[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

My SO who hates the show and watches it for me (lol) thought the last few minutes with the bear were the most exciting. He seems to like Jaime recently, but said, "Wait - didn't he throw the kid out of the tower?"

My sister thought it was mostly too slow-paced but liked the bear scene. She's still on her "I hate Robb" tirade.

My friend said that Ygritte is one of his new favorite characters (awwww) and that the stuff with Theon has "gone too far." :P

My sister thinks that Jaime and Brienne are falling in love, but that when Tywin finds out he will try to stop them from getting married, and then something bad will happen to Tywin.

She also thinks that if Robb takes Casterly Rock, then Tywin will leave King's Landing to attack the Starks, and he'll take the Tyrells (specifically Loras) with him.

Lols. This is too much fun.

Just watched the last couple episodes with my friend and she has sooo many questions and loves me to tell her book differences, she's a real trip. AND OBSESSED WITH THE SHOW. lol. I know this is long but I'm always super curious about Unsullied opinions, so I'd read it :P Maybe someone else will find it interesting. Oh, and sometimes things get a little lost in translation because English is her second language.

A few weeks ago she BEGGED me to tell me if Robb lives. Like...she literally started crying and begging me at my feet!!!! She told me that she had to know because if he did she needed to prepare for it. After enough crying I sadly told her, "yes." She was devastated and for some reason thinks it won't be for another couple of seasons, and I just let her think that :\ lol...she begged me to tell her who killed him and Roose happened to be standing next to him! So I pointed at him. "WHAT?!??!?! WHO'S HE?!??!" But at least she doesn't think it'll be for a few seasons, so she feels relieved....for now!!! muahua.

She doesn't like Ygritte because she's jealous she's with Jon Snow. haha. She thinks Robb is getting sexier with every episode.

When Karstark killed the Lannister boys she blamed Cat and said she hates her, because she makes the worst decisions and that Karstark killing the boys is her fault (eh). But she said that Robb is also kind of an idiot for marrying Talisa and that she is distracting him from the war. She believes their relationship won't last because she "doesn't seem like a major character."

She's curious if Cersei will still love Jaime even with a stump. After the bath scene she said he's kind of growing on her and she feels pity for him, but still doesn't like him. She's over him throwing Bran out of the tower, but is still upset that he sleeps with his sister.

She thinks Grey Worm is super sexy. "DAMN HE IS FINE." :lol:Thinks that Robb is an idiot for thinking the Freys will give him an army. She is so confused who Jojen and Meera are. She doesn't understand why Sansa seems so happy while talking to Loras or happy ever. She FREAKED out when Sansa asked if her parents could come to the wedding. "Is this girl for real??? OMG She is an IDIOT!! Does she understand anything happening around her????!?!"

Then I told her someone's balls get cut off in the next episode because she asked for an interesting sneak peak into it, and she said, "OMG JON SNOW LOSES HIS BALLS?!??! WHAT??? I am devastated PLEASEEE TELL ME!!!! NO!!!" Now she's horrified and convinced that Jon's about to get castrated :lol:

I'll update when we finish ep. 7

The thing that annoys me about reading forums of unsullied is that sometimes there are people who seem to be passing off spoilers as speculation. They include leaps of logic and statements that it's not really reasonable to guess based off of what is known. Someone on that TWOP board basically explained that it was LF behind nearly everything and I'm just like ...really? You're going to do that to them?

But if they did just figure that out on their own (something I refuse to believe), it just makes it all the more ironic that people seem to not be believing them.

Really?? I'm gonna have to call :bs: on that. I call them book-walkers!!

Eta: My friend is still convinced that Robb will go again crying for help to Balor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: OK, I take that back. Now, I believe they can guess that because my friend just told me that Tyrion is going to kill Tywin.

Really?? I'm gonna have to call :bs: on that. I call them book-walkers!!

Eta: My friend is still convinced that Robb will go again crying for help to Balor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: OK, I take that back. Now, I believe they can guess that because my friend just told me that Tyrion is going to kill Tywin.

The prediction isn't what matters. Given enough time and a finite number of characters, you will eventually guess every possible ____ is killed by ____ combination.

What matters is the reasoning that led to it and how specific it is. That is what makes me believe some of these people are impostors.

Tyrion will kill Tywin can be guessed by anyone. Making the leap that he will do it with a crossbow (random thing to guess) is more suspicious.

I saw someone say that Tywin will be poisoned at Joffrey's wedding. Something that there is little reason to think and leads me to believe that they just replaced Joffrey with Tywin. Is it ridiculous to think someone will die at the royal wedding? Of course not. But does it make sense to think that it will be poison specifically? Does it make sense to think that Tywin will be killed by anyone in his family at all, when all of them have been shown to be submissive to him? No and no. The thought that Tywin will be killed at all, given that he has not been shown to have any weaknesses and has walked away from every confrontation triumphant, is out of left field. You might say "oh but the fact that he has not been defeated just marks him for death even more!" But Ned was portrayed as the main character and we know how that ended, so people who supposedly possess the amazing deductive skills these people do would know not to rely on tropes too heavily for predictions.

Of course, I could also be being a cynical jerk...

The prediction isn't what matters. Given enough time and a finite number of characters, you will eventually guess every possible ____ is killed by ____ combination.

What matters is the reasoning that led to it and how specific it is. That is what makes me believe some of these people are impostors.

Tyrion will kill Tywin can be guessed by anyone. Making the leap that he will do it with a crossbow (random thing to guess) is more suspicious.

I saw someone say that Tywin will be poisoned at Joffrey's wedding. Something that there is little reason to think and leads me to believe that they just replaced Joffrey with Tywin. Is it ridiculous to think someone will die at the royal wedding? Of course not. But does it make sense to think that it will be poison specifically? Does it make sense to think that Tywin will be killed by anyone in his family at all, when all of them have been shown to be submissive to him? No and no. The thought that Tywin will be killed at all, given that he has not been shown to have any weaknesses and has walked away from every confrontation triumphant, is out of left field. You might say "oh but the fact that he has not been defeated just marks him for death even more!" But Ned was portrayed as the main character and we know how that ended, so people who supposedly possess the amazing deductive skills these people do would know not to rely on tropes too heavily for predictions.

Of course, I could also be being a cynical jerk...

While I'm sure there are a few bookwalkers polluting the threads, I don't really think it's that suspicious. Like you said, it's not unreasonable to guess that shit might go down at Joffrey's wedding, and someone might get killed.

It's also pretty easy to guess that poison might be the weapon of murder. Most people are going to want to get away with their murders, so the options are either: completely overwhelm every single enemy at the event and openly side with someone else (RW) or poison them to obfuscate who did it (PW). Not a hard guess at all.

I would say guessing that any of Joffrey, Cersei, Tyrion and yes Tywin being poisoned at the PW is a perfectly reasonable thing to think. All of them have people who want them dead. At the moment the Lannister kids aren't standing up to Tywin, but it's not really a big assumption to say that at some point, one of them will have had it up to here with him. Tropes do come into play in this series, Martin just employs a lot of smoke and mirrors to disguise it (and D+D have removed a lot of that I feel.). You do not build up someone's brutal dominance over his children for seasons and have nothing come of it. And in a series like this, death is the most likely outcome.

So I don't think there's anything suspicious about these guesses. Even if someone guessed that Joffrey will be poisoned at his wedding by the Tyrells I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt (though I would be rather incredulous) providing they laid out what their reasoning was. The clue's are all there, and the Tyrells have ample reason to kill Joffrey.

The clue's are all there, and the Tyrells have ample reason to kill Joffrey.

In the books. Not in the show, where Marg completely controls Joffrey. At the moment killing him by the Tyrells makes no sense at all (given that they haven't even revealed whether the tyrells know about Ros). I agree with the rest of your post though.

snip

In the books. Not in the show, where Marg completely controls Joffrey. At the moment killing him by the Tyrells makes no sense at all (given that they haven't even revealed whether the tyrells know about Ros). I agree with the rest of your post though.

Yeah, I agree. I'd also add that the show hasn't mentioned guest right, and how bad or treacherous is to kill someone during a dinner. So they might not consider that, and may think that someone dying in a wedding is very possible.

My non-reader friend, when watching Arya training with Anguy, thought: “Guao, Arya has had the chance to receive training or advise from the best (Syrio, Jaqen, Anguy…); I totally see her becoming a great warrior sooner or later”. I tried to keep my face neutral.

He has loved the BwB since their first appearance, especially Anguy; he didn’t even mention the Gendry thing, so I guess it didn’t change his mind. He enjoys magic, Beric coming back to life and all that stuff; he asked me if there is really a Lord of Light, because he thinks it’s just “magic” the priests can do: I didn’t know what to answer.

As before, he loves Jon&Ygritte and thinks Jaime is falling in love with Brienne. In fact, I joked that they could do a romantic escape across the Narrow Sea, and he said, totally serious, that he had already thought about that and thinks it's the only way they would be happy; but he wonders what would Jaime do for a living without his hand LOL :laugh:. He admires the intelligence of the Queen of Thorns and also Tywin and Margaery (actually, he wants Lady Olenna in the Iron Throne haha)

He surprised me when he said that he never hated Theon; treason was bad, but he understands his motives. On the other hand, he’s finding it difficult to forgive Robb for marrying Talisa and Catelyn for releasing Jaime (both terribly stupid mistakes according to him) He said “Poor Theon” and also “Poor Sansa” (he doesn’t dislike Sansa, he just sees her as such a child). He asked “How will the Theon story end? He will find a way to escape, won’t he?” In the end, I had to quote Ramsay “If you think this has a happy ending…”

He does dislike Daenerys, keeps on calling her “stupid” (I don’t really understand why); he says that her “idealism and integrity” won’t help her ruling Westeros, even if she gets to conquer it thanks to her dragons.

I'd say there's still hints. The very fact that Joffrey is a psychopath that Margaery is expected to marry is a good enough reason to have Joff killed and replaced by Tommen who is obviously kinder and gentler (to anyone who still remembers he exists.). And that crossbow scene in (IIRC) episode 2 was rather laden with hints that Margaery might kill Joffrey. I really don't see how that's such unreasonable speculation.

Yeah, I agree. I'd also add that the show hasn't mentioned guest right, and how bad or treacherous is to kill someone during a dinner. So they might not consider that, and may think that someone dying in a wedding is very possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until after the RW with Brans ghost story. IT would be too much of a give away at this point and I think and the Rat cook story is the best way to introduce it since it also sort of sets up uncat as well, AS others mentioned doing at Crasters wouldn't have worked b/c they ended up breaking the guest rights so it wouldn't feel very sacred. I still think they will show them breaking bread but will hold off on the explanation of why they are doing it and maybe emphasize the sacrilige of the act afterwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until after the RW with Brans ghost story. IT would be too much of a give away at this point and I think and the Rat cook story is the best way to introduce it since it also sort of sets up uncat as well, AS others mentioned doing at Crasters wouldn't have worked b/c they ended up breaking the guest rights so it wouldn't feel very sacred. I still think they will show them breaking bread but will hold off on the explanation of why they are doing it and maybe emphasize the sacrilige of the act afterwards.

I think the Rat Cook story is going to happen in episode 10 according with the sinopsis of said episode:

Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator.

So, my guess is that in the next episode Cat is going to remind Robb of the Guest Right and of asking for something to eat as soon as they get to the Twins. That way they could "fool" the audience. And then in episode 10 people will know of how really bad that was, and how there will be some kind of revenge, justice, and hope.

Meh, I acknowledged I could just be being pessimistic, as I am prone to be.

The people I've seen who think Daenerys is stupid tend to be people who are familiar with what happens when someone tries to impose their morality and values on another group through occupation/warfare. One person I saw was an American soldier who drew parallels to US efforts in the middle east. That's what gave it away to them that it won't be as easy as most unsullied think it will be.

I am not sure why my friend has that opinion of Daenerys, I need to talk it through with him; but I think it has a lot to do with him comparing her to people like Varys or Littlefinger, Tywin or the Queen of Thorns. I guess when he says “stupid” he means that she is straightforward most of the time, trusts too much her dragons and her own strength; just arrives to a place and says "I am Daenerys Stormborn of... and I'm gonna conquer you". Although he has no doubt that she will be able to conquer Westeros, he doesn’t think she’ll stand a chance against other “players” when the time arrives to play the game of thrones and figure out all the political intrigues, plots, alliances…

Also, he thinks you need to be a bit cold and ruthless to keep the Iron Throne; he sees a very honest and compassionate side in her that, in his opinion, won’t help her at all. I try to convince him that she can be ruthless, especially with her enemies, but he still doesn’t see her as an efficient ruler.

Archived