[BOOK SPOILERS] Did tonight's episode Reveal that Tywin...

knew about/planned the PW?

When Joffrey and Tywin are having their awkward, hostile conversation, Tywin says: "We could arrange to have you carried."

Can this be read as a sort of threat? As in, we can arrange to have you carried...because it'll be pallbearers that are carrying you?

If this is true, does that confirm that Tywin knew/was in on the Purple Wedding?

Looking way too into it. Tywin was just controlling Joffrey. He (correctly) saw Joffrey as a pretentious and inexperienced brat who had only damaged the realm, and worse still had the kind of madness he had seen in Aerys. So he's doing his best to keep Joffrey in his place.

They just wanted to reaffirm Tyrion's line about "7 kingdoms united in fear of Tywin Lannister": not only the kingdoms, also the king himself.

Nahh Tywin gains nothing by Geoffrey dieing.....it's through him that the Lannisters control everything....he's just giving his grandson a bit of a dressing down....

He gains nothing for himself, indeed, but he would be getting a more docile king if Joffrey dies and they crown Tommen instead.

(But not, I don't see Tywin planning to kill him)

I love how they had Tywin walk up the steps so that he could look down on Joffrey.

That was the best scene of the episode, I think. Specially when Joffrey kinda cowered back.

Sometimes when you know the future everything looks like foreshadowing but there's nothing in that line that suggests that Tywin knows about the PW.

The same theory came up in the books too, because of Tywin's line about "not winning the war of five kings to seat Robert the second on the Throne."

I think in season 2 when Theon said "you'd make me a eunuch and a fool?" that seems like foreshadowing.

Tywin would never condone the killing of someone who had Lannister blood in his veins. He had the gold cloaks search high and low for the lower-tier Tyrek Lannister. Even though he despised Tyrion he still went to war over his kidnapping by Catelyn. The one unending consistency in his character has always been his diehard dedication to the preservation of House Lannister.

No, not to my mind. In fact I saw Tywin being very happy with himself in the way he handled Joff. I saw him walk a way a man sure he can get the boy king under control.

And the stairs comment was just Tywin shaming Joff.

But, it also showed Tywin making an error... he didn't have correct information about Dany and her dragons. It was actually Joffrey that was showing proper concern and asking the right questions.

I like more this Joffrey: it shows a more smarter Joff than his book counterpart, who is only squeaking around that he's the king and he's able to hurt anyone he wants to, when actually, he's not that stupid. He knew what words to say to hurt Tywin when he says what his father thought of him.

But, it also showed Tywin making an error... he didn't have correct information about Dany and her dragons. It was actually Joffrey that was showing proper concern and asking the right questions.

We have no idea how long it's been since they've got a report from anyone about the "Targaryen girl" and her dragons. When they were in Quarth their skulls were smaller than the size of "apples"

Dany is still half a world away and there's not much that they can do about her at the moment. They don't have the money to hire a Faceless Man and Jorah and Selmy seem to be pretty good at stopping assassins from killing her.

Does Tywin even learn about Dany and her dragons in the books? If he does it seems like he dismisses it as a rumor.

Tywin mentioned earlier to Cersei how she couldn't control him and basically said that he would, I think this was showing him following through with it and letting the viewers know who is really in charge. Tywin is one badass mofo.

On the secondary topic of dragons. I think some people will be pissed that it's not so much of a "silly rumor" at this point in the series, but I like it. In the books It was a bit of a plot hole that all this shit was going down in essos for so long with everybody and their grandparents knowing that dragons were back except the people who should know. It was silly.

Archived