnt like this was because the setting seemed to be somewhere about 2 miles from winterfell.

-Since grrm wrote the episode it seems like he might be answering some questions in the books that people have

(theon's wee getting cut) and (robb's wife being pregrz)

-I havent seen Dany in a while and feel bad that non-readers expect her to invade westeros any day now. he scene was great though.

-The bear scene seemed pretty good (albeit rushed) -It left a nice ending to the episode.

-They really need to explain what the wildlings are actually trying to accomplish (especially with that few soldiers)

-

I think that everyone who bashes the show needs to take a reality check and compare it to most anything else on TV..

Agree about Theon and his manhood, but Talisa could have been lying to Robb about being pregnant. I have a feeling that they combined Jeyne Westerling from the Books with her mom and that Talisa is actually writing letters to Tywin and backstabbing Robb. No proof, just a hunch.

I may be completely wrong about this, but I'm positive that the lack of WOW moments is what made these last two episodes less interesting.

IMO it hasn't been the lack of action and epic moments that's bogged down the last two episodes, but rather the interpersonal stuff that has been presented just hasn't been very interesting compared to what we're used to seeing. Contrast with Episode 5, which only had one true WOW moment (the Hound & Beric) yet was riveting all the way through - even the "slow" stuff - due to superior writing, direction and performances in those scenes.

I really liked the episode. I think it developed slowly....like the book. I am somewhat surprised by all of the posters generally very book first that are clamoring for action. I thought the Tywin/Joff scene was brilliantly done. Charles Dance does amazing things with placating facial expression. The Dany scene was total action and brilliantly done. I have actually enjoyed the building of Reek. The time they have taken to show his slow and systematic breakdown in a way the book never really showed. How does a man go from Theon to Reek? I think the dialog reflected some deeper aspects that may have been hurried over in the novels.

As for the Bear, I agree this wasn't ideal. However politics and money are what they are. We need to remember these are 2 separate mediums that have separate benefits and constraints. How would it have gone over from an animal rights standpoint if it was shot as written? I also think they used a HUGE portion of the episode budget to make that Dany scene pop....and they nailed it.

I rated it a 9

My kneejerk reaction too was that it was one of the best this season, but eh, what do I know, I haven't read the books (well, midway through Book 1 but am not really sure I want to let fidelity to source material sway me from enjoyment of the show, so I'm not sure I want to finish it anytime soon...). It's kind of blowing my mind that people can say that nothing happened. lots of setup I agree, but I didn't feel like anything was terribly extraneous..maybe annoying (i.e Theon/torture, Robb/Talisa, but I see why they're doing it, and the nudity/sex doesn't bother me at all either). I was actually dreading the bear pit scene thinking it might be too brutal, but it was nicely done and while I would've loved to see Jaime toss Locke into the pit I loved that they choose to end it that way, with him sheathing his sword with disgust as the the Rains of Castamere began to play. I loved this episode! not the best but worth rewatching (as opposed to The Climb - the first GoT episode I had no desire to rewatch). and the DRAGONS.

Just keep reading, book 3 is, in my opinion, the best book of them all, it is absolutely brilliant. And stay safe from spoilers, you're not even safe on this forum. I mean there are spoiler free sections but :P you're never entirely safe. Personally I got some spoilers from youtube videos while i started to read, and after I got them, I stopped watching anything GoT related on the internet for like 6 months(while i read all the books), and it payed off :P

and btw, Welcome to the forums! :)

Edited by Jaqen H'gcarl

That difference is probably called personal opinion. I saw a lot of things that either developed characters or showed which direction things will go.

I don't think I have to reconsider anything. The very reason people call nudity gratuitous must be because they don't feel completely comfortable with it. In this episode it was there because we saw a scene between two people that love each other (such people tend to be naked with each other pretty often when they are alone) and one scene where a person is being tortured using sexuality to lead into the horrible part. Those are clearly reasons why people were nude. Just as with any scene you don't have to like them but just brushing it off as gratuitous indicates what I've referred to. Otherwise you can say that everything is gratuitous since every single scene and story could be something else in theory.

The main problem problem I had with the Theon and Jon nude scenes is that the time could have been used in a much more productive manner. Its wasting precious time (which you admit we dont have enough of).

4 - mediocre at best

Twyin and Jeoffrey / Danny's scenes were a plus and I wasn't terribly disappointed by the bear sequence; everything else was underwhelming. This is a GRRM episode? Theon's sequence went on forever; Osha was pointless; I get the need to focus on Robb and whatshername now, so we can get more emotional when everything goes to hell on episode 9, but they could have cut that shorter.

To me this episode feels just like books 4 and 5: GRRM drifting away, losing interest, thinking about football instead.

Underwhelmed overall with season 3.

Theon scene was fine with me. I don't understand people complaining about the torture scenes. In the books he was physically, mentally and emotionally broken down over and over again. It was a horrifically long and drawn out process to basically break him down to the core and rearrange his memories. No issues.

Agreed entirely. I understand that what happened to Theon wasn't explicitly described in the books (as it was mostly contained in Theon's internal monologue, or mentioned by Ramsay), but I think that just wouldn't work on the tv series. The scenes are tough to watch, but Theon was brutalized by Ramsay. The tv series makes that very clear.

Another 5, same as last week. Although I think I liked last weeks episode slightly more than this snooze-fest. By far the worst of the season.

This.

And even the Joff/Tywin scene was awful. Joff's actor can be very good at times, but this was just terrible acting. Dance looked annoyed by having to put up with such an amateurish display rather than what his role demanded.

This.

And even the Joff/Tywin scene was awful. Joff's actor can be very good at times, but this was just terrible acting. Dance looked annoyed by having to put up with such an amateurish display rather than what his role demanded.

Joffrey was trying to act regal when talking to Tywin, which obviously didn't work. It was Joffrey's acting that sucked, not Jack Gleeson's.

Joffrey was trying to act regal when talking to Tywin, which obviously didn't work. It was Joffrey's acting that sucked, not Jack Gleeson's.

Gleeson was trying to act intimidated and insecure, but it was overdone to the point of ridiculousness, which leads me to believe he sucks at it - or he was told to overdo it because otherwise the audience won't get what's going on.

Either way, the scene could have been so much more.

THIS

The point of the scene was to show you that Joff's whole 'king act' didn't work on the man who really runs the realm. It went well with Jaime dropping Tywin's name multiple times. Tywin is just not a man you want to fuck with.

Even after a rewatch, I have to say: I am worried.

After E4 I was thinking, this was gonna be the best season ever.

Then came E5 and I was slightly disappointed, that it couldnt top E4.

Then came E6, which was only just good.

And now this? Yes, it isnt bad, but it was WAY below my expectations and hopes.

The hour went by fast, but somehow I had the feeling, hardly anything significant and interestening happened.

If the next one follows that trend, I might stop watching the show and just buy the DVDs and watch it in one go.

I wasn't too keen either on this one. 6 from me.

I liked:

Jon scenes

Jaimie scenes (I thought the bear stuff was alright)

I didn't like:

Theon and the whores. Just a very strange scene.

Joffrey/tywin scene. Such a waste of opportunity.

Shae and Talisa

"Lannisters send their regard"..... Why not just "send Robb stark my regards"? Why change it? It doesn't even sound right....

And in general it's all so slow. The book is like a roller coaster. But they managed to turn this in a bit of a snooze fest :(

Even after a rewatch, I have to say: I am worried.

After E4 I was thinking, this was gonna be the best season ever.

Then came E5 and I was slightly disappointed, that it couldnt top E4.

Then came E6, which was only just good.

And now this? Yes, it isnt bad, but it was WAY below my expectations and hopes.

The hour went by fast, but somehow I had the feeling, hardly anything significant and interestening happened.

If the next one follows that trend, I might stop watching the show and just buy the DVDs and watch it in one go.

Not sure if you have read the books. If you haven't, then let me say that this episode was FULL of significance.

Hated it. Worst of the season. I was so disappointed because I expected that GRRM would have done a better job.

I wanted to nut punch Robb for thinking with his dick and not listening to his mother. Talisa needs to put some clothes on. The Blackfish needs to STFU and listen to Catelyn.

Sansa has apparently forgotten the past year and a half and now tells her new BFF Marg (who is a card carrying member of the St. Tyrion Appreciation League) everything.

I don't even want to talk about MORE Theon torture. But I will bitch about the two naked women standing in the middle of a torture chamber (In the North! Aren't they cold? Go put some fucking clothes on!) getting their butts groped while the psychopath monologues. Really a crappy way to get more tits and ass and waxed areas more screen time.

Yet another Hound scene cut. Because apparently D&D hate the Hound.

And St. Tyrion the White. STFU. Stop whining about how Sansa and Shae are going to hate you. Yes, you and your father are forcing a physically and mentally abused child/hostage into marriage and you're whining about how she's going to hate you. Seriously? You can't figure out why? The scene with him and Bronn talking about fucking her was disgusting. And worse, that St. Tyrion whines about Bronn putting evil thoughts into his head.

Finally the bear scene. I've seen a better bear fight at the end of the movie Anchorman. "Bear fight!"

Jon/Ygritte, Dany and Jaime/Brienne were too little, too late. Just not enough to make up for the train wreck that was the rest of the episode.