[BOOK SPOILERS] Did tonight's episode Reveal that Tywin...

I think Tywin was pointing out that Joffrey was being a wimp. "You're the king and you can't walk up a few stairs?"

You're reading too much into it.

I agree, he was implying Joffrey was being childlike, hence needing to be carried about. He was talking down to him the whole time. He may not like his grandson, but he'd never be involved with the plot surrounding the PW. Tyrion still lives, and I think he regards him even less than Joffrey, and he's still 'waddling about', as his lovely father puts it....

Looking way too into it. Tywin was just controlling Joffrey. He (correctly) saw Joffrey as a pretentious and inexperienced brat who had only damaged the realm, and worse still had the kind of madness he had seen in Aerys. So he's doing his best to keep Joffrey in his place.

Tywin and Tyrion were the only ones who didn't put up with Joffrey's bullshit, even as King.

:agree: I love TV Tywin!

This was actually one of my favourite scenes in the season so far. Having Tywin standing under Joffrey then walking up to stand over him was not a subtle way of demonstrating how much authority he has over the king but it was highly effective, both to the audience and to Joffrey himself.

The king does not go to see his servants. They come to him. Tywin challenged the authority of the king by moving the Small Council to his quarters, and he continues to do this throughout this whole episode. Suggesting that he could be carried there was a deliberate misunderstanding on Tywin's part.

And by the way, he acts quite stupid by dismissing the threat Daenerys poses - that's what that moron Mace Tyrell does at the end of ADwD. Book Tywin never got to know about Dany and her dragons, but if he had known, he would have done anything in his power to get her killed before she reached Westeros.

Echoing others, agree TW is not in on the PW. A hopefully novel point as well, Tywin's response is NOT "well, we can move the meeting back to the Small Council chamber if you want" or "we can move it for those times you wish to attend." Moving the meeting for the convenience of the King is not put on the table, only the specific silly complaint is addressed.

It wasn't a threat, it was a way of saying "I'm not taking your shit, kid."

Tywin would never condone the killing of someone who had Lannister blood in his veins. He had the gold cloaks search high and low for the lower-tier Tyrek Lannister. Even though he despised Tyrion he still went to war over his kidnapping by Catelyn.

Except for Tyrion, later, during his trial...

As for going to war, we all know he didn't do it for Tyrion.

That said, Tyrion is probably the only exception.

I love how they had Tywin walk up the steps so that he could look down on Joffrey.

That was awesome . .. . Joffrey did bring up a good point about The Dragons, if the Dragons are real they will become a threat even though they are way on the other side of the world. Eventually they could come back and Joffrey would become Dragon food.

I love any scene with Tywin in it. Charles Dance plays the role perfectly.

Would have liked Joffrey to have been a little more ignorant of how much his grandfather is not to be fucked with, and maybe had that established more clearly in the scene. The bit with the stairs was a good touch though.

that was great! Joff trying to act casual while Tywin looms over him in a really intimidating manor... giggle giggle giggle

It's a bit of a stretch, IMO, to call it foreshadowing of the PW. Twyin said something, which is very telling of his principles to Olenna, "If the rumors about my children are true, then Joffrey is no king." Tywin's a shit father and a generally horrible person, BUT he does at least seem to have some guiding principle (?) The line suggests he understands Joffrey would not be entitled to the throne as a non-Baratheon. Whether that means Tywin would give up power, who knows. But he does believe in the legitimacy of his grandson and wouldn't knock the little shit off the throne in the PW. I assumed he said the line and walked up the stairs for emphasis as in, "Look, you little fucker, see how walking up stairs ain't that hard! Even an old fart like me can do it."

They were sparring. Joffrey correctly noticed that he is being kept away from actual decision making, and that moving the small council meetings was a power grab on Tywin's part. Joffrey has no desire to be a figurehead - he wants to be the actual absolute monarch and is trying to figure out how that works. He's also telling Tywin that he knows what is going on and doesn't like it.

Tywin refused Joffrey's authority by sidestep - he didn't challenge the concept that Joffrey was actually in charge, but he didn't give him any ground. I assume that the result of this discussion will be Joffrey thinking of a new issue to use to assert himself, and pushing harder next time.

They were sparring. Joffrey correctly noticed that he is being kept away from actual decision making, and that moving the small council meetings was a power grab on Tywin's part. Joffrey has no desire to be a figurehead - he wants to be the actual absolute monarch and is trying to figure out how that works. He's also telling Tywin that he knows what is going on and doesn't like it.

Tywin refused Joffrey's authority by sidestep - he didn't challenge the concept that Joffrey was actually in charge, but he didn't give him any ground. I assume that the result of this discussion will be Joffrey thinking of a new issue to use to assert himself, and pushing harder next time.

This is about right. Tywin is running the show, and he is showing Joffrey that that is the case, but Tywin is wise enough to know he shouldn't disrespect 'the office' by not observing the niceties or it will neuter Joffrey in the eyes of other subjects, causing long term problems. If Tywin ever needs to truly teach Joffrey a sharp lesson, it will be completely in private. Tywin is all about the long term interests of his blood line. He needs to win the war in the short term, mold Joffrey into something less than a kid with matches in the medium term, and ensure Joffrey is respected as a powerful monarch once Tywin is dead in the long term.

But, it also showed Tywin making an error... he didn't have correct information about Dany and her dragons. It was actually Joffrey that was showing proper concern and asking the right questions.

I actually made a comment about that to my husband, that despite the fact that Joffrey is a sniveling little bastard, he's actually taking Dany seriously as a threat which puts him leagues ahead of anyone else in Westeros. Heck even in ADWD at the end Kevan is still "Pah! Dragons..not an issue" and no one is worried, something that always strikes me as amusing.

On the scene generally I noticed that they managed to make Joffrey not only seem small but very young, something about him screamed "kid" to me in a way that I hadn't gotten this season. I really liked the scene and didn't actually expect Tywin to have so much control over Joffrey. It was nice seeing him sweat, especially since he's likely going to be unbearable in the next few episodes as the Starks fall.

Archived