Most Powerful Person in ASOIAF as of ADWD

Why does the cat in your picture look so depressed?

ETA - Most powerful person in terms of the GoT is Varys in my opinion

I know I am stupid for trusting a spy, but for some reason I dont think that Varys is out to gain power. I think that he knows that he isnt meant to sit on the throne, but to manipulate those that do. I actually see Varys as quite possibly telling the truth when he says he does what he does for the better of the realm.

I think that he could arrange a Targaryan Dorne alliance in the South and restore sovereignty to the North under one of the Starks. I think that Varys will play a part in taking down Littlefinger at some point before the story switches from the battle for Iron Throne to the battle with the Others..

Mace Tyrell or Aegon.

In order to actually be powerfull you have to be able to use your strength. Dany/BR/Littlefinger can't play their hands, they're in a bind at the moment.

Mace has effective control of the realm, the only serious threat being Aegon.

...Honorable mention to Khal Jhaqo. 20,000 Dothraki screamers isn't bad.

:agree:

I think that many of the aforementioned characters have each got powers that the others haven't. It's really spread out at the end of ADWD.

The High Septon has indeed the power to imprison Cersei but that's about it. He hasn't got the power to stand up to Euron: Mace Tyrell has that power. Also Mace can fight Aegon, no one else really can.

Euron (and Aegon) have got the power to hurt Westeros in the South. But they are really powerless to influence events in the North. Jon, Roose, Bloodraven, Stannis and Bran have more power up there.

It's all a bit confused in the North. If Stannis can take Winterfell and repair his forces there, he becomes the most powerful human entity in the North. Otherwise, if Roose/Ramsay win, then they become the most powerful up there.

Most powerful person in Essos is probably Dany. No one else can stand up to her dragons there. But we don't know whether anyone or anything can stand up to her dragons in Westeros. Maybe Melisandre? Maybe Sam?

Also dragons are not enough (see failed invasion of Dorne by the Valyrians).

If knowledge is pwoer, then yes, sure, Varys. Or even LF. But knowledge alone is not enough, otherwise acadmeics would be the most pwoerful people in the world today. Knowledge allied to an ability to strike is greater. LF hasn't demonstrated that he actually commands a significant army (loyalty of Vale lords to him is doubtful). Similarly, Varys is allied to Illyrio but again, do they directly control any significant forces? No. So their power is useless without an alliance to another power, and so they will have to make concessions.

GRRM has created a situation that is very realistic, as no-one has absolute power, just like in the real world. Alliances, sometimes uneasy ones, must needs (grrr) to be made.

The end of ADWD sees the Tyrell's at their absolute peak of power. The armies of the Reach are more or less fresh whilst the North, Iron Islands, Westerlands, Riverlands, and Stormlands have all been bled dry. King's Landing is utterly dependent on Highgarden for food due to the war. After the fall of Cersei, Tyrell's/Vassals now have the positions of Hand of the King, Master of Laws (Tarly), and Master of Ships (Redwyne). With Kevan and Pycelle dead, the last Lannisters/Lannisters loyalists are out of the way. The Tyrell family itself has been annihilated like the Starks, Tullys, Baratheon's, or Tully's have, though the incapacitation of Loras was a noted and significant first blow. In any regards, Ironically a semi-buffoon like Mace has risen to the most powerful position in the kingdoms almost flawlessly.

Of course, Dorne's entry into the war on the side of Aegon, Stormlords who side with him, and the GC will probably change this. Then there's the whole situation with Euron, with the Shield Islands overrun and Oldtown/Highgarden both under threat. GRRM is setting up for their fall.

Littlefinger is de jure lord of the Riverlands, de facto Lord of the Vale, and has a great deal of influence over one of the few remaining Starks. It'll probably all come crashing down at some point, but for the moment he's looking pretty powerful.

but that just sounds like a bunch of titles. It's questionable how much actual power he yields. He seems to have very little pull with the lords of the Vale, and I can't really confirm that he has armies he can wield at his disposal. His power seems to lie in the downfall of other people (Cersei, Lysa, Tywin etc.) I don't recall anyone swearing an oath to him, showing loyalty, or being obedient without question to his command (other than his household)

I think at this point, he merely has a lest of titles. If it came with actual power, it remains to be seen.

My first thought was Varys, but where is he anyways? hiding presumably...

fake Aegon is gaining some momentum as are the Martells, as the Lannisters and Tyrells are losing theirs. Also Roose seems to lose his grip on the North, as the northmen are closing in.

Overall I dont think anyone has a good grip on the realm at the moment.

Bloodraven seems to have a ridiculous amount of pull in the North, and Bran will surpass him. Littlefinger has the potential for quite a bit of power, and Varys is in a good position now.

Army-wise, it seems to go:

-Aegon

-Tyrells

-Daenerys

Dany is heading towards Vaes Dothrak where she will be proclaimed the Stallion who Mounts the World and unite all khalasars. She's also the only dragonrider in the world. So I think it's fair to say that she's the most powerful person.

She has a dragon. Maybe. That will probably be warged. Nuff said.

She has one dragon definitely. And I think it's most likely that only "unclaimed" dragons can be warged.

Archived