Most Powerful Person in ASOIAF as of ADWD

I want to say Mace Tyrell but I think it should be pointed out that Varys could probably have him assassinated rather easily. Ferrego Antaryon is another strong candidate, although he is probably soon to perish. Daenerys has all the potential in the world but she is surrounded by enemies at the moment and is dealing with a laundry list of problems.

There really is no easy answer to this question.

I guess, in terms of raw power, it's Dany. But she doesn't have a lot of political skills.

Best at behind the scenes: Varys (maybe Bloodraven)

In power right now, but surely going to lose it: Mace Tyrell

Varys and or Melisandre, i'd say.

Normally i'd put in a vote for the mighty Littlefinger, but at the moment he's only messing about in the Eyrie up to goodness knows what, but the only people he's really bothering to dominate are the lords of the Vale and Sansa.

Melisandre, to my mind is the power behind Stannis. Sure Dany's got an army and three pet flamethrowers but does she really know what to do with them? Stannis could lead an army, and you have to admit, what with glamour and demonbabies and the potential to raise the dead, Melisandre has a lot of party tricks at her disposal.

She has a dragon. Maybe. That will probably be warged. Nuff said.

Don't know where all this " she only has one dragon" stuff comes from. Last time I checked Rhaegal and Viserion are still alive and will be well guarded til she returns. And I'm sure there were wargs around during Aegon's conquest, how did that work out?

Hot Pie. Nuff said.

You make a strong enough case.

well i don't think hes the most powerful(not sure anyone is right now) i think Benerro has to be among the most powerful.

Hadn't really thought of him, but yes, you might be right.

Varys could end up being in a commanding position, though this would be largely dependent on the outcome of Aegon's invasion. Much the same for Littlefinger, as he is very much reliant on his plans in the Vale unfolding perfectly.

For me, it has to be The High Sparrow. With the following he has, he's almost untouchable and can thus afford to take a much greater role in the politics of the realm. Anyone who can afford to arrest the mother of the king has to be in a commanding position, added to which he is utterly ruthless and will do anything to achieve his aims.

I seriously hope GRRM expands on his role in TWoW. He's probably one of the most interesting new characters, and, one might argue, one of the most believable.

Maybe not quite at this moment, but I have a feeling tht Dany is about to become the most pwerful very soon, and will probably even stay that way to the end, or at least until near the end.

She already is liberating slaves, giving her high morale behind her ranks. Her followers adore her, even in her madness.

Also I think she is about to steal the Dothraki army that is about to catch up with her. Is it one of Drogo's ex bloodriders that she will kill and take command of his Khalisar? The Dothraki follow strength, and some of them will remember how strong she was a Drogo's wife, and will follow her again.

Don't know where all this " she only has one dragon" stuff comes from. Last time I checked Rhaegal and Viserion are still alive and will be well guarded til she returns. And I'm sure there were wargs around during Aegon's conquest, how did that work out?

We don't know. Torrhen bent the knee.

id say roose and doran both deserve honourable mention. while they aren't the most powerful, they are certainly powerful enough to have a big impact on the game. both are highly calculated in their moves. however, id agree with the arguments that Vary's and Littlefinger are the most powerful in terms of influence. we don't really know enough about the iron bank to make assumptions, but they are definitely up there. id tend to say olena is more powerful than mace, since she is much more calculated in her moves. Dany is certainly militarily powerful, but not a brilliant manipulator, and tends to be very straightforward with her moves. she has succeeded largely because of good advisors and brute force, which is arguably equivalent to "power". however, i think its questionable at best. the High Sparrow has a lot of influence with the commoners, which puts him ahead of them all. having control of the commoners is much more important than controling high lords, as the commoners outnumber them significantly. as he also has a military order now, who can train said commoners in warfare, he has the most potential power by far.

Archived